Broadband News

BT has a lowest price that does not look like lowest price

When is a sale not a sale? Some high street stores and chains seem to have had sales that last forever, with one branch somewhere in the UK being the one quoted for comparison.

BT Fibre Essential Offer
Example of BT Fibre Essential offer with 'never been lower' claim

The BT Fibre Essential service which is usually 40/10 VDSL/FTTC based (full fibre if available) is described as 'Our price has never been lower £27.99 a month, £9.99 P&P'. Unfortunately we recall a lower price and have looked back at the previous affiliate offers for this product and can find it at £24.99/m with £19.99 upfront cost, so while the upfront cost is £10 lower, the effect over the 2 year contract period is a rise of £62.

In better news the G.fast and FTTP products from BT Consumer are now back and taking orders. For existing BT customers who are seeing new customers paying the same price but getting massively higher speeds in the first instance check what offers exist in your online account and if nothing exciting appears it may be worthwhile seeing if a good deal is available over the phone. We should add that retention offers will usually only be offered once your minimum term is over or just before it ends, but some may see a 900 Mbps FTTP service offer as part of a push to drive take-up.

As someone might notice another issue that we've seen a couple of times is that the affiliate link sometimes does not always show all the products by default, i.e. we have visited the page and seen just the ADSL/ADSL2+ product with none of the fibre products. A quick page refresh fixes that.

Comments

That's the same price as they offer me ADSL2+ with a "Stay Fast Guarantee" of 2Mbps, so although it isn't the cheapest ever, I'd take it if I could.

• sheephouse
  • 10 days ago

Put that in contrast with Virgin's 350mbit/s (mine reaches 400/35) at £54/m and we can see BT's deal is not cheap at all.

• Khan
  • 10 days ago

@Khan
BT are offering 500 Mbps for £49.99/m. Proof:

• baby_frogmella
  • 10 days ago

Ii saw this when I was having a peak, just a peak, I can not see myself going back to B.T
@Khan, a lot of us can not go for Virgin even if we want to, we have to make do with BT Hybrid system across antiquated phones lines

• zyborg47
  • 10 days ago

On the ADSL and FTTC same price, the ADSL and entry level service have been same price for a while at BT.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • 10 days ago

@Khan as someone who's leaving Virgin Media on its 350mb tier for BT's estimated 56-72mb tier, I'd much rather be with BT. A lot better routing, lower ping jitter and 0 packet loss (at least in my area) VS Virgin who's peering has always been trash, consistent packet loss and a router that likes to randomly restart its self at least 4 times a week.

I won't even begin to mention their "customer service" team....

• inviwut
  • 9 days ago

@Zyborg, but if they replace your line with fibre how will your phone work in a power cut?

• ribble
  • 9 days ago

I think I will wait for B4RN to deliver to my area - 1000Mbps symmetric for £30pm which is streets better value than anything that BT will ever offer.

• mollcons
  • 9 days ago

@ribble, LOL, I see what you did there. To be honest I am ok with what I have got, but the lines are still antiquated, I am pretty sure the ones that comes to my house are about 40 years old if not older. Saying that I would like to try Virgin if I could, I bet their phones have some sort of backup that is not in the house. Myself I am not that bothered, I went for 2 years without a landline here, but some people may not be happy if they lose that sense of reliability.

• zyborg47
  • 9 days ago

@zyborg, I thought Virgin were doing away with their landline and going VOIP via their super hubs. If that is the case then you would be in the same boat in a power cut. Sometimes progress comes at a cost.

• ribble
  • 9 days ago

Correct, Ribble. The standard install is voice over the broadband service.

Unless a vulnerable customer no backup whatsoever is provided.

If a vulnerable customer a combination of mobile and battery backup is used I believe.

Much the same as is provided by others now.

• CarlThomas
  • 9 days ago

@Khan I got BT's Full Fibre 900 (930Mbit down, 117Mbit up) for £54.99 p/m, BT's price per Mbit is a lot cheaper then VM prices atm.

This is what I get: https://www.speedtest.net/result/9455673615

• PaulKirby
  • 9 days ago

@ribble, I do not know as I do not follow Virgin due to the fact it will never come here. Progress is not always progress.
I know I really have to sort my self out and decide what to do. To be honest if I did not rely on the net for certain things, I would get rid of it.

• zyborg47
  • 9 days ago

@zyborg, CarlThomas has already confirmed it. The whole industry is moving to fibre and VOIP so emergency power will become the end users responsibility.

