Broadband News

Free speed upgrades for some BT Infinity 1 customers

Existing BT Infinity 1 customers who are currently limited by the 55 Mbps maximum connection speed of the service may already have or will shortly be getting a free speed boost. So if you are on BT and your speed test looks higher than normal it is probably not our tester that is broke but check your HomeHub connection speeds they may have improved.

BT Consumer has taken the unusual move of upgrading customers from a 55/10 wholesale product to an 80/20 product, of course only those where the line can support higher speeds will benefit from the upgrade and for customers wanting to find out more there is a BT help page. There is an active discussion on our forums about the upgrades too.

There appears to be no change in contract term or product name, i.e. the customers still seem to be on BT Infinity 1 in terms of product name, which may make for some interesting debates around how fast the BT Infinity 1 product is, there has been a very subtle change on the BT broadband product pages as BT Infinity 1 is now just called BT Infinity but the up to 52 Mbps (based on the 10% rule) download speed remains for now. Our guess may be that the Infinity products will converge speed wise perhaps with a tag line 'we don't slow your line down, we run it as fast the technology allows' and BT Infinity 2 actually becoming the new G.fast product. In short Infinity will be the VDSL2 product and BT Infinity 2 will be the G.fast product - this makes some sense as those who would benefit from G.fast are those who generally got connection speeds in the 60 Mbps VDSL2 connection speed and upgrade.

We notice that the old myth of the 10 day stabilisation period is repeated again on the BT pages, and we will repeat our warning that the Dynamic Line Management system never stops running and thus if your line conditions change it will react on day 4 or day 444 of the line running. The expectation is that for most people unstable connections will have slowed down to a stable level after a couple of days, but technology enhancements such as G.INP, xDB profiles and Vectoring can see speeds improve.

The speed improvements are not the only thing, customers who have been with BT for sometime are also getting free boost emails which mention your name and the number of days your service has been live. We are mentioning that this appears to be real as so many scammers target broadband customers genuine offers can often be ignored as spam.

View on London West End

Main image from BT Consumer Boost Email Offer

With the move to average speeds in advertising and pressure on broadband speed guarantees always increasing, having just one Infinity VDSL2 product would be interesting in BT Consumer, as there is no slower service to downgrade people too.

Comments

Hi Broadband Watchers.
My Broadband was upgraded on the 29 June to 80/20 and the speed did change by a few megs but I had to wait 28 days before I could report it. Six months ago my line was showing a Bridge Tap with test date the fault is still outstanding and open after a new master socket was fitted.

• Blackmamba
  • about 1 month ago

Just wait for the mid-term price rise now!

• zhango
  • about 1 month ago

Hi Zhanga. My contract was for 12 month starting 1 July with a free visit in contract from Openreach if my speeds did not pass the Handback level 52 meg. My handback was 51.7.

• Blackmamba
  • about 1 month ago

Good news for infinity 1 users but what's going to happen to people with infinity 2? Will we get a price drop or a speed increase.

• Kas206
  • about 1 month ago

@thinkbroadband So what happens to me? I'm a fttp BT Infinty 2, will I see a speed increase for 80/20

• @gillam859
  • comment via twitter
  • about 1 month ago

They do know how to upset long standing users! At review my "special personalised offer" to renew Infinity 2 was a monthly saving of a whole 50p. It took a lot of bargaining to get a deal. Now I find I'm losing any advantage I had over the cheapest service. And my speed test is now showing dreadful latency, which perhaps explains why streaming TV often stops for a while . [stb=1506759876746422555]

• Fellwalker
  • about 1 month ago

@thinkbroadband No doubt people will moan as that's all people know what to do.

• @damoa666
  • comment via twitter
  • about 1 month ago

@FellWalker Assume this test https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1506759876746422555

65ms latency while not brilliant should not result in streaming TV, if throughput is reliable and HD only needs 5 Mbps much higher latency should be fine too.

You made sure its not Wi-Fi performance that's issue?

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • about 1 month ago

Well if BT gives Infinity 2 customers a free G.Fast upgrade that should stem the moaning.

• DrMikeHuntHurtz
  • about 1 month ago

Infinity 2 customers moving to G.Fast would be nice but what about those connected to cabs that have no G.Fast pod, will they be dropped back to Infinity 1? Are G.Fast pods being added to AIO cabs?

• MCM999

Hi Broadband Watchers.
Just to say that I have just received a bill for £129.99 from Openreach on a Fault that has not been cleared.

