March 2020 update on how fast Openreach is deploying FTTP
The last four weeks and a day of the shortest month of the year saw the Openreach footprint that we have been able to find increase to cover some 2,069,235 premises, an increase of 82,273 since we last reported the figures on 12th February 2020.
The 82,273 premises added works out at 19,859 premises and is a drop of 6,000 every week compared to the previous month. While there was 1 day in February where I did not add any Openreach FTTP due to being busy with a trip to Buckingham Palace, usually this missing day is easily caught up, but February and March both seem to seen a change in the quantities we are finding. Given we are usually 6 to 8 weeks behind what Openreach state as built this drop may represent the Christmas holiday break and another possibility is that the succession of storms in February has had an impact on the speed at which things are being built and also commissioned.
Of course it may be are looking in all the wrong places, and that is where our readers can help by (a) running a speed test once you have upgraded to FTTP or (b) telling us a postcode for an area that is missing from our maps and checker.
The five distinct groups that we track for Openreach saw the following changes:
- 474,241 premises via BDUK/gap funded or other rural intervention an increase of 6,696 premises
- 1,076,221 premises in Fibre First areas an increase of 39,959 premises
- 46,766 premises in Fibre Village/Market Town areas an increase of 6,757 premises
- 349,926 premises via New Build since January 2016 an increase of 23,833 premises
- 122,081 premises via commercial/old roll-out an increase of 5,128 premises
WIth the 100% Gigabit challenge now allocated its funding the overlap with other networks such as the Virgin Media cable network which will by the end of 2021 be offering Gigabit everywhere is more important and for the five Openreach categories we can share how much overlap there is with Virgin Media and the Openreach FTTP service at this time.
- BDUK/gap funded or other rural intervention overlap with Virgin Media 6.8%
- Fibre First areas overlap with Virgin Media 85.5%
- Fibre Village/Market Town overlap with Virgin Media 0.3%
- New Build since January 2016 overlap with Virgin Media 6.6%
- commercial/old roll-out overlap with Virgin Media 52.3%
This overlap will of course change over time as the FTTP roll-outs grow, so may go up and down depending on which areas see FTTP. The other big potential overlap is with the CityFibre FTTP network where some 6,660 premises have both Openreach and CityFibre FTTP available, but the overlap between Virgin Media and CityFibre is larger at 79,754 premises from a CityFibre footprint of 184,637 premises.