Broadband News

Hi-Velocity users experiencing migration problems

Users of the provider Hi-Velocity have been contacting us over problems with obtaining Migration Authorisation Codes, in some case taking weeks and for one customer they were told that the delay was with BT, but upon further research by the customer they managed to discover their connection was a Tiscali based one and a MAC was obtained from their wholesale division.

Hi Velocity uses the ISPA logo on its website, but does not appear to actually say they are members of ISPA, the inference of using the logo though is that they are current members. ISPA has confirmed Hi-Velocity was previously a member but is no longer a member.

3812-hi-velocity-small.jpg
Screenshot from Hi-Velocity website

Under Ofcom rules all telecommunications providers are duty bound to belong to one of two Alternate Dispute Resolutions schemes. The providers website lists CISAS, but gives the contact details for The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, contacting CISAS reveals that Hi-Velocity was a member in the past, but is not currently. Contacting Otelo reveals no sign of Hi-Velocity being a member of that scheme either.

Thus if customers of Hi-Velocity are not getting anywhere this leaves Ofcom, who while they do not act on individual issues, will intervene once a pattern of problems has been identified.

We originally emailed Hi-Velocity a week ago over the migration problems, but have not had any response, and on telephoning them to enquire as to which ADR scheme they use was informed the manager was in a meeting and the member of staff was new and did not know the answer. On calling back after 30 minutes as advised we sat in the queue for 15 minutes even though we were first in the queue.

If you are having problems in terms of obtaining your migration code from Hi-Velocity, then as well as contacting Ofcom you can share your problem with others on our forums.

Comments

Hi-Velocity are known for their "unique" attitude to customer service - this attitude could help their demise.

• MrTAToad2
  • over 9 years ago

Oh dear... At one point i actually considered this outfit on a short list for broadband, thank god i didnt... Just the mention of them having ties with "Tiscali" says it all

• CARPETBURN
  • over 9 years ago

• AndrueC
  • over 9 years ago

..and if I ever learn how to spell beaurocrat and related words it'll be a miracle. I'd look it up in a dictionary except unfortunately I can't spell it to find it :D

• AndrueC
  • over 9 years ago

If nothing comes from contacting OFCOM, you would have to get lawyers in.

• MrTAToad2
  • over 9 years ago

quote"So what do you do in this situation? Not that I am (I still like Be) but what would the solution be? Cancel the landline then order a new one?

Surely you don't just have sit around waiting for some ineffectual beaurocrat to wave a wand?"

Write to the bozos, threaten them with legal action and stop paying them each month if they dont comply with your MAC demand would be the first things to do. You would be amazed how quick they suddenly hold up their end of the contract with a MAC if they suddenly aint getting money thats owed.

• CARPETBURN
  • over 9 years ago

I thought this isp was history after their bulldog problems.

• chrysalis
  • over 9 years ago

With reference to Tiscali. They held me to ransom for three months with a tag on my line so that I could not transfer to another provider. I had cancelled my account due to cock-ups in a re-connection and started to use pay-as-you-go instead. They claimed I owed for two months broadband use even though I wrote to them pointing out I had cancelled. I then approached the ISPA who were useless. CISAS was no better and OFCOM didn't want to know. I then wrote a court action letter threatening them with a time limit of 7 days. The tag was removed!!!!! Say no more!!!

• ctormey
  • over 9 years ago

Without really wanting to second guess the situation here... Looking back of over the past few years this fits the pattern with previous ISP collapses. MAC issues, no contact, dropping out of CISAS, etc. Time for a Tin Hat I think.

• KevinR
  • over 9 years ago

quote"I thought this isp was history after their bulldog problems."

Hmm didnt know they had bulldog links also, back when i was considering them (several years ago) they offered a choice of IPstream or Datastream services... The datastream service at the time got quite a lot of praise and had low contention values, I wonder where it and when it all went to complete shambles?

• CARPETBURN

Posted by AndrueC 3 days ago

Download ieSpell http://www.iespell.com/download.php for IE, super bit of free software, I have been using it for some years now, it works perfectly, is unobtrusive and can spell bureaucrat!

• Pixie7
  • over 9 years ago

Has anyone tried the ctormey approach with HIV?

• NoVelocity
  • over 9 years ago

FF3 has spellcheck, Opera10 has spellcheck...

• comnut