Broadband News

UK hits 15% full fibre mark

The FTTP roll-outs have continued throughout lockdown and the pace appears to be picking up. 

The jump from 14% to 15% has taken 48 days, where as the previous jump to 14% had taken 56 days. 12 months ago at the end of July 2019 the FTTP coverage was just 8.4%. The UK figure as of 9am on 16th July is 15.02% of UK premises with 1 or more FTTP option available to order.

The lockdown while not affecting the roll-outs did make it harder for people to order and get the services installed but with the easing so long as precautions are taken getting services installed should be fairly straightforward. With lots of people contemplating do they return to the office full time or mix and match office days with working from home, we expect there to be a rise in people taking up full fibre services, both for the higher upload speeds but once any initial setup faults get fixed it should be a lot more reliable in the long time than DSL services.

One cautionary note if you are chasing the ultimate in low latency that FTTP is not inherently massively better than VDSL2, unless you have a high level of interleaving error correction. A good FTTC line with can ping close to your ISP network at under 10ms, and good in does not neccessarily mean short lines, the latency is driven by interleaving and physical network distance to where you are pinging. 

The top twelve local authorities for full fibre availability are listed below, if you want to see the full list visit  https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/councils which is sortable and links to each individual council. 

  1. City of Kingston upon Hull 99.03%
  2. Belfast 72.82%
  3. Milton Keynes 68.47%
  4. York 62.09%
  5. Salford District 58.5%
  6. Lisburn and Castlereagh 57.07%
  7. Tameside District 56.71%
  8. Exeter District 56.52%
  9. Derry and Strabane 54.15%
  10. Ards and North Down 51.45%
  11. Barking and Dagenham 51.16%
  12. City of Westminster 50.73%

These 12 are the only ones with coverage above 50%. Unfortunately at the bottom end of the table there are councils like Isles of Scilly 0%, Orkney Islands 0.17%, City of Portsmouth 0.52%, Lincoln District 0.69% and West Dunbartonshire 0.7% so it is clear the coverage is far from uniform.

Some of the areas added on Wednesday include Openreach FTTP in Paignton, Barry, Wales and Bathgate, Scotland as well as new areas for the Vodafone Gigafast service in Huddersfield and Coventry.

Comments

25% of UK Local Authorities and Regions hit 15% full fibre. Doesn't sound as good :)

  • Swac3
  • 27 days ago

I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but was looking at 'Thanet' council area, and your figures suggest Full Fibre (FTTP or FTTH): 49.31%. I'm not sure if this is the case as Virgin Media is 46.52%?

FTTP (non-Virgin) has only just recently started rolling out here and would assume the figures are still less than 10%?

  • SlimJ
  • 27 days ago

"The jump from 14% to 15% has taken 48 days, where as the previous jump to 14% had taken 48 days"
Is this correct? The headline says it is accelerating but this paragraph suggests it is flatlining as both the last 1% leaps took the same amount of time? The "where as" doesn't make sense here as it is the same result.

  • ian72
  • 27 days ago

Portsmouth has big fttp incoming so that looks sorted not sure on the others...

  • Croft12
  • 27 days ago

Fixed was meant to be 56 days for the 13 to 14%. Morning coffee had not made it to brain.

  • andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • 27 days ago

On Thanet remember that some Virgin Media roll-out areas are actually FTTP i.e. RFOG

  • andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • 27 days ago

"Tameside District 56.71%" Not in my part of Tameside;-(. Mossley, OL5 postcode area. Wish they'd do something up here, not even got Virgin around these parts. I'm stuck at 38mb, that's the maximum my line supports.

  • cuzuk
  • 27 days ago

Roughly every 2 months there's 1% growth in FTTP coverage. That means if we were to multiply 5 years, that's the equivalence of 60 months (12x5=60). This will result in 30% added growth + current 15% making it 45%-50% FTTP coverage by 2025.

This pace needs to increase to 1% every 30 days so in 60 months UK will achieve 60% FTTP plus existing 15% to get to 75% coverage. That would be great, but everyone knows that won't happen & by the time it theoretically accelerates the UK will not achieve 100% FTTP by end of 2025.

