April 2020 update on how fast Openreach is deploying FTTP
As yet the pandemic has not slowed down the pace at which we are seeing the figures for the Openreach FTTP roll-out increase, with the total now at 2,171,960 premises passed, up some 102,725 premises in the last month. This is a build rate of 23,195 premises per week.
The five distinct groups that we track for Openreach are showing the following totals and changes since last month:
- 478,991 premises via BDUK/gap funded or other rural intervention an increase of 4,750 premises
- 1,143,189 premises in Fibre First areas an increase of 66,968 premises
- 58,024 premises in Fibre Village/Market Town areas an increase of 11,258 premises
- 367,151 premises via New Build since January 2016 an increase of 17,225 premises
- 127,939 premises via commercial/old roll-out an increase of 5,858 premises
While broadband and network construction is still one of the key industries continuing during the pandemic there is eventually going to be a slow down in the build pace. We have not seen this yet because our tracking is generally 6 to 8 weeks behind what Openreach are actually building so we are expecting to hit a point in April where the amount we can find will tail off.