Broadband News

BT full fibre 910 Mbps launches for £59.99 a month

The retail pricing of the BT Consumer Full Fibre 500 and Full Fibre 900 services are now known and are cheaper than was expected.

• Full Fibre 500 with 500 Mbps down and 73 Mbps upload speeds is £49.99/m with £9.99 setup fee. Standard price £57.99/m. Stay fast guarantee of 250 Mbps.
  • Full Fibre 900 with 910 Mbps down and 110 Mbps upload speeds is £59.99/m with £9.99 setup fee. Standard price is £67.99/m. Stay fast guarantee of 455 Mbps.

Both services have a 24 month minimum term contract. This pricing is for new customers, we recommend existing BT customers log into their profile to see if any special offers are available, we suspect but cannot guarantee that the standard pricing is what most existing customers will see, it is possible those in a FTTP area but still on VDSL2 might seen an offer to incentivise them to upgrade.

As these are FTTP based services those upgrading from ADSL/ADSL2+ or VDSL2/G.fast (copper and partial fibre) services will need a home visit by Openreach to install the fibre.

The pricing is lower than expected and is below the list price from BT Wholesale even when you exclude the impact of VAT e.g. FTTP 1000 is £75+VAT. BT Wholesale has likely reached a bulk agreement where if BT Consumer can sell above a certain number of connections it will get a lower price. The pricing of the Full Fibre 500 at the old price point for the Unlimited Fibre 250 service suggests a keeness to get high uptake in the 2.1 to 2.3 million properties where the service is available.

Comments

Gr8 so I can order now for all the extra speed and then be throttled by all the content providers back to where I am already ;-)

• Croft12
  • 11 days ago

I wonder why the speed is asymmetric? There is no technical reason for uploads to be different to downloads on a full-fibre service, is there?

• rizanur
  • 11 days ago

Low demand and additional cost.

• Croft12

rizanur

OR GPON is asymmetrical technology. OR only offer point to point as leased lines.

There is little reason for Residential users to upload vast quantities quickly ( Business is a different matter). Downloads are usually bigger due to multiple users streaming but this is unusual behaviour on upload. (Unless you are livestreaming video from multiple rooms and I count that as business!)

• jumpmum
  • 11 days ago

Every other ISP who uses BTW is going to be fuming, that's about half the price they would be able to sell it for. This is pure anticompetitive pricing that will force out all the smaller ISP's, until TalkTalk gets its wholesale network available.

VERY tempting though and very shocked they under cut Virgin.

• dogcat

@dog.

No it isn't due to the ofcom rules they can't price favour BTC. They will have to offer the same deal to others (on the same volume/terms)...

• Croft12

@Croft12

Which is the point, no other ISP is likely to get that same deal as nobody but the big 3 does any significant volumes. You would expect a discount for volume, but that is more of a lynching than a discount compared to the Wholesale price for just the FTTP connection.

• dogcat
  • 11 days ago

Any of the big rivals can certainly get a volume deal. Thats most of the market.

• Croft12
  • 11 days ago

I have an order for the 49.99 300Mb service, not due to start/install until 3rd April, cable has already been run to the house in preparation. For my address now its not showing the 300 service anymore just the 500 for the price of 300 (49.99) and the 900 service for 59.99 - do you think Ill automatically be on the 500 or should I contact them after install (dont really want to call now and jeopardise any delay as Im desperate for this installation)

• rolandrat

@rolandrat

Contact them ASAP, they won't put you on the 500mbps service since you bought the 300mbps at that price.

• Jake4
  • 11 days ago

Hrrrm, already on 300mbit for £60/mth.

The gigabit is showing as 75/month for me. The 500mbit isn't showing at all.

• Chipmunk77

@jumpmum
Openreach are already running trials of symmetric speeds on FTTP (up to 1000/1000), only a matter of time before such services are widely available to Jo Public. I'd say within 5 years.

