Broadband News

Free router for new customers on Plusnet £9.99 broadband

Broadband Your Way Option One from Plusnet now comes with a free wireless ADSL modem/router which would normally cost £29.99.

Option One is £9.99 per month and a 2GB usage allowance. The product has a one month contract, if you take the wireless router it will only be free if you stay for 12 months, otherwise you have to pay for the router.

Comments

Anyone know What model of router is it??? To get an idea if its worth taking it for free and being tied for 12 months or not. I have a relative that only uses the net lightly (odd email and shopping)and Plusnet would be ideal for them

• CARPETBURN
  • over 9 years ago

Should be Thomson TG585 v7 - using one myself and works fine.

• nadger
  • over 9 years ago

...they have flaky wireless.

• Dawn_Falcon
  • over 9 years ago

Never had a problem with Thomson routers myself and Plusnet are now supplying router with their own tailored firmware - see [url=http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/09/12/plusnet-to-supply-thomson-broadband-routers/]here

• nadger
  • over 9 years ago

Isnt wireless flakey on every router?? Or maybe its just my house that has proper concrete walls rather than paper mache. IMO that doesnt seem to be bad equipment at all, would be more than good enough for my relative. 12 months and you keep it free also IMO is fair. If they gave em away with just 1 months contract people would abuse the offer.

• CARPETBURN
  • over 9 years ago

1p more per month and you can have O2 Broadband with no usage limit and twice the speed (off peek) ... lol at plus.net

• timmay
  • over 9 years ago

"1p more per month and you can have O2 Broadband with no usage limit and twice the speed (off peek) ..."

Where available of course

• rogan8
  • over 9 years ago

@timmay: O2 do have some interesting deals but please don't mislead; the O2 broadband for £10/month only applies on O2-LLU'd exchanges and if you're a qualifying O2 Mobile customer too, otherwise it's £15/month for LLU or £22.50 if not LLU. You can be a qualifying O2 mobile customer by spending £10 a quarter on PAYG topups. Further Ts+Cs apply. There's also an even cheaper deal. All one year contracts with a massive charge to go "back to BT".

• c_j_
  • over 9 years ago

CJ = "All one year contracts with a massive charge to go "back to BT""

No charge to move back, as its not full LLU but partial, so you can MAC code to any BTwholesale provider.

Not like leaving Bulldog, TalkTalk, or Orange fully unbundled lines.

• jchamier
  • over 9 years ago

JC, are you 100% sure? Moving voice+DSL from LLU back to BT is indeed afaik priced as a BT fresh install ie £100+.

But aiui Openreach still want ~£40 to move the DSL bit from LLU DSL to BTw DSL. It's up to the ISP to decide whether the customer picks up the full £40 or not; volume broadband is now low margin so what's likely?

I thought I'd seen the £40 here on AG news but right now can only find it at http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/migration.htm

Or maybe £40 isn't massive, in which case...

• c_j_
  • over 9 years ago

Oh, perhaps the gaining ISPs I've looked at had offers on. Be only charge a £20 startup fee... ?

• jchamier
  • over 9 years ago

I thought the item was about Plusnet?

But anyway, migration from O2/Be involves a new supply charge from most ISPs including Entanet - £47 from them except freeola. Newnet is free.

• uniquename
  • over 9 years ago

I think the comments about migrations are going off the point... the lowest deals (for Sky, TalkTalk, and O2/Be, etc) are only applicable if the exchange has the LLU kit, else it's using BT and the ISP adds on to cover the fees they pay.

It's therefore unlikely someone can get one of the ISP deals at about a tenner without going LLU and having some fee payable if they move back to BT later...

• NetGuy
  • over 9 years ago

nager - ouch. Definate avoid then. At least with stock firmware you can update to patch out issues.

Carpet - no. Quite a few routers are fine...

• Dawn_Falcon
  • over 9 years ago

There is no reason you can't put back on the standard TG585 firmware if you want to. We've taken a conscious decision not to lock the routers down like some providers do.

Ian

• ianwild
  • over 9 years ago

Beat me to it Ian. All I can say is that both my previous ST576 and this TG585 have performed perfectly well so I've never had any "issues"

• nadger
  • over 9 years ago

plusnet getting desperate for customers, 9.99 customers must be barely profiteable as it is and I be surprised if any profit at all from them now throwing in a £30 gift.

• chrysalis
  • over 9 years ago

It's purely a one month special promo that most companies do from time to time. They've just fired up another chunk of central bandwidth so customer numbers must be growing.

• nadger
  • over 9 years ago

quote"@ Carpetburn - the purpose of the tailored firmware is to make it easy for a new Plusnet customer to get up and running as quickly as possible not to stop the router from being used elsewhere."
Maybe i gave the wrong idea, i actually think the offer isnt bad at all, even if it was firmware locked which it isnt, it would still be a pretty good deal, ive informed my relative as a cheap, basic service, with resonable free equipment will suit them perfectly.

• CARPETBURN
  • over 9 years ago

If they don't want to use the wireless side it's a 4 port router that works well with ethernet connection.

• nadger
  • over 9 years ago

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the wireless performance of my 585v6, or my O2 585v7.

My Linksys WAG54GS was always rubbish, then got to be unusable.

• uniquename
  • over 9 years ago

ian - fair enough. I've had to replace enough routers from the..cheaper end..of ISPs where the firmware was locked to versions sometimes two years old and very buggy (and in one case a firmware pre-alpha...)

• Dawn_Falcon