Free router for new customers on Plusnet £9.99 broadband
Thursday 23 October 2008 12:22:00 by Andrew Ferguson

Broadband Your Way Option One from Plusnet now comes with a free wireless ADSL modem/router which would normally cost £29.99.

Option One is £9.99 per month and a 2GB usage allowance. The product has a one month contract, if you take the wireless router it will only be free if you stay for 12 months, otherwise you have to pay for the router.

Comments

Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
Anyone know What model of router is it??? To get an idea if its worth taking it for free and being tied for 12 months or not. I have a relative that only uses the net lightly (odd email and shopping)and Plusnet would be ideal for them
Posted by nadger over 8 years ago
Should be Thomson TG585 v7 - using one myself and works fine.
Posted by Dawn_Falcon over 8 years ago
...they have flaky wireless.
Posted by nadger over 8 years ago
Never had a problem with Thomson routers myself and Plusnet are now supplying router with their own tailored firmware - see [url=http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/09/12/plusnet-to-supply-thomson-broadband-routers/]here
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
Isnt wireless flakey on every router?? Or maybe its just my house that has proper concrete walls rather than paper mache. IMO that doesnt seem to be bad equipment at all, would be more than good enough for my relative. 12 months and you keep it free also IMO is fair. If they gave em away with just 1 months contract people would abuse the offer.
Posted by timmay over 8 years ago
1p more per month and you can have O2 Broadband with no usage limit and twice the speed (off peek) ... lol at plus.net
Posted by rogan8 over 8 years ago
"1p more per month and you can have O2 Broadband with no usage limit and twice the speed (off peek) ..."

Where available of course
Posted by c_j_ over 8 years ago
@timmay: O2 do have some interesting deals but please don't mislead; the O2 broadband for £10/month only applies on O2-LLU'd exchanges and if you're a qualifying O2 Mobile customer too, otherwise it's £15/month for LLU or £22.50 if not LLU. You can be a qualifying O2 mobile customer by spending £10 a quarter on PAYG topups. Further Ts+Cs apply. There's also an even cheaper deal. All one year contracts with a massive charge to go "back to BT".

Posted by jchamier over 8 years ago
CJ = "All one year contracts with a massive charge to go "back to BT""

No charge to move back, as its not full LLU but partial, so you can MAC code to any BTwholesale provider.

Not like leaving Bulldog, TalkTalk, or Orange fully unbundled lines.
Posted by c_j_ over 8 years ago
JC, are you 100% sure? Moving voice+DSL from LLU back to BT is indeed afaik priced as a BT fresh install ie £100+.

But aiui Openreach still want ~£40 to move the DSL bit from LLU DSL to BTw DSL. It's up to the ISP to decide whether the customer picks up the full £40 or not; volume broadband is now low margin so what's likely?

I thought I'd seen the £40 here on AG news but right now can only find it at http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/migration.htm

Or maybe £40 isn't massive, in which case...
Posted by jchamier over 8 years ago
Oh, perhaps the gaining ISPs I've looked at had offers on. Be only charge a £20 startup fee... ?
Posted by uniquename over 8 years ago
I thought the item was about Plusnet?

But anyway, migration from O2/Be involves a new supply charge from most ISPs including Entanet - £47 from them except freeola. Newnet is free.
Posted by NetGuy over 8 years ago
I think the comments about migrations are going off the point... the lowest deals (for Sky, TalkTalk, and O2/Be, etc) are only applicable if the exchange has the LLU kit, else it's using BT and the ISP adds on to cover the fees they pay.

It's therefore unlikely someone can get one of the ISP deals at about a tenner without going LLU and having some fee payable if they move back to BT later...
Posted by Dawn_Falcon over 8 years ago
nager - ouch. Definate avoid then. At least with stock firmware you can update to patch out issues.

Carpet - no. Quite a few routers are fine...
Posted by ianwild over 8 years ago
There is no reason you can't put back on the standard TG585 firmware if you want to. We've taken a conscious decision not to lock the routers down like some providers do.

Ian
Posted by nadger over 8 years ago
Beat me to it Ian. All I can say is that both my previous ST576 and this TG585 have performed perfectly well so I've never had any "issues"

Posted by chrysalis over 8 years ago
plusnet getting desperate for customers, 9.99 customers must be barely profiteable as it is and I be surprised if any profit at all from them now throwing in a £30 gift.
Posted by nadger over 8 years ago
It's purely a one month special promo that most companies do from time to time. They've just fired up another chunk of central bandwidth so customer numbers must be growing.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 8 years ago
quote"@ Carpetburn - the purpose of the tailored firmware is to make it easy for a new Plusnet customer to get up and running as quickly as possible not to stop the router from being used elsewhere."
Maybe i gave the wrong idea, i actually think the offer isnt bad at all, even if it was firmware locked which it isnt, it would still be a pretty good deal, ive informed my relative as a cheap, basic service, with resonable free equipment will suit them perfectly.
Posted by nadger over 8 years ago
If they don't want to use the wireless side it's a 4 port router that works well with ethernet connection.
Posted by uniquename over 8 years ago
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the wireless performance of my 585v6, or my O2 585v7.

My Linksys WAG54GS was always rubbish, then got to be unusable.
Posted by Dawn_Falcon over 8 years ago
ian - fair enough. I've had to replace enough routers from the..cheaper end..of ISPs where the firmware was locked to versions sometimes two years old and very buggy (and in one case a firmware pre-alpha...)