O2 adds over 70,000 customers in a quarter
Friday 13 November 2009 15:07:30 by Andrew Ferguson

Telefonica, the owner of O2 UK has published its latest figures, and they show that a major milestone has been crossed by O2. The firm now has 527,126 broadband lines in the UK (figures include both O2 and Be customers). While this looks small compared to the big three of TalkTalk, BT Retail and Virgin Media, when you look back at previous figures you can see that just 12 months ago they had 267,090 lines, and the total net additions of 70,244 was higher than the previous quarter, suggesting the services popularity continues to grow.

O2's broadband service has not been without its problems, the 'O2 Access' product which is only sold in areas where they have not unbundled an exchange has seen various congestion problems which tend to go hand in hand with trying to run an unlimited service over the BT Wholesale 20CN and 21CN networks. How large a segment of the customer base are 'O2 Access' customers is unclear, but we suspect it is a small proportion.

Be Broadband may be the small and sometimes quirky partner in the O2 brand, but it was among the first providers to offer ADSL2+ in the UK some years ago, and is now involved in providing wholesale services to other broadband providers.

Maybe in another 12 to 18 months, unless Orange manages to turn around its customer churn, O2 will over take them in the league tables and break the one million customer market.

Posted by herdwick over 7 years ago
still a long way to go in selling broadband to their mobile customers, they're the biggest mobile company by users (21m ?) so 0.5m broadband users is very tame - especially when you look at the loss leading pricing and cashbacks being thrown around.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 7 years ago
Yeah that herdwick or people only want their LLU ADSL2+ fast broadband, dont see where mobile figures enter the equation, Orange have a mobile network and broadband service though their broadband seems to have unhappy punters, plenty happy with their mobile service though. The facts are people are subbing to higher speed services with no silly BT based service restrictions.
Posted by shaunhw over 7 years ago
Well the BE/O2 LLU network is still really great, especially for the money they charge.
Posted by timmay over 7 years ago
O2 seem to have now fixed a lot of the problems with the LLU here in Canterbury and I'm very happy with the service and price! I just wish as a mobile operator they had a better 3G network as I want to get an iPhone but might have to go to the Orange side just to get 3G coverage in more than one place.
Posted by zyborg47 over 7 years ago
It is a real shame that they not unbundled our exchange, if they did then I doubt if I would have gone with BT. I doubt if O2 will even touch our Exchange, just rubbish Talk Talk and orange comes to us.
Posted by audioslim over 7 years ago
I was with Be a few years back, before they were taken over by telefonica. I jumped ship to Sky for cheap broadband but have just come back to O2 for the same. Be/O2 still have the best network capacity per user and I cant now see why I ever left.

Posted by herdwick over 7 years ago
Posted by DavidS over 7 years ago
I have been using ADSL since the days of the frog modem. Unfortunately my exchange is not unbundled. I made the mistake of switching from Metronet to O2 Access three months ago. It is without doubt the wort internet access speed I have ever had. At times it is slower than good old fashioned dial up. Quite simply at peak times it is unusable. I firmly believe that no matter how good the LLU service is O2 should stop selling the O2 Access product until they sort out the congestion issues.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 7 years ago
Posted by blueacid over 7 years ago
O2 haven't said anything to me about broadband; compared to Sky they're certainly not driving their customer base to shift. In fairness, there has been the recent TV ad campaign, but as far as direct marketing goes, I've not received any!
Posted by herdwick over 7 years ago
failing to advertise may be part of the failure to acquire customers. BT Retail gained more net customers in the quarter than O2 despite the apparent brilliance of the O2 product.
Posted by dangermouse1981 over 7 years ago
To say O2 broadband is not without its problems is a massive understatement.

It amazes me that such a large company can be so incompetent when managing its growth. Very much a case of grab the money while we can and hang the consequences for our existing customers.

The video illustrates what you can really expect to get from O2 :
Posted by fletch777 over 7 years ago
If they are re-cruiting so many new customers then you would have thought they would invest money in unbundleing these exchanges ? o2 tried to make me pay extra to use the unbundled exchange near me but i was having none of it and am now paying what i was paying at my old address !!!!!!!
Posted by mikevybiral over 7 years ago
I was persuaded to sign up with O2 access for another year (first three months free). Almost immediately the service went to pot (again). No more that 0.5 Mb/s 18.00 - 23.00 for last fortnight with lows around 250kb/s. I sync with the exchange at 7.6 Mb/s and until a year or so ago, service was nearly always 6Mb/s. Now I seem to be getting 3.8 Mb/s max even at 5am. I'd gladly pay a bit more for better service. Is Newnet the answer? Regards to all, Mike
Posted by otester over 7 years ago
Access has traffic management now lol.

Check out TitanADSL, on tuesday their lines will apparently be working again, request one of the new packages (can no longer order O-Bit via site due to issues).

Or check out ICUK.
Posted by kevin42 over 7 years ago
Andrew said, "Not sure how much advertising O2 do to their own customers, but with Sky it is pretty relentless."

Well the answer is none whatsoever.

I am with O2 on an unbundled exchange - 8Mb connection running at 6.7 without overheads. I am 4.5 km from the exchange which is a dodgy old derelict. No evidense of traffic shaping on my line.

Not bad.

I get first class intelligent service from Customer Services whose first language is English.

Yup, I am a happy bunny.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 7 years ago
QUOTE""dont see where mobile figures enter the equation" - what ? you have 21m customers and you only manage to sell another product to 0.5m - abysmal performance. Even Sky have sold a lot more broadband connections with a smaller customer base to sell too."
Rubbish, i bet sky have more TV subscribers than the do broadband, just as BT have more phone line subs than they do BT Vision, figures from other areas dont come into it
Posted by CARPETBURN over 7 years ago
cont... We may as well say BT are Crap as they dont have as many broadband or BT Vision subscribers as they do phone service subscribers. Different areas of business always sell differing amounts.
Posted by stevecrang over 7 years ago
I'm on the O2 Access product, and as I live in a rural area I know i can't expect superfast speeds, but I DO expect something a bit faster than 0.1MB!!! Check out the speedtest result below:

On average, download speed is less than 1MB and if it doesn't improve my the time my minimum contract is up next March, I'm jumping ship...