Broadband News

14 more Gigabit Cities announced as part of CityFibre FTTP roll-out

Residents of 14 more cities and towns in the UK can look forward to a FTTP roll-out via CityFibre where for the residential market Vodafone via its Gigafast service has a few years of exclusive access.

The 14 new locations are Batley, Bradford, Derby, Dewsbury, Doncaster, Inverness, Ipswich, Leicester, Lowestoft, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Rotherham, Slough, Swindon and Worthing and once combined with the existing dozen Gigabit Cities we are told the footprint should total over 2 million homes.

CityFibre’s sole purpose is to deliver the future-proof digital infrastructure the UK deserves. With a new Prime Minister set to increase government's ambitions for the pace of full fibre rollout, we are delighted to welcome another 14 towns and cities to our Gigabit City Club. These Gigabit Cities will not only gain new full fibre networks that will spark their digital transformation, but also unleash the benefits that only competitive infrastructure investment can bring.

Our rollout to five million homes is gathering momentum. We have now confirmed 26 locations and over two million homes in our programme. We are investing, we are building, and we are connecting customers to networks of the future.

CityFibre CEO Greg Mesch

The press release talks about the CityFibre £2.5 billion investment covering more than 20% of the UK market and they mention at least five million homes. Unfortunately if you want to address 20% of the UK residential market you need to cover at least 5.7 million homes. It should be noted that when most people talk about the level of FTTP coverage in the UK they are referring to the combined figures for residential and business premises and in places the CityFibre press release does talk about both residential and business premises. If the UK is serious about pushing to 100% FTTP coverage for 2025 as Boris Johnson talks about then these small details are important.

Of the existing 12 locations five have full fibre which is available for residential customers and they are Milton Keynes, Peterborough, Aberdeen, Coventry and Stirling, another five have construction underway. Our current total of premises where Vodafone Gigafast can be ordered is at 63,115 and this is increasing weekly as we follow the build.

Comments

Inverness is on the list...woo hoo! :P

• baby_frogmella
  • about 1 month ago

I wonder if for Doncaster and Rotherham they will be acquiring all the fibre that’s in the ground from the failed digital region project ? As far as I know it’s not being used and is just sat there doing nothing

• ddean83
  • about 1 month ago

Inverness is on the list (its a bit like who dares wins) :-)

• 2beers
  • about 1 month ago

Will we need to have a cabinet that's enabled?. I live in one of the cities and am a stones throw away from the city center but my cabinet does not deliver any fibre.

• nameGoesHere

Not on a EO BTW, just cabinet not enabled 8(

• nameGoesHere

@name
The CityFibre FTTP rollout has nothing to do with Openreach street cabinets, its totally independent of BT/Openreach infrastructure.

• baby_frogmella

@baby_frogmella

Wow I thought all FTTP solutions piggyback Ed off BTs network and as such you have to have a cabinet thats been converted. Thanks for responding and TIL.

• nameGoesHere
  • about 1 month ago

Cityfibre already have a commercial presence quarter of a mile from me but no residential - yet. Doncaster is announced, knew it was coming, just a pity no timescales are mentioned... As for re-using Digital Region, doubt that will happen. Who wants to rely on second hand kit?

• tmcr
  • about 1 month ago

I have their fibre running down our road, it's even shown already on their website.

Is this the same as the residential service?

• philce
  • about 1 month ago

I doubt they will come to Hereford, I doubt BT will even bother with FTTP in Hereford, not that I am that bother.

• zyborg47
  • about 1 month ago

zyborg47: nothing says 'not that I am that bother[ed]' like taking the time to complain on a news article. :) I doubt they will come to Hereford unless they have a persuasive reason to but am sure Openreach will FTTP it at some point.

Philce: no.

• CarlThomas
  • about 1 month ago

CarlThomas I can not see BT doing it either for a while, I am ok with FTTC, it is plenty fast enough at around 25-30Mbs, my only problems is for some reason I can not use anything other than a Huawei modem to connect, it would be nice just to use one unit. sure for people who want the high-speed fibre gives then fine, I just want more reliability

• zyborg47
  • about 1 month ago

@tmcr Why would anyone buy the Digital Region network if they weren't intending to use at LEAST the ducting?

The fibre I can understand, there were rumours they used a type that isn't really compatible with the equipment generally used these days.

• alexatkinuk
  • 30 days ago

Only a few weeks back cityfibre told me no residential plans for Leicester, seems the left arm doesnt know what the right arm is doing, I know work has been going on tho as last year I couldnt order anything, now I can order business services with a zero setup fee due to fibre already existing on my street.

• chrysalis