Broadband News

Packet loss and speed problems at several providers

Spotting major problems with the larger broadband providers is pretty easy as social media lights up like a Christmas tree and clear trends are visible in speed tests, but with the smaller broadband providers it can be difficult to sometimes tell if the problem is just a handful of individuals or a significant proportion of customers.

Today (and from the data it appears prior to today) some customers of IDNet, Merula and Zen Internet have had to suffer packet loss which has been resulting in broadband quality monitors with a large amount of red packet less. The situation appears to have been worst in the morning of 11th October and IDNet issued a status update at 4pm suggesting a fix had been found and if you are still suffering to reboot your broadband hardware.

In addition to the quality monitor system the problem was very obvious in speed test results, where single thread downloads were very much slower and even multiple thread speeds were all over the place (three examples are one, two and three).

We would have flagged this earlier but so many of the Zen Internet and IDNet customers with quality monitors were still showing the standard green graphs with a very small amount of blue and yellow and no packet loss.

What is odd is for the monitors we've found with similar patterns the overnight period invariably seems good and the improvement is almost so sharp that one would suggest someone is turning off/on something that is causing the problem.

Comments

We noticed packet loss around 11am yesterday - 11th October 2017. We quickly diagnosed that one of our backhaul providers had experienced congestion issues within their network. The cause is believed to be a fault affecting resilience within their core network. The fault was resolved by the backhaul provider within the agreed service level fix time of four hours. We are continuing to work with the provider to understand the root cause of this issue and if there are any learnings and improvements that can be made from it.

Andrew Sayle
Senior Product Manager - Broadband
Zen Internet

• ajays
  • 11 days ago

I have had this problem since September 21st or 22nd. Reported to Zen 24th. Zen still trying to blame my usage!

• ukwiz
  • 11 days ago

The problem is exacerbated by the fact that the Zen Fritz!Box router cannot cope with more than ping at a time, so unable to run their smoke ping and TBB BQM at the same time

• ukwiz
  • 11 days ago

Ditto ukwiz, packet loss + bad latency all through this change over on September 21 st

• Deezel
  • 10 days ago

What have Zen changed over on 21st september? just interested.

• paulnorman
  • 10 days ago

To this
As part of this on-going improvement programme, we are moving your existing broadband service over to new equipment within the Zen Internet network. On the planned date, moving equipment may occur at any time of the day and the change will take effect automatically. However, due to the nature of the work you may notice a brief disruption to your broadband service whilst the connection re-establishes. Once your service re-connects, your broadband service will perform as before.

100 times worse than before !

• Deezel
  • 10 days ago

I've had my second line installed on Friday via AAISP, my first line is with Zen but in contract until next year.

Zen did resolve the majority of packet loss I was getting but I'm still getting blips of very small amounts of packet loss on that connection. Single threaded download speeds also slow a bit in the evenings though it's not my usage causing that (verified on EdgeRouter's EdgeOS usage chart).

I'm now using AAISP on SoHo::1 2TB (via TalkTalk Wholesale back-haul) and I have to say I would never look back! Going have to post two comments due to the text limit though.

• Ixel
  • 9 days ago

- continued -

OR engineer was informative, told me I'm on a new line card (it has version d086 compared to b206 on my first line). I now have 71/16 sync compared to 56/13 (fastpath).

AAISP Speed: https://i.imgur.com/zz7s5Qh.png (single threaded only, QoS)
AAISP BQM: https://i.imgur.com/0fTTRDd.png (drops were due to me changing things)

Zen BQM: https://i.imgur.com/y0OBgrY.png

• Ixel
  • 9 days ago

I switched to Zen in September and noticed severe download throughput problems. I usually average about 15Mbps and whatever they did in relation to this story hasn't fixed my problem.

• melevittfl
  • 7 days ago

Yeah not good I used to get up to 20mb/s download now it's down to between 10 and 15 and packet loss and latency is terrible now. fed up with it i've given up caring about it now

• Deezel
  • 7 days ago

I think Zen Internet needs to come clean. Otherwise they will loose there untarnished rating from "Which?" to which I am a member. Be warned "Which?" will hear about this.

• ethicalme