• baby_frogmella

@Chipmunk77

This is what I'm seeing:

• baby_frogmella
  • 11 days ago

Spoke to BT, ill have to wait, only way would be to cancel and order again, which will put install back and im not doing that. Ill upgrade after, which I know can be done as a family member has done just that.

• rolandrat
  • 11 days ago

@frogmella: I have the same as that when I search under broadband, but isn't that just for new lines? When I goto "My BT" and then hit upgrade, it just offers me ....

Now looking at it, the 900 product is prolly £75 cos they're only offering it with complete wifi.

• Chipmunk77
  • 11 days ago

It's great pricing, but also sad that other ISP's who use BT Wholesale will be unlikely to offer similar pricing. It's a shambles if that ends up being the case. Still waiting on Cerberus Networks pricing.

• Ixel

@Ixel
Not a shambles at all, its down to economies of scale & all that. BT (and other mass ISPs) can afford to sell cheaper services due to the massive number of customers they have.

• baby_frogmella
  • 11 days ago

Guess we'll agree to disagree.

• Ixel

@thinkbroadband Double the price of B4RN for 1/10 the upload speed

• @timmay2
  • comment via twitter
  • 11 days ago

Only problem is B4RN is only in a limited area...

• comnut
  • 11 days ago

BT should have cancelled that plan - due to coronavirus to ease network capacity in UK

Hope Boris Johnson bring in toughter laws to get all of us in UK as a maximum capped speed are 40/10 on all FTTC / FTTP / G.fast to ease the network issues as more childrens in UK stay at home and many will be streaming on their TV.

• adslmax

@Max
There isn't a problem with network loading on the BT network at the moment so your suggestion about capping speed is not needed. See https://newsroom.bt.com/the-facts-about-our-network-and-coronavirus/ for more details.

• New_Londoner
  • 10 days ago

Yes please. I'll have some of that at those prices. :)

• busterboy
  • 10 days ago

@jumpmum

While GPON is asymmetric by it's nature (or at least the version currently deployed by Openreach is), it has a ratio of 2:1 upload/download, which brings into stark contrast the appalling offerings that can only exist to protect Openreach's leased line business. Hell if they maintained the 4:1 ratio of VDSL things would be a lot better, but those are 8:1 products which is a disgrace.

I would note that working from home goes a lot better with a decent upload speed...

• jabuzzard
  • 10 days ago

No evidence of slow downs for the largest fixed line providers.

Of course last week was last week, and past performance is no guarantee of future performance, but the providers generally have spare capacity on the fixed line services.

NOTE: A speed cap of 40 Mbps would adversely affect properties with multiple occupants already using higher speed services and introducing a system wide change like this risks breaking any number of things.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • 10 days ago

*NEWSFLASH*
BT Business are selling 1000/220, sold as 910/182. Not shown on their website yet but they're going to call me back wrt upgrade costs from their 330/50 service. I suspect its not going to be cheap!

• baby_frogmella
  • 10 days ago

Haha yep, that's gonna cost you. Would be tempted myself but need to resist.

• Chipmunk77
  • 10 days ago

Any news from TalkTalk about their plans to use Openreach FTTP?

• zzing123
  • 10 days ago

Nothing, other than seeing some FTTP customers in random spots more often new build homes, i.e. same sort of thing as seen with Sky

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • 10 days ago

Placed my order this morning. Full Fibre 900. They quoted me £57.99 but I am querying it as I've seen others get it for £54.99. I'm also forced to pay £9.99 delivery for a router I won't use.

I heard mention of a 1000GB download usage cap on these new packaged but so I've I've been unable to find anything in the documentation that confirms it. I think it's unlimited.

• Puntoboy
  • 10 days ago

I'm with Zen FTTP - Can I assume that other providers will also offer these speeds / pricing?

I think Sky were also meant to release FTTP today?

• angel_rex
  • 10 days ago

@thinkbroadband I'm paying £59.99 for halo 1 330/50, are BT automatically upgrading people on that package?

