Broadband News

Setting up your own microwave Internet link

It's frustrating when you have found a new home only to find that the broadband service is simply not to expectations. As someone who'se currently using a 1Gbps symmetric service from one of the FTTH providers (which was very welcome as this property relied on ADSL2+ rather than FTTC!), moving back to even FTTC, let alone a slow FTTC service in the 15Mbps range would be very challenging, when you're using to just using the Internet without thinking about speed. Working from home this year has probably meant more of the public understand the importance of high quality broadband.

When Alex Bloor, General Manager of AAISP bought a new property, the developer told him (in writing) that FTTC broadband would be available, technology that can deliver up to 80Mbps speeds (typically advertised 'up to 76Mbps') but when he was about to move in, reality set in.

"I realised that it didn't seem to be true at the time the promise was made, but I guessed I believed the developer might have been working with BT/Openreach to put in infrastructure. As it got closer and closer to the day I had to move, it became apparent that this was not going to happen. I live my life online, professionally and personally. I needed a faster internet connection [...] than 10 or 15Mbps."

Alex Bloor

It isn't clear in the video whether the service available through copper phone lines is indeed ADSL2+ due to for example direct exchange lines or slow FTTC lines — It appears as though Virgin Media Gig1 may be available nearby although possibly not available at this property (not uncommon for services to be available to some nearby properties but not others), so an out-of-the-box solution was a great idea.

Alex has produced a video to show how we used Ubiquity Networks' microwave equipmen to link his flat up to a local datacentre (CentriLogic) to go from 15 to 150Mbps (and a bit more when things worked well, a bit less when it didn't):

We'd like to take this opportunity to wish all our readers a Merry Christmas, and we hope 2021 will be much more joyous and social than 2020 (even if it takes a few more months to get there!)

Comments

Flash embedded video in 2020? :p

• Apilar
  • 28 days ago

Adobe: Flash EOL in less than a week
Thinkbroadband: Let's embedded some Flash content

• Vista2003
  • 28 days ago

Video link for anyone else unable to view the embedded flash version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AAOVVmaFEo

• omegapoint6
  • 28 days ago

Flash player in 2020? Time for un update.

• rian
  • 27 days ago

How much will it cost to rent a line from a data center?

• rian
  • 27 days ago

"It isn't clear in the video whether the service available through copper phone lines is indeed ADSL2+"

He literally says that in the opening sentence.

• csutcliff
  • 27 days ago

Urgh.. I copied the code from another site (embed thing) to avoid an iframe which is what YouTube offers and doesn't work on our news (long story)... I thought I picked non flash one but.. urgh.. sorry

• seb
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • 27 days ago

Was going to add it worked on may mobile which flash doesn't so not sure if it's actually using flash?

• seb
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • 27 days ago

@csutcliff - he did but I wasn't able to verify the details as I don't have his exact address but I saw indications of FTTC being available nearby hence the comment.

• seb
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • 27 days ago

i would haves expected a lot more homework on what was availalbe to have been done by
someone who was a a general manager of a Service provider - a non industry resident you can understand that - but not someone who is in the industry

• fastman
  • 27 days ago

Never mind the Flash - why are they over a week behind ISPr! -

• ZenUser27
  • 27 days ago

@fastman: I'm sure Alex did research but his video didn't provide his postcode (there's two very close postcodes in the area based on the map location) so we had to make some guesses and therefore we didn't know 100% what exactly was available so hence the caveats. Regardless of the solution, this is probably better than anything available in terms of FTTC even if speeds were better (the Virgin availability nearby is a bit more challenging but that may not be suitable).

• seb
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • 24 days ago

@ZenUSser27: This wasn't a press release (at least not where I saw it); it popped up on a feed from Alex's post that I saw and I wrote it on the day I saw it. I don't read ISPreview daily so hadn't seen it. Our focus is a bit different from ISPreview most of the time but inevitably there will be some overlaps.

• seb
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • 24 days ago

Flash doesn't work even after download.
His problem lies with the developer

• vorticella
  • 24 days ago

This plugin is not supported. Frankly, I'm not surprised!

Samsung Galaxy S6-lite Android 10 based Tablet released in UK May 2020, with shite Samsung Overlays. Currently deleting those one at a time as Samsung refuse to even acknowledge they exist! Their "updates" are slowly but surely filling my ROM! Surely that can't be deliberate, can it? Apologies to Frank and Shirley

• Martin2013
  • 24 days ago

This plugin is not supported. Frankly, I'm not surprised!

• Martin2013
  • 24 days ago

Hi ref alex 15Mbps you are lucky!
rual lincolnshire 6Mbps on agood day !

• paulharness_7
  • 24 days ago

Hello, could we please see this video. Flash Player has been discontinued.

• Johnnywalker46
  • 24 days ago

Has no one noticed the video is dated 2017? Fibre has expanded a bit since then

• ronjohnreid
  • 23 days ago

The video is not dated 2017 - the video was published less than two weeks ago. The fibre that was not available in 2017... is still not available now!

• bloor
  • 21 days ago

Removed video. I was a bit surprised about flash as it worked on iOS which flash doesn't work on. We can't attach iframe due to how the CMS works so can't embed it here unfortunately.

• seb
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • 21 days ago

I mean, i've been doing this for years and so have tons of others. This isn't special. The only thing that is special is perhaps getting a data centre to agree to let you put one on the roof.

• lordxenu
  • 17 days ago

@lordxenu: "How did he end up with water in it too ? I haven't ever managed that on any of my microwave links."

Even BT managed that on their Scoval mast five years ago and it was undiagnosed for so long (despite thousands of customers suffering sub-1Mbs speeds for months) that some were posting 3.5" disks to customers because it was quicker than e-mail! See https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-35241648

• GraceCourt