Broadband News

FTTC self-install gets the full commercial launch tick on 29th September

Self install FTTC broadband has been a hit with many people as they don't need to be home on the day of activation and providers like BT, Sky and TalkTalk have embraced it with all-in-one VDSL modem/router combinations. The success is marked by Openreach taking off the market test wrapper to commercially launch the service at the end of September 2014.

The PCP Only aspect in the Openreach briefing refers to the fact that an engineer still needs to go your green street cabinet to move your wiring so that it goes via the fibre cabinet and for that they charge £49+VAT. Fortunately for most people this charge is spread out across the 12, 18 or 24 month contracts and for providers this was a welcome reduction compared to the £92 charge to bring an Openreach modem to the home, or £99 to also connect an ISP router. The competition to poach FTTC customers should have increased in July when migration costs dropped from £50 to £11 too.

There will be those still keen to get the best possible speed from their new VDSL2 connection, and the wide spread availability of Openreach FTTC faceplates means that while microfilters are the easiest option those wanting the best possible speeds can easily fit the same faceplate as the engineers. The VDSL faceplate fits the exact same way as the older I-Plate. The VDSL faceplate removes the broadband signal from the extension wiring which can slow down speeds and supports a dedicated data extension via IDC connectors on the faceplate.

Self install has actually become so common that there are reports of engineers now being surprised when they turn up to an install on a provider that should actually be a full engineer install with supplied Openreach modem.

Comments

As I migrated away from Digital region I'd already fitted a vdsl faceplate but I was surprised to see the openreach engineer test the line at the cab and at the nte5 socket with a box of tricks .This did not happen when I was activated with ripwire on DRL's network

• 2doorsbob
  • over 3 years ago

Hi Broadband Watchers.
Get real this operation is only a 30 min job that is is the rate for the contractors aprox £20 .

• Blackmamba
  • over 3 years ago

Is self-install limited to the lower 40Mbps packages, or is it up to the ISP?

• WWWombat
  • over 3 years ago

Hi Wombat
Remember this is an open market you pay your money and take a chance or choice. ( buyer be ware).

• Blackmamba
  • over 3 years ago

I'm glad I ordered my FTTC when I did, the BT engineer replaced my old socket with a shiney new NTE5 :-)

(On two recent FTTC installs too the engineers have both thought that I should have my own VDSL modem provided by the ISP, one was at work and one was at home, both Zen)

• EnglishRob
  • over 3 years ago

I probably should clarify too, I'm not digging Zen, their service has been brilliant, it was well worth the couple of quid a month extra over Talktalk or Sky, just seems the engineers didn't realise they had to provide me with a modem.

• EnglishRob
  • over 3 years ago

Cabinet status = Under review = Never ever?

• otester
  • over 3 years ago

Like EnglishRob, I'm glad that I got my FTTC last year. The BT engineer earned his money as we still had an old-style socket (which is smaller than the newer one) and he had quite a job chiselling out the skirting board to fit the new socket). He did a neat job - far better than I would have managed. The Openreach Modem was also neated fitted where I suggested on the wall. I agree that self install may be fine for those already with new - style sockets, but not for those of us with older wiring.

(I'm also a highly satisifed Zen customer.)

• SJGoodenough