Broadband News

Post Office phone and broadband services to move to TalkTalk network

Fujitsu is a long term partner working with the Post Office since 2006, and it is now set to manage a £500m five year contract to provide broadband and telephone services to the Post Office.

The new contract will see the actual broadband and telephone service provided by TalkTalk and is thought to be worth £100m to TalkTalk, with Capital providing customer support and MDS supplying the billing. This replaces an existing contract that the Post Office had with BT, and may put a dent into the revenue for BT Wholesale in particular.

The Post Office broadband service was rare in that it only offered an ADSL based service even in areas where ADSL2+ on the WBC BT Wholesale platform was available. The TalkTalk LLU network has been offering ADSL2+ since its creation (though was capped at 8 Mbps for a while), and now covers 92% of UK households.

For consumers it is far too early to know what precise products people will be put onto, e.g. if taking both phone and broadband whether they will moved onto a full LLU service or use partial LLU. Partial LLU is a lot simpler to migrate away from, but can be more expensive to run.

Comments

So what do Fujitsu actually do for their £500M if talktalk provide the actual service for only 100M?

• Kr1s69
  • over 5 years ago

"Fujitsu has partnered with TalkTalk to deliver the NGN platform, with Capita for the customer contact centre and with MDS for advanced consumer billing and settlement solutions."

• herdwick
  • over 5 years ago

time to warn my brother that he should think about changing ISp pretty quick.

• zyborg47
  • over 5 years ago

Withe an investment of £750million, it looks like the Post Office are intending being a major player, intending to significantly increasing their 500,000 customers. Though looking like quite a loss to B.T. who as usual refused to lower their price, possibly they will continue to load their customers to balance the books.

• professor973
  • over 5 years ago

I would advise Post Office phone and broadband customers to move ISP as soon as possible.

• the_islander
  • over 5 years ago

What will happen to customers where LLU isn't available?

• PiKe
  • over 5 years ago

dose this mean my my broadband will stop working ive got PO home phone and LBO broadband or will it continue to work as normal

• acpsd775

No, it's fine.

• Dixinormous
  • over 5 years ago

What about customers that don't want LLU?

• professor973

IS A GOOD MOVE

• babis3g
  • over 5 years ago

@acpsd775 As you have broadband by another provider, they will do the phone service via WLR, i.e. no change really

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 5 years ago

@PiKe where LLU is not available, then can still be provided by TalkTalk, just will be TalkTalk - BT Wholesale for that 8% of households

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 5 years ago

Hey ISLANDER & ZYBORG - not all bad. I was on half a meg bb with BT who could not improve the service to my remote-ish village, but TalkTalk installed new equipment in my exchange 2k away, and I swapped over to their service through DST (Direct Save Telecom) and now get 6.25mb - BRILLIANT, AND I get a UK call centre, all for £2-49 a month, yes no typo, £2-49! Also got a free Netgear wireless-N router too!!

• amips
  • over 5 years ago

Do people actually still sign up to Talk Talk.
I could never even get a reply from them despite registering the letters regarding them taking over the phone line after I made an enquiry about their service.
I never did sign up to them.

• ivorsoutar
  • over 5 years ago

Anybody know what this effect will have on me? I have had, without problem, the Post Office Homephone/Broadband package for over 3 years. When I have approached TalkTalk (ONLY because they offer a cheaper service) they say they cannot provide a service to me because the local (village) exchange is not "enabled". Also TT do not receive very good Press. Do I really want to be part of TalkTalk?

• gaddersgolf
  • over 5 years ago

Precise effect unknown, Fujitsu should manage the change, and inform customers of any changes in due course

• andrew