12 months of reduced prices in the 12 cities Hyperoptic serve
Monday 01 June 2015 11:07:00 by Andrew Ferguson

Hyperoptic has a new set of offers on its broadband and phone bundles, which are available in over 100,000 premises across some 12 cities in the UK.

• 100 Mbps symmetric broadband only, £30 per month for 12 months then £35 per month. £40 setup fee applies.
  • 1000 Mbps symmetric broadband only, £50 per month for 12 months then £60 per month. £40 setup fee applies.
  • 100 Mbps symmetric broadband with phone line, £12 per month for 12 months plus £16 per month for the phone line. Broadband standard price is £22 per month.
  • 1000 Mbps symmetric broadband with phone line, £30 per month for 12 months plus £16 per month for the phone line. Broadband standard price is £47 per month.

The minimum contract term is 12 months, and an entry level 20 Mbps download (1 Mbps upload) service is also available. As of 11am the Hyperoptic website was still showing the old offer, but this should hopefully update soon and be replaced with the new offers.

Comments

Posted by fabrettitd about 1 year ago
is this another Plusnet? Their customers are now complaining of slwo bad service and then BOOM! another offer to get more customers on their crippled network?

Oh dear :(
Posted by mdar5 about 1 year ago
So do you have evidence of customers complaining of slow bad service from Hyperoptic?

Or are you just making it all up?
Posted by generallee94 about 1 year ago
I have...

and I read some complaints on another forum elsewhere last year...
Posted by fabrettitd about 1 year ago
@mdar5 - from this very forum. I rest my case.

@general - thanks!
Posted by mdar5 about 1 year ago
Thank you for the evidence!
Posted by generallee94 about 1 year ago
No problemo guys :)
Posted by antony_j_smith about 1 year ago
Plus the prices have actually gone up.

The 100Mb broadband only offer used to be £17 for 6 months then £35 for the remaining 6 months which worked out £352 for 1 year [with installation].

It's now £30 for 12 months so £400 [with installation]. Which is great!
Posted by antony_j_smith about 1 year ago
Btw, they are just competing an install at my apartment block in Leeds, I was rather excited at first but have been totally underwhelmed by their pricing and the fact they seem to want to push a VOIP service on me I don't want.

I bet most people like me only get the bloody POTS line as it's required to carry the BB in the first place, and then never use it, so why the hell would I want a VOIP service that's not required!
Posted by antio about 1 year ago
Without doubting those who have issues, I've been with Hyperoptic for 3 years and never had any congestion issues. I'm on a 100/100 Meg and consistently get >93 up/down, even during peak times. Yes, it comes with useless VoIP, but it's a small price to pay for fibre when BT had forsaken us! They are investing money and have to make it back somehow.

In that thread, there seem to be issues only with users from specific areas/developments. I'm in SE16 and had the Sam Knows kit connected directly to the router 24/7 for 2 years and regularly run speedtests with no issues.
Posted by antio about 1 year ago
BTW, my speedtest on here:
Posted by antony_j_smith about 1 year ago
Thanks for the perspective @antio but if they are trying to re-coup investment why does the same tier Broadband and VOIP cost less than the Broadband on it own for the first year? It's absurd and makes no sense.
Posted by antony_j_smith about 1 year ago
For example 12 month intro 'offer'
100Mb - £30 pm
100Mb - £12 pm VOIP £16 pm

The handset, configuration of VOIP service costs money than BB on it's own so why does it cost less? Bearing in mind this is a 12 month contract so you are not tied into the higher rates after this period.
Posted by locutus about 1 year ago
Maybe there's more profit in VOIP calls, so they want people to take that and ditch their land lines? I'm happy with the service generally, but never make chargeable calls on my voip phone. I think problems are development specific. Most people in our block would have been in contract to BT/Sky/etc. when Hyperoptic came along so probably didn't get the uptake of the newer developments from day one. That said, I can see about 6 Hyperoptic router SSIDs from my flat, though maybe that says more about the poor quality construction of new builds more than the routers.
Posted by Michael_Chare about 1 year ago
I see that you can now have a broadband only account, and then maybe use someone like Voipfone for VOIP.
Posted by antio about 1 year ago
@antony_j_smith I really wouldn't know to be honest! Configuring the VoIP service wouldn't cost them that much really: it's a standard SIP service and the router is pre-set up - only needs a new username/password pushed. It has 2 POTS ports and it's up to the customer to connect any old phone. I am guessing that they make money off phone calls, as locutus said. I personally use a 3-rd party voip provider who charge $0,001 per minute (yes, that's USD!) so couldn't care less about a 'landline'.