Making broadband switching easier
Thursday 19 April 2012 13:26:30 by Andrew Ferguson

The switching of broadband providers a few years ago was relatively simple as there were few if any broadband and telephone bundles. The rise of the bundle, which benefits consumers by offering cheaper services, has made the area more complex, and our recent survey of users who had switched providers revealed 20% have a gap in service of more than a week between providers.

How long were you without broadband in-between switching providers?
How long were you without broadband in-between switching providers?

The news on broadband switching is not all bad; 42% reported a seamless changeover, but with broadband being critical to so many people these days whether they rely on it to work from home part time or whether kids use it for homework research, there is still quite some way to go.

We ran the survey so that we could have some baseline data for when Ofcom finally implements a new migration process that should make switching easier across the myriad of products in about a year's time. The results revealed to us that with these changes many months away there was a distinct need for some simple consumer guidance, and to that end we have created a guide on switching your broadband provider.

The guide provides an explanation of the processes that can and should be used by providers.

Phrases such as SMPF, WLR, MPF, NoT are total gibberish to most people, so we have created an easy to use Migration Tool that should help the majority of users with the correct migration path. Of course for more personal advice, visit our broadband forums, where you will always find someone who can figure out your specific situation.

Comments

Posted by mike41 over 5 years ago
Yet another useful tool for non-techies like myself. Thank you very much, I don't know how we would manage without TBB and its forums!
Posted by fibrebunny over 5 years ago
Apologies we do not have the logic to advise on this move.

Ooops :p
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 5 years ago
What were the four options you picked FibreBunny?
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 5 years ago
Believe I figured out which combination you had tried from the logs, and have fixed it.
Posted by gsituffers1 over 5 years ago
as both bt sky and now vm employee this tool is brilliant -but am nearly a millionare now for the amount of calls recd saying my new supplier said virgin refused to release my number or my new supplier said they would cancel all my services for me - i hope ofcom and their plan to aid moving suppliers get it right and we dont end up going down the route of slamming like gas and elec went down some years ago -
Posted by b4dger over 5 years ago
I also get:
"Apologies we do not have the logic to advise on this move".

I'm - 'BT phone bill', and 'other' (Freeola/Entanet) ADSL...
Let me know if you want more details or if it's just me :¬)
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 5 years ago