Broadband News

New Plusnet fibre offers

Plusnet has tweaked its FTTC/VDSL2 pricing with the new offers set to run until 24th April and are based on a 12 month contract.

Outside of the low cost areas there is an extra £7.50 per month to pay.

For existing customers (which means those who signed up before 4th March) there is a set of price rises to take notice of that will take effect on 5th June 2018. The rules set by Ofcom mean that even those in the minimum term of their contract can migrate away without penality if they leave within 30 days of the notification of price rises, but you need to do some research to make sure that things like activation fees don't wipe out any savings from a move. If you have paid a lump sum for Line Rental Saver a pro-rata refund will be due if you leave with outstanding balance.

The main change is that those on the following products: Essentials, Essentials Fibre, Extra, Extra Fibre, Unlimited, Unlimited Fibre, Value, Value Fibre, Fibre and Fibre Extra will see the monthly cost increase by £1. Additionally there are other increases such as the call set-up fee rising from 21p to 22p.

The price rises are partially offset by the caller display feature which is currently 99p per month dropping to free. This is a move not done for love and will apply to all telephone line services since Ofcom is banning charging for caller ID from October, as part of a number of measures to reduce the amount of spam like phone calls.

Price rises for broadband given the changes at the wholesale level that Ofcom is imposing on the 40/10 FTTC service is a bit confusing, but while it may look simplistic lose of 99p revenue from caller display balanced by a £1 rise in broadband package pricing seems set to balance out the ARPU on the balance sheet. In previous years the wholesale line rental price was flat or falling and there was still annual price rises, things like moving call centres back to the UK and thus higher prices, or employing more call centre staff are the usual reasons cited.

Comments

Ofcom banned 99p a month charge for caller display so a crafty plusnet put up broadband price by £1 to cover that charge from caller display. Time to complaint to ASA and Ofcom.

• adslmax
  • 8 days ago

Not so, adslmax. This is PlusNet's annual price rise, nominally on 1st April. That's how the regulators would view it, too, because it matches previous years. So view the dropping of caller display charge as being a reasonable marketing move to help persuade customers who might choose to move now, to stay.

• davidinnotts
  • 8 days ago

So I am paying now what a new customer will get - and as an old customer I have to pay £1 more - lol

oh my..

• ZenUser27
  • 8 days ago

The new customer offers do vary up and down, so a lot depends on when you join.

TalkTalk is the provider if you want to chase the latest offer price all the time, but that will keep you in an eternal contract.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • 8 days ago

My supplier - been with them 3 years has yet to increase prices, has increased speed and doesn't have call set up charges (VoIP) on call prices of 1.2p a minute UK. Also has free Voicemail and caller display. They are odd by being microwave rather than wire but even though they got Government money to install the network, EU money was given to BT to set up a wired service. A few moved over, mainly because they had never gone to VoIP and some are regretting it. Those who have a fault will remember fondly their old Boundless service team in comparison with Openreach.

• rjohnloader
  • 7 days ago

Not another rise, I suppose it just takes me under what I was paying under my old contract. So I may stay until the end of my contact. The problem is they say about all the new features and improvements and yet none of them affect me. i do not use the landline to make calls, ever, not even a phone connected to it, I do not use their sports app, I do not have their TV services. The only other thing I have from plusnet is their mobile phone serviced, granted I get extra data because I use plusnet for broadband.
But they was good when I had problems.

• zyborg47
  • 7 days ago

Where did Up to 76 Mbps Unlimited Fibre Extra £28.99/m with no activation fee in low cost areas come from?
The price on the Plusnet website for new customers is £31.99.

• davethink
  • 6 days ago

https://bit.ly/2qnL6ac follow that link and you get the £28.99/m price for new customers.

Used to be £31.99 but a new affiliate offer appeared hence the article.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • 6 days ago

Thanks

• davethink
  • 6 days ago

Signed up to this so intersting to see if I get the full 76mb, currently getting the full 40mb. 300m from fttc estimated line 58-80mb, installed the latest openreach faceplate and cat6 cable between router and the wall socket.

• Housey1