Broadband News

BT websites down and out

Hopefully this is just a case of someone having broken something very important, but reports are arriving and when we have checked various BT Group sites and they do appear down.

The main bt.com, btwholesale.com, openreach.co.uk sites appear to be down, we have fired off a question to try and find out why.

This does not appear to be affecting peoples broadband connections, as based on activity on our speed test we are still seeing the expected numbers and speeds for this time of day.

Update 4:45pm Some people did end up with their broadband breaking, though the volume affected is unknown, we have seen a spike in people with a BT connection testing their broadband, i.e. probably checking connection after finding some pages not working. The generic advice whenever a provider has problems of do NOT restart your broadband router, as existing connections will often continue to work, but the authentication part if starting a new connection may fail. Unfortunately as the Home Hub supplied by BT does not respond to pings and thus our BQM monitoring tool, it is difficult to judge how many connections are up or down, apart from those people who have replaced the supplied hardware.

Some BT websites do appear to be coming back too.

Update 5pm

Large numbers of customers have been experiencing temporary issues with their broadband services this afternoon. Customers can still receive and make calls as normal.

We’ve been working hard to fix the issue and are glad to report that nearly every customer affected is now reconnected, approximately two hours after the problem started.

We apologise to any affected customers for the inconvenience.

There is no evidence at this stage to suggest that we were subject to a malicious attack.

BT statement on outage

Comments

My BT Broadband is working. http://home.bt.com/ is working too.

• TheEulerID
  • about 1 year ago

Have looked at live speed tests and volume and speeds look fine too.

Also no obvious big drops on Linx traffic stats which you'd expect if a few million people went offline.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • about 1 year ago

I would suspect a data centre problem as some sites appear to be up, some down. It also sounds like it's preventing authentication of connections (so I hope my router stays up).

• TheEulerID

My speedtest just now

home.bt.com is working, nothing else is. My landline is also dead which due to FTTC is good because it dosen't need it to run ) I don't think?)

• ZenUser27
  • about 1 year ago

Broadband is affected, however not until the PPP session tried to authenticate so connections that remain connected shouldn't have an issue... unfortunately I was unaware o the issue until I just changed a socket and found the PPP wasn't authenticating :(

• generallee94
  • about 1 year ago

Is BT's cooling off period 14/30 days from connection or ordering?

• generallee94
  • about 1 year ago

It seems to be fixed now.

• TheEulerID
  • about 1 year ago

Home broadband is up Business Broadband down...

• tazz_uk
  • about 1 year ago

Some of the services such as Synology and LightwaveRF also stopped.

• TonyTek
  • about 1 year ago

Some parts may be fixed....

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff

3 business connections down in Berkshire

• tazz_uk
  • about 1 year ago

downdetector.co.uk has reports from all over the country that both business and home broadband is down. My friend's broadband in sussex is down and the BT online chat agents have been unavailable the last hour. @Andrew - think it may be much more serious than you think

• tallmattuk

^^^ Agreed

• tazz_uk
  • about 1 year ago

All connections now back up as shown in my tbb graphs too

• tazz_uk
  • about 1 year ago

BT Retail called Openreach for help.

Openreach then told them that if it's a problem with your equipment that they will charge them £150 call out fee.
So please check your router and the Ethernet cables first.
Also try using the master socket.
We can book in for 3 days time, if we show up....

• mark2004
  • about 1 year ago

Just to put things right.

It did affect people's broadband.

I live in NE Scotland and was without internet connection from about 15.00 for about and hour and a half.

• lcman
  • about 1 year ago

When an ISP website is down then things are more complex, as a surprisingly large amount of people go to websites not by typing in the browser URL bar, but from the search box on their browsers home page, which for many is the ISP home page too.

Plus seeing the spike in BT people testing connections, was and still is masking the percentage down.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff

Off in Scot Borders from 2.15 till 5pm

Major faff as router all green lights throughout

• 961a
  • about 1 year ago

Well I can get to my website/mail server in the US without a VPN (via Germany).

Unfortunately I can't get these pages when it is on at the moment

• dgmckenzie
  • about 1 year ago

Our island (Stronsay, Orkney) had problems this afternoon. Subscribers had blue light on their router but not connectivity with error messages about "proxy". Now seems to be back to normal but some sites are glacially slow

• ricardian

Instant Survey:

Do those who had an outage have BT Parental Controls turned on or off?

Do those who had no problems do you have BT Parental Controls turned on or off?

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • about 1 year ago

Turned off, and I didn't lose service. Good thinking on your part.

• TheEulerID
  • about 1 year ago

Turned off and I did lose service

• GMAN99
  • about 1 year ago

own connection, filters off, hh5b, bt 'domestic' fttc, no problem.
but on the same cabinet,
bt business hh5a fttc failed

• ggremlin
  • about 1 year ago

seemed we was lucky at work as the one we use did not go off (stayed connected all day)

seems they broke the authentication services again

the website failing mite of been DDoS from so many users hammering the page to find out whats going on (downdetector hit 18k reports)

• leexgx
  • about 1 year ago

Not just BT customers but BTW customers are affected too e.g. Plusnet, AAISP, ZEN.

• gsmlnx
  • about 1 year ago

Interestingly around that time although I'm on a Gigaclear connection I found certain websites totally non responsive and would not load.
I did at one point wonder if GC had suffered a rare failure but a check of bbc.co.uk which loaded as usual proved the connection was working.

• mdar5
  • about 1 year ago

I'd guess a couple of core routers failed in London

• ribble
  • about 1 year ago

Still patchy here in West Wales - Hub4 needs restarting every 15 minutes or so and even when connected, pings are about half a second.

• fiddler
  • about 1 year ago

Trying to set up some new software for a business in Teignmouth today and it couldn't access the licence server.
Browsing all over the place.
Whole of the UK it seems.

• ahockings
  • about 1 year ago

Boss and his father are both on BT. Both connections connections were down this afternoon (West Wales SWMF exchange).

• warweezil
  • about 1 year ago

ahockings - no problems with my Infinity connection in Teignmouth today, extraordinary! Maybe some gateways only.

• radiomarko
  • about 1 year ago

Business broadband down in North Wales from approx 14:15 to approx 16:45 this afternoon.

• dilbert2k
  • about 1 year ago

Didn't notice the problem with my connection - given the reports it sounds more like a problem in the core than anything else.

I'll bet Ol' Dido was hoping it was the pesky kiddie scripters that knocked off her company striking again. :-D

• TheGuv
  • about 1 year ago

We are covered by Critical Care; I accept these were exceptional circumstances that such cover goes out the window but being totally unaware of the major outage found it frustrating that it was impossible to get through to BT to say we had lost our service.

• trolleybus
  • about 1 year ago

Hence the need for dual sourcing with an alternative supplier not dependent on BT. I switched to a Vodafone mobile hub, which was how I found that it was not just me that down. Hence also the need for national policy to be based on avoiding monopoly dependency.

• PhilipVirgo
  • about 1 year ago

No connection for about 2-3 hours here in Ceredigion. Judging from the comments, outlying areas were the worst hit areas. Perhaps they are able to give urban areas priority when such things happen (?).

• rkimber