Broadband News

Poll looking at the Universal Service Commitment

The previous Labour Government started off the drive for a Universal Service Commitment for broadband in the UK, and while the funding methods have changed, and the 2012 deadline extended to 2015 the USC still stands. We are running a short poll, to see what people think about the USC and its aims.

For those who have missed the results from our recent polls, they are covered in detail on our blog.

Alternatively they are featured in our main news stream. Of course another way to not miss out on the results, is to follow us on twitter, where we let everyone know when poll results have been published.

Our polls usually run for seven days and we endeavour to publish the results the week after they have finished.

Comments

No sign of any fulfillment of the Universal Service Commitment here in West Chiltington.
BT are not interested and West Sussex CC have failed dismally and are still just talking. Meanwhile I am paying £60+ per month for a bonded line just to get 1.8 Mbps

• chilting
  • over 5 years ago

would it not be cheaper for you to get a contract on the one plan on three £35 a month free galaxy s2 + android tether = unlimited data with speeds upto 21meg obviously be much less but would hopefully be faster than 1.8meg (then again when i had my s2 i got 6-10meg) at half the price ?

• acpsd775
  • over 5 years ago

The lack of progress to the dismally low speed of 2 Mb/s is embarrassing in the 'tenties' of the 21st Century. With all the talk of fibre to the cabinet in built up areas, fibre to the village should ensure at least first generation ADSL speeds of around 8 Mb/s in most if not all locations. You only have to look at low density population areas like Chatteris, Cambridgeshire to see what is possible if there is a will. Whilst there is no will to accomplish this sort of coverage UK wide, a Universal Service Commitment at any rate is doomed to fail.

• andrew_tyler
  • over 5 years ago

acpsd775 if you look at the map of West Chiltington there are highs and lows of terrain - mobile coverage is pretty much non existent except for a handful of places getting 2G.

This is less than 30miles from Gatwick Airport!!

• jchamier
  • over 5 years ago

@andrew_tyler

Openreach exchanges already have fibre supplying them.

The cost difference of doing ADSL from the cabinet versus VDSL2 from the cabinet is minimal. Unless deploying just an 8 line DSLAM that can run 8 lines, and then it could be powered by other phone lines.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 5 years ago

@jchamier ahh fair enough not such a good alternative then lol

• acpsd775
  • over 5 years ago

@andrew - surely you cannot assume existing fibre can be used, depends on what's on the end of it. Fibres used for private circuits or PSTN won't help. I think you mean there may be spare tubes to blow new through.

• Somerset
  • over 5 years ago

@somerset you cannot assume, but TalkTalk has its own fibre or rents them to exchanges covering 90% of population.

The old ATM network meant an exchange had at least one fibre to it of some description.

Getting fibre to a village if it has a phone exchange, is often NOT what is needed, it is getting the capacity from that central location to the consumer. Same goes for sharing a schools/business fibre.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 5 years ago

Think the middle question is a bit subjective. How much would I pay to double my 0.5mb, not very much I imagine. Would I pay talktalks £5 extra to double up from 40mb to 80mb, of course I would. The 2mb ship has sailed in 2012 (titanic anyone?) so in three years time the USO should be set higher, say 8mb. And yes i'd change if someone could give me a better service..

• jtthedevil
  • over 5 years ago

I've just logged in to say exactly the same thing! What would I pay to double my current speed of 500Kbps to 1Mbps? Erm, nothing, because it's still sod-all use! But does that count me int he bracket of the moaners who say I don't want to pay for a decent speed? but I would certainly pay a reasonable amount to increase it 100 times to 50Mbps, like what a lot of people already get.

• csimon
  • over 5 years ago

And of course I'd change provider for a better service. But unfortunately, competition and the free market means that there is no competition in my area. Oh wait, slight contradiction there. I said on these forums, ooh must be 4 or 5 years ago, that there should be a 2Mb USC and was criticised for daring to suggest that and tht I should move. Now, 2Mb is looking stingy and we haven't even got that, the country should now be looking at 8Mb and beyond for a USC.

• csimon