Broadband News

BT Wholesale checker forgets about FTTC - updated

The BT Wholesale checker allows people to see a lot of the speed data that the broadband providers use to base their sales estimates on appears to have forgotten that VDSL2 i.e. FTTC exists and is only returning ADSL2+, G.fast and FTTP data on the morning of Saturday 23rd March.

We have no idea what the cause is but hopefully it will be fixed soon before too much confusion has been caused. It does not seem to affect the lookups done by broadband providers when you start an order journey.

Update Monday 25th: The checker came back into life on Sunday 24th

Comments

Some ISPs probably wish VDSL2 didn't exist ;-)

• Croft12
  • 3 months ago

It seemed fine when I used it around 11am. In fact it finally displayed a 'last seen' speed under the VDSL comment - something it's not been doing for over six months now.

• AndrueC
  • 3 months ago

Hmm...just checking OR has forgotten my fttp line exists again....it was there last time (phone number check)

• Croft12
  • 3 months ago

Working here using this link:

Interesying line test results at the bottom for me at "Premise environment". Shows "NTEFaceplate N", although I definitely have one as the FTTC faceplate was fitted by an engineer. Maybe it means something else?

• Jaggies
  • 3 months ago

• pj66300
  • 3 months ago

I checked 3 cabinets in Burnham-on-Sea and the returned data depends on the cabinet.Ours returns the same data as usual, including our line's VDSL2 estimated and measured speeds.Interestingly our cabinet is not equipped for G.fast, owing to it being sandwiched between a pole and a tree. The other two cabinets are equipped for G.fast and the data on those cabinets is incomplete but differently incomplete. They are both cabinets that I have looked at before and I have a print-out for one of them, which when I printed it, had the full data including estimated G.fast and VDSL2 speeds for the line.

• pj66300
  • 3 months ago

I've tried several times today to switch fibre broadband from Sky to BT and once it gets to checkout the best download speed BT can offer me (and Talk Talk as well) is 1mB. I currently get 30-35mB from Sky, so assume this is related to wholesale checker. I won't be moving anytime soon :-(

• daveallen67
  • 3 months ago

Postcode only checks will not return any result for fibre services (FTTP, FTTC:VDSL and G.fast).

• WestWiFi
  • 3 months ago

Looks as if the problem has been fixed. At least the information on the cabs in Burnham-on-Sea now comes up as complete with VDSL2 and G.fast estimated speeds etc. where this information was missing before.

• pj66300
  • 3 months ago

Ramsey (Cambs) CAB 11 shown but no CAB2O which is what we are 'promised' to be hooked into 2nd April 2019 (yes this year!) at the January date the migration didn't happen so ended up with copper at 2mbps down .01 up!

• pwhaddon