For 100% it has to be 1.5% growth every month which seems quite difficult!

  • BLaZiNgSPEED
  • 25 days ago

There is no goal of 100% FTTP by the end of 2025.

Political goal is 100% Gigabit coverage i.e. using DOCSIS 3.1 too

So rework your maths.

  • andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • 25 days ago

The original pledge with over 43K google results all mention categorically "Full Fibre", these are the words of Boris.

Boris said: “Let’s say goodbye to the UK’s manana approach to broadband and unleash full fibre for all by 2025.”

This has been clearly used for election purpose. Now that Boris has won, he has dodged this promise & has now changed it to gigabit coverage instead (cheeky)!

With Virgin's DOCSIS 3.1 + 5G no doubt UK will achieve 100% Gigabit coverage. But if we exclude Virgin Media, my maths is correct! Let's not forget Full Fibre & Gigabit coverage are two different things!

  • BLaZiNgSPEED
  • 25 days ago

Cannot fully exclude Virgin Media since they are the second largest deployment of FTTP via their RFOG roll-out.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8605-conservative-manifesto-and-what-it-says-on-broadband

November 2019 ahead of the election.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8682-we-have-worked-out-how-much-of-the-uk-will-have-a-gigabit-option-in-2025

Numbers will have changed a bit but general thrust remains,

NOTE: 5G does not automatically equal Gigabit coverage.

  • andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • 25 days ago

I wonder. Is Openreach required to eventually cover exchange-only areas if there's an altnet present?

  • Draak
  • 25 days ago

Is Openreach required to eventually cover exchange-only areas if there's an altnet present?

What do you mean by required?

If the 100% Gigabit is to be met, then something will appear for EO, it might be something commercial e.g. Virgin Media or Openreach doing it commercially (as they are doing in some areas already as part of Fibre First)

The other option is part of the £5 billion government funding.

No legal requirement on Openreach to provide FTTP in EO areas exists at this time.

  • andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • 25 days ago

> No legal requirement on Openreach to provide FTTP in EO areas exists at this time.

This is what I was afraid of. There is Virgin Media present in my EO area, meaning Openreach might abandon this area for good. I had a hope for G.Network but they've just moved farther.

  • Draak
  • 25 days ago

Ok, the original plan was full fibre & it is now a mix of full fibre & Gigabit.

Since Virgin Media covers 52% of the UK, the rest of the 48% will come from mix of altnets & Openreach FTTP. This way 100% coverage can be met. But what happens if there are FTTP overbuilds in VM Gig1 areas? Then 100% Gig cannot be met!

For this to work areas with no VM coverage must be served with altnets like in my case. But if wayleave/red tape remains a barrier, which most likely it will, neither Virgin or FTTP will be able to serve these areas by 2025. Hence why scenario 2/3/4 predicts 73.9-88.9% Gig range.

  • BLaZiNgSPEED
  • 25 days ago

You did notice the scenarios don't take into account the £5 billion from Government.

On the overlap - well on top of tracking that.

  • andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • 24 days ago

'Since Virgin Media covers 52% of the UK, the rest of the 48% will come from mix of altnets & Openreach FTTP. This way 100% coverage can be met. But what happens if there are FTTP overbuilds in VM Gig1 areas? Then 100% Gig cannot be met!'

VM are still building and intend to indefinitely. Either they or their parent company building a wholesale FTTP access network under the name 'Liberty Networks' will be building for the foreseeable.

In your case you could simply get a place of your own if FTTP is a key requirement. I did.

  • CarlThomas
  • 23 days ago

We're in a council block (only 3 floors and 6 flats, not tower) but somehow I can't see us getting FTTP any time soon. On FTTC with Zen and we get 40/10 which is fast enough for our current needs, but it's still annoying.

  • g6urp
  • 21 days ago

I believe the 15% figure so it's a bit worrying that the Chief Executive of Ofcom thinks it's only 12% as quoted in the link below (dated today)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/07/23/telecoms-must-learn-lessonsof-covid-19-ring-changes/

  • gt94sss2
  • 20 days ago

Post a comment

Login Register