Broadband News

New low price point for unlimited fibre from BT

The price war and pressures to offer simpler and more straightforward products continues and BT Consumer has launched its Fibre Essential service at £26.99 per month.

• 18 month contract
  • £26.99/m for 18 months, then £37.99/m if you stay on the out of contract pricing
  • £9.99 upfront cost
  • BT Home Hub 5
  • Access to BT Wi-Fi hotspots
  • Telephone line rental included
  • No inclusive calls
  • Average download speeds of 36 Mbps
  • Based on 40/10 FTTC or FTTP service

The low price point is not as low as some competitors but it does offer a cheap upgrade path for those on ADSL or ADSL2+ without all the complications of claiming reward cards and free gifts.

There is still a rise in the price at the end of the fixed term contract, but as many have found offers will appear that mean if you are willing to contract for another term you will get something lower than the standard price.

Comments

Given they have plusnet I'm not sure I see the point in this but...

• Croft12
  • 3 months ago

Point is that BT gets the bills right, Plusnet doesn't, so you can have your correct bills for only £5 a month :)

• mike41
  • 3 months ago

@Croft12, and EE.

While I am using plusnet at the moment, I have no intention to go back to BT, plusnet at the moment is fine, the customer service is ok, certainly far better than the rubbish BT is and cheaper and yet they belong to BT.
I don't know what you get for the extra cost that Bt charges.

• zyborg47
  • 3 months ago

Well I'm considering BT, with PlusNet (or my present TalkTalk) I can get a max of 4Mbps on FTTC, with BT I can get FTTP.

• burble
  • 3 months ago

Plusnet don't offer fttp atm. Though any provider can offer fttp as its provided by OR not BT.

• Croft12
  • 3 months ago

plusnet is the budget end of Bt, if you can really call £32 as month budget, so I can not see plusnet ever doing FTTP.
@burble, if you only get 4Mbps on FTTC, you must either be a long way from the cabinet or there is a problem. I get around 35.

• zyborg47
  • 3 months ago

@zyborg47, OR/BDUK have installed fibre through the village, as the cabinet is situated between two villages, whilst the other village generally gets superfast only a few houses at the far end of my village can get superfast, in middle of village they get above the coming USO, my end of village gets very poor speeds.

• burble
  • 3 months ago

@zyborg47

Plusnet trialled fttp a while back. The working assumption has been that plusnet will launch fttp when the other budget ISPs launch it. BT have no need atm. When sky etc launch fttp expect to see a change.

• Croft12