• @winstonie8
  • comment via twitter
  • 10 days ago

@Puntobuy
BT Retail no longer have usage limits on their broadband services, they scrapped them donkeys years ago. I suspect the 1000GB limit might be for a data cloud service they are giving you free of charge.

• baby_frogmella
  • 9 days ago

@baby_frogmella I'm also on BT Business Broadband on the 330Mbps package. Did you find out on this? I tried their web chat and they knew nothing on it, not really been able to get hold of them on the phone to speak to anyone.

Guess might have to wait until the virus blows over but if you made progress here or know pricing, would love to know.

• FastLaneJB
  • 9 days ago

@baby_frogmella @FastLaneJB also very interested on this. I tried the web chat yesterday as well and they said they had no information. On Twitter they told me "Yes it's coming please stay tuned for a launch date.", so if you have details on pricing and if they are actually selling this product right now then please share when you can!

• rvspeter
  • 9 days ago

@rvspeter Guessing we might have to wait. Could be they delay it considering what is going on for a little bit. Though to be fair I was expecting BT Consumer to delay it as well but they didn't.

• FastLaneJB
  • 9 days ago

Sorry guys, it seems BT Biz were telling me porkies yesterday. They are NOT selling anything above 330/50 right now, but have plans on launching higher speeds in the future. This was confirmed to me by a more honest telesales guy today. My only wish is they sell the 1000/220 service (instead of 1000/115) at a reasonable cost, say <£150/m.

• baby_frogmella
  • 9 days ago

have had the smart hub 2 arrive today (despite the website still saying its awaiting dispatch). Anyone know if I will need to reset the bt modem as well or will the speed regrade just go ahead?

• ravingkamikaze2
  • 9 days ago

@baby_frogmella thanks for the update, it doesn't really surprise me, BT Business always seem to be quite a bit behind BT Consumer in terms of picking up new packages. Any idea if you can take out a BT Consumer product now and regrade mid-contract to a BT Business one without penalty?

I've asked them for more details on Twitter about launch date/pricing but don't expect them to be forthcoming. I agree though, if it's £150/m or less I will be on board.

• rvspeter
  • 9 days ago

@baby_frogmella No problems. I got a response on Twitter also to say it's coming but no idea when.

I'm hoping it won't be that long but I've a bit over a year still on my current contract so cannot move from BT Business Broadband. Also I work in IT and need a static IP, not so much for connecting into the house but connecting out to services locked with a firewall where my fixed IP allows me in.

Shall wait and see then.

• FastLaneJB
  • 9 days ago

so...equipment arrived yesterday, plugged it all in and no change in speed. I was fine leaving it overnight to provision to the correct speed.

Checked this morning, everything on the order showing with a green tick but the order was not showing as complete - checked speeds and they were the same. Just spoken with someone on the phone who said the team dealing with this are in lockdown so they wont be doing any line speed changes etc

Anyone else having issues with their order? I aint gonna hound them too much but surely a speed regrade can be done in the background?

• ravingkamikaze2
  • 8 days ago

The green ticks just happen automatically on the date listed iirc, I don't think they mean anything has been done.

• Chipmunk77
  • 8 days ago

Placed my order on Monday 23/03 for today. Ran a speed test this morning and I'm getting on average 850mbps down but only 52mbps up. I upgraded from Ultrafast Fibre 250 so I was already getting the 52mbps up. Will contact them tomorrow to query the upload speed.

• rid1
  • 8 days ago

Went live on 26/03 getting 850/115 on the speed test. @rid1 Your BT Hub is capping your upload speed.

• brutos
  • 6 days ago

If people are correct a reset of the hub should fix the home hub i.e. force it to fetch the upload profile setting

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • 6 days ago

Whats the point of "Full" fibre if its not symmetrical upload? You might as well stick with copper virgin cables :/

• doowles
  • 6 days ago

@brutos @andrew thanks, reset the hub and it's on 850/115 now.

• rid1