Post Office phone and broadband switchover starts
Thursday 18 July 2013 09:31:17 by Andrew Ferguson

We have just updated our listing for Post Office broadband to reflect that as they are moving to a new supplier there will be changes to their product range but as yet the new product details are not known. The new names look likely to be Broadband Essential (with usage limit) and Broadband Premium (unlimited).

This product refresh is likely to see ADSL2+ rather than the current up to 8 Mbps limit but no sign of fibre service options as part of the £500m five year deal announced over a year ago. This deal will see connections provided over the TalkTalk wholesale network, which a number of smaller providers already use and covers some 95% of UK households, importantly this wholesale network can offer both fully and partially unbundled services. For those outside the LLU footprint, we expect a BT Wholesale based service to be used, but managed by TalkTalk.

It appears from our user forums that people are being sent letters informing of the forthcoming changes to their service, with dates of 29th July and 2nd September being mentioned. The current Terms and Conditions page has contract information for those who signed up before 22nd July and another set for afterwards. The new terms indicate that payment by a Post Office Budget Payment Card will remain an option.

Many people are worried that because TalkTalk is involved it will mean full LLU, but while the terms and conditions do not mention this aspect, the presence of broadband without HomePhone shows that shared LLU (where the voice line rental is with another provider) will be an option at least.

Update Friday 19th The Post Office has released a guide for existing customers detailing the changes, the summary being:

• Broadband Essential (formerly Standard) usage allowance now 10GB/month
  • Broadband Premium (previously Broadband Extra) retains its 100GB fair usage limit (advertised as unlimited), but the slow down kicks in after the first month (from 2nd September)
  • New security package for Premium customers, that includes firewall and monitoring software to safeguard children.
  • Broadband Essential £8.15 per month
  • Broadband Premium £12.80 per month
  • Home Phone with Evening and Weekend calls £13.25 per month

Comments

Posted by zyborg47 over 3 years ago
Oh the poor soles. i must make sure that my brother wants to stay with them.
Posted by herdwick over 3 years ago
Poor fish ?
Posted by perryrsr over 3 years ago
It shouldn't be an issue I would say. My broadband is with AAISP and they recently switched my broadband service to use the TalkTalk wholesale network, to take advantage of of ADSL2+, as BT haven't bothered to put ADSL2+ in my exchange yet. My broadband is now running at 3M, compared with 2M when I was using the BT wholesale network. My phone line is still with BT retail, so this shows that if the TalkTalk wholesale network is used, it doesn't have to mean the phone service is provided by TalkTalk.
Posted by Oldjim over 3 years ago
How can they describe it as unlimited with 100GB FUP
I thought OFCOm had banned that
Posted by dragon1945 over 3 years ago
Won't help me. We won't ever get Fibre. Even replacing the 50 year old copper cables isn't going to happen, even though Egham, supplied from the same Exchange as us have got Fibre, when they already had good BB speed. Isn't it time those who live out of town got a fair crack of the whip? I pay for "up to 8MB" . Used to get 2MB. Now I only get 1.75MB. Perhaps the ISP's should start from the outside and work their way in. Or maybe they should only charge me 1/4 of the BB charge?
Posted by SE09 over 3 years ago
I moved to PN from the PO just before the 2nd of sep as TT are slow where I live and also I didn't want the fup or TT

I had adsl 1 problems for about 6 months, sync 8128 throughput 0.2 - 4 meg, the PO blamed btw, btw blamed the PO

after moving to PN adsl 1 (cockup) my adsl 1 speed was back at 7 meg throughput 8128 sync, so it was the PO lying to me and most likely capping me without telling me. (they had no info on my usage)
i'm now on adsl2+ at 11 meg throughput and i'm happier, but would like my full line speed of 17meg