• ribble
  • 9 days ago

I've been using VOIP for several years now, the 'BT line' has no phone connected. Knowing there could be an issue with a power outage I installed a small UPS and have the router and ATA plugged in to that.
Having said that, we use out mobiles for most calls so loss of landline has never been a priority.

• tmcr
  • 9 days ago

Currently paying £33.50 for VMs 350 package and phone line. BT don't seem to be able to match good retention rates you can get with VM so as tempting 500MB is, the savings I get outweigh it for now, for me at least.

• m00gl3s
  • 9 days ago

@ribble, I know it is happening, I just do not think it is a good idea. I use VoIP myself, I have a Linksys PAP2 and use sipgate, but I still have my normal phone line.
I doubt it will make a difference to me for years if ever, the chance of Fibre coming here in the next 15-20 years is pretty slim.

• zyborg47
  • 8 days ago

@zyborg, I think you made a typo. Should have been "the chance of fibre coming here in the next 5-10 years is pretty high"

• ribble
  • 8 days ago

@zyborg, regardless if you get full fibre or not, you won't have standard landline in few years anyway.

• ribble
  • 8 days ago

@ribble, I would be shocked if we had fibre in the next ten years, I was shocked when we had FTTC. I was chatting to someone from BTOR a few months back, and he said there were no plans to bring Fibre here at the moment. As for the standard landline have anyone thought how alarms and alert systems are going to work?

It still makes little odds to me, I have no interest in faster speed as long as my broadband is reliable, I certainly do not want to pay more than I am now

• zyborg47
  • 8 days ago

@Zyborg. The recent 20 million target means an awful lot of areas that have no current plans will become part of the upgraded network.
I expect if you have thought of alarms and alert systems then someone else has too.

• ribble
  • 8 days ago

@Zyborg Many thousands of people have 'thought' about alarms etc and they have had quite a long time to do so.

• Swac3
  • 8 days ago

After over tens years of promises of better broadband coming soon, many people are very sceptical.

• brianhe
  • 8 days ago

A couple of years ago, BT offered a ridiculous low price for Fibre. I cant recall what at this time.
I telephoned to take up this offer, but I was told not such advert was online.
Fortunately, I took several screen shots of the advert and various other pages working thro the sign-up procedure
I sent this to the ASA for their attention. After 7 days the advert disappeared
The ASA told me that BT knew the ropes when their adverts were possibly misleading.
BT are fully aware that it takes the ASA possibly 7 -10 days to process a complaint, by that time the advert has been removed.

• bures
  • 7 days ago

Someone stuck on 2 Mbps ADSL - "I wish we could get FTTP to get higher speeds"

X years later they're now on 40 Mbps FTTP paying £25/m - "I wish we could get back to paying £9.99/m" (with a free £500 Pre-paid Mastercard thrown in)

There's no pleasing some people...

• baby_frogmella
  • 7 days ago

Someone stuck on 4 Mbps ADSLMax - "I wish we could get FTTP to get higher speeds"

X years later, now on 4 Mbps ADSLMax paying £25/m - "I wish we could get VDSL..."

• NorthSkye
  • 7 days ago

PLusnet current offer works out as £18.82/month over 18 months taking the £75 mc into account. Vodafone is £22.95 so both cheaper than BT. I was with Vodafone for over 2 years and it was a good service with no problems. I've been with Plusnet for 8 months and again it's a good service. When I was with BT the customer service was terrible. I was overcharged on every bill and they were not capable of fixing the problem so never again - however cheap!

• zhango
  • 7 days ago

@zhango, it is strange that two service owned by the same company can be so different. I agree with you about BT, customer service is awful, they followed the script as if they were in a TV show, I told them I done the checks, and they still wanted me to do them. Plusnet at least treat people as if we do not something.
Plusnet is offering an 18-month contract for £17.99 now, not sure if I will get much better than that, not that I really want to sign up for 18 months.

• zyborg47
  • 6 days ago

@zyborg47. To make it clear to anyone else, the Plusnet £17.99 deal is ADSL not fibre. The £18.82 I quoted was for their Unlimited Fibre deal. I appreciate from your previous post that you cannot get Fibre but if you could I'm sure you would willingly pay an extra 83 pence/month and what great value that would be!

• zhango
  • 6 days ago

@zhango, are you talking about FTTC or FTTP? I can get and have got FTTC.

• zyborg47
  • 5 days ago

@zyborg47. You've confused me - you said ".....the chance of Fibre coming here in the next 15-20 years is pretty slim."

You then referred to the Plusnet £17.99/month deal as if you would sign up for that if it were not for an 18 month contract?

From those comments I assumed that you had ADSL broadband.

• zhango