Broadband News

Fuel Broadband customers sent new Post Office account info

Goodbye Fuel Broadband and hello Post Office is something HomePhone and Broadband customers of Fuel Broadband (New Call Telecom) will be saying this morning as they catchup on their overnight email.

Fuel Broadband Closure Notice

Email details changes to Fuel Broadband services

Customers should have first got wind of the forthcoming changes with an email sent on 31st May 2017, when Fuel wrote to people about the move and highlighting that the two services share the same network (i.e. TalkTalk Wholesale). For those in a minimum term period transfers like this do not break your contract unless their is a significant change in the service to your detriment, e.g. slower speeds or higher prices.

Fuel Broadband Closure Notice

Welcome letter from Post Office

The latest emails appear to contain both the new username and password (in two different emails) and our recommendation is that people as soon as possible change the default password to something that is secure and only they know. As is common with block moves of customers like this the new provider is often keen to make an offer to get people locked into a new contract, so for example HomePhone customers can opt for a £15/m line rental package with a new 12 month contract.

Sending out the account details so far in advance of the actual move dates which appear to be 28th July 2017 may confuse people, thus highlighting that these emails have gone out so that people do not miss the new account login details.

Comments

I've had this, except my "specially handpicked offer" is actually £17.50 for a 12-month contract which includes evening calls. It's a bit misleading to say they've put together a great welcome offer, it's actually no different to their normal packages. Plus the "paying a little bit more" is also misleading. It amounts to 23.5% more in my case, or 37.5% more once the lock-in period is up. Granted, PO is one of the cheapest, but it still underlines the extortionate line rental charge for those like me who only need the landline for emergencies because there is no mobile reception.

• csimon
  • 11 days ago

Is that HomePhone+Broadband at £17.50 or just voice line rental?

Be interesting to see what other offers people have had.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • 11 days ago

Super-cheap operator charging insanely low prices with no network of their own and no way to cross-subsidise goes pear-shaped. I'm shocked.

• CarlThomas
  • 11 days ago

Andrew: It's home phone only (line rental + weekend calls), I didn't have broadband with Fuel, they seemto have picked the "sepcial offer" which is most equivlent to the old Feul package. The £17.50 is the Post Office's standard 12-month contract line rental + evening/weekend package (which goes up to £20 I think after the 12-month contract), it's not an offer specially for Fuel customers who are transferring as the email seems to imply.

• csimon
  • 11 days ago

In your example email above, the "handpicked welcome offer" is $15 (line rental + weekend calls). If you go to the Post Office web site, this is their normal package (12-month contract) or those willing to pay a year's line rental up-front, which amount to the same thing. The "We guarantee your price stays the same for the duration of the contract..." is also something that's fairly normal when you pay upfront or enter into a contract, but they're trying to make it sound like it's a bonus because you're transferring.

• csimon
  • 11 days ago

This wonderful "handpicked welcome offer" is £15 per month. That's quite a lot more than the £8.59 per month I was paying to Fuel. Not to worry: I'm moving to a better value supplier of my own choosing.
The annoying thing is that I don't want a phone line at all. It's only there for the FTTC and has never had a phone plugged into it after the first week, which was beset by junk calls.

• hoopla
  • 11 days ago

Hope the Ex Fuel customers like Capita's call centres atrocious totally scripted support that they give for the P.O. Oh, and dont wait for the supervisor to call you back. You'll be drawing your pension before you get one...

• ukwoody
  • 11 days ago

How can moving from one company to an other not break minimum contract terms? different companies, just because they share the same network should not come into it.

• zyborg47
  • 11 days ago

Has happened numerous times in the past, and if a firm is in financial trouble and services might otherwise cease it is a much more preferable path to the mess created by the other way - who remembers E7even

TalkTalk sold a block of a off-net customers to Fleur Telecom previously

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • 11 days ago

I had my original email on the 30th May for one line I have which is phone only. Having investigated PO prices, I decided to move to a different supplier, the order was placed on the 1st June and that move took place this morning.
Despite a confirmation email from Fuel on the 2nd June confirming the transfer date and notification of Early Cancellation fees of £0.0 I received 2 emails from the PO on Tuesday confirming account details and transfer date of 27th July etc (as above).
I've also had a bill for line rental from Fuel until 30th June!!
Will update later when I've kicked this about.

• ChrisAO
  • 11 days ago

@ChrisAO - can you tell me who you've moved to?

• csimon
  • 10 days ago

How nice is it to come online to find out that fuel are closing.
No email sent to explain this, no internet since Christmas and no understanding of why.
Hopefully once switched I will get some internet!

• Danielle26
  • 10 days ago

I look after my Grandads phone package. He is not moving to Post office who are raising the price by almost double, Got a far better deal from SSE.

• shalton
  • 6 days ago

Apparently you do have the option to terminate your Contract with FUEL without any charges, if you don't want to transfer to the Post Office.

Look under FAQ's on the Fuel website.

I am defo leaving, found FUEL very hard to deal with.

• daveswebb
  • 6 days ago

I was with e7even! anyway Fuel been good to me really. But will see what their offer is. Plenty of deals our there. I rang them as the PO were offering £20 pm BBand which was less than I was paying(to new customers)I said I was leaving unless they matched it. They said sorry no deal. The guy there (in Blackburn?) said that most of the staff were being made redundant so no incentive there.The Telecoms companies have a licence to make money and don't care. Ofcom has no teeth. Bottom line line is its Openreach that runs the network so we're all stuck with the monopoly and they can't be shifted.

• ThorpeCottage