Broadband News

Plusnet to upgrade upload speeds on entry level FTTC service

The last of the major providers with a large chunk of customers on the GEA-FTTC 40/2 wholesale was Plusnet but in a blog entry published on 27th October the provider has revealed that new customers will be connected to the 40/10 service which delivers maximum throughput speeds of 38 Mbps down and 9.5 Mbps up, with the biggest factor affecting the actual speed people will receive being the distance between there home and the VDSL2 cabinet.

The change from an up to 1.9 Mbps speed to an up to 9.5 Mbps upload service is something TalkTalk completed earlier in 2017 and we thought it was just a question of timing for when Plusnet would do the same. Existing Plusnet customers on the entry level fibre service should start to be upgraded in November.

The benefit will vary from line to line but we would expect majority to see a signifcant improvement and those who will notice the most are those who upload a lot of data e.g. posting video and pictures to social media and for online gamers who maybe have experimented with Twitch should find that the extra upload will allow them to stream a much higher quality video stream while still not unduly affecting their in game latency.

There is no price changes or contract commitments needed and while the 40/10 product is marginally more expensive than the old 40/2 product at the wholesale level in 2018 cuts are expected and with proposed changes to the Ofcom Broadband Speeds Code of Practice that is looking to make information on upload speeds a bit clearer having the slowest upload on a VDSL2 service was probably not a good idea and even more so if the expected changes around broadband speeds in advertising were to require the upload speed to be shown too.

Comments

It wasn't that long ago the entry level service at PN was 40/20 (80/20 product capped by PN to 40 down).

They then went down to 40/2, and now back up again. I wonder if it was worth it, once you factor in regrade fees.

• rtho782
  • 28 days ago

I think OR are running a regrade deal at the moment.

• R0NSKI
  • 28 days ago

@thinkbroadband Put me off them tbh. I was going to sign up back when they had 40/20. Just before I did they dropped it.

• @NYorksPhil
  • comment via twitter
  • 27 days ago

That's probably bought my loyalty. I was going to leave them when my contract expires a couple of months from now, because of the slow upload speed. The best download speed I can get here is 25Mbps, so I wasn't going to pay for 80/20.

• davidcrocker
  • 25 days ago

Hmm... I am on 40/2 with BT apparently. I actually receive about 7 down and 0.8 up due to the distance from the cabinet. Maybe I should talk to them about what else is available to me.

• DanielCoffey
  • 25 days ago

I have been a Plusnet customer since 2009 and while this is welcome news why do long serving customers have to wait. I am on fibre now but a faster service would be welcome.

• Vc65Ltp
  • 25 days ago

It's time to ditch pn for me... If like me you play fps games then their new network isn't nothing to write home about especially with the 10+ ms ping time compared to other UK gamers who play on the same servers..Im on 80/20 But wouldn't notice any difference if I were on 40/10 tbh.

• Keyholder
  • 22 days ago

It's not just the new customers now. I'm an existing PN customer and I've had an email telling me the 'good news' that I will be upgraded for free "in November". No specific date, and here on the 5th I've still not got it yet, but I'm encouraged. I hope it will make a difference to me, as the upload speed not only enables uploading of video and photos faster, but I think also might affect the apparent 'responsiveness' of the web.

• momist