• Blackmamba
  • about 1 month ago

Openreach cannot bill the end-user, do you mean a charge was raised to the ISP and this has been passed on?

Some providers do bounce these charges back if the customer still has an ongoing fault, others pass them on blindly.

Perhaps time to discuss the fault on http://forums.thinkbroadband.com

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff

@Blackmamba

If you can demonstrate the fault still exists you may be able to present a case legally or perhaps remind the ISP first that you can and are willing to do that if they pursue the charge.

• DrMikeHuntHurtz
  • about 1 month ago

Sorry to hear that Mamba but relevance to this news item?

• CarlThomas

@BM - surely you mean £129/19/11½

• Somerset
  • about 1 month ago

50/10 being boosted to 80/20 must be good news. I will be going for that package when (if) they finish upgrading us to FTTP. Will be a very nice upgrade from 6 Mb ADSL.

• astateoftrance

55/10*

• astateoftrance

My friend works for bt he told me they are going to introduce 100mbp package

• UZZYT786
  • about 1 month ago

I'm on Infinity 2 and got the free boost email.....they've doubled my Cloud storage...which I don't use.

• mil1401
  • about 1 month ago

@UZZYT786 Tell your "friend" that BT can't introduce a "100mbp" package because Openreach don't offer one. If Openreach did offer one, then any ISP could sell it.

• movie
  • about 1 month ago

For the last 6-7 weeks I have only been getting on average 18-20mbs (paying for 55+ mbs)that's despite 4 openreach engineers calling checking my system which is running perfectly. All you get from BT you will have to pay £129+. Every engineer that has called says its there end nothing to do with my system. on the bt chat line today for over an hour and all they do is start from the beginning again. 4 wasted days think I'll start charging £129+ a time.LEAVING BT ASAP.

• cettown6511

Hi Cettown.
It is the responsibility for your ISP to sort the problem out because it is them you are under contract to are Openreach trying to tell you something do not clear your reference number until you are satisfied.

• Blackmamba
  • about 1 month ago

It would be nice to be able to get fibre, period. After an initial tease by BT back in 2010, they told me over the phone that it would be available to me by April 2011. Here were are in 2017, and I still cannot get it - pathetic.

• Mapantz
  • about 1 month ago

my speed has not gone higher,in fact it has dropped

• lawrence12
  • about 1 month ago

How about some equality? We regularly have 1.5mbps. Feel like an outcast.

• Miller2017
  • about 1 month ago

How about some equality? We regularly have 1.5mbps. Feel like an outcast.

• Miller2017
  • about 1 month ago

How about some equality? We regularly have 1.5mbps. Feel like an outcast.

• Miller2017
  • about 1 month ago

How about some equality? We regularly have 1.5mbps. Feel like an outcast.

• Miller2017
  • about 1 month ago

How about some equality? We regularly have 1.5mbps. Feel like an outcast.

• Miller2017
  • about 1 month ago

How about some equality? We regularly have 1.5mbps. Feel like an outcast.

• Miller2017
  • about 1 month ago

How about some equality? We regularly have 1.5mbps. Feel like an outcast.

• Miller2017
  • about 1 month ago

How about some equality? We regularly have 1.5mbps. Feel like an outcast.

• Miller2017
  • about 1 month ago

How about some equality? We regularly have 1.5mbps. Feel like an outcast.

• Miller2017
  • about 1 month ago

How about some equality? We regularly have 1.5mbps. Feel like an outcast.

• Miller2017
  • about 1 month ago

Irrelevant to this issue, though going by the 10 posts of a comment you do seem to have some issues with the connection for sure.

How about some equality? I only get about 60Mb with stability, there are people in VM areas on 350Mb.

What about equality? There are people in VM areas stuck on 350Mb while people in FTTP and Hyperoptic areas can go up to a gigabit.

Separate topic and being dealt with via taxpayer subsidy in most cases.

• CarlThomas
  • about 1 month ago

I'm Infinity 2 FTTC - after the 'honeymoon' period of 70+ speeds, they are now a steady 55.
Should I insist on reverting to basic Infinity ?

• wilkofife
  • about 1 month ago

Anybody who’s on Infinity 2 can surely downgrade their package to Infinity 1 if they don’t use the cloud storage? It seems as though there are even some people on Infinity 2 that are maxing out at Infinity 1 speeds. Unless they get better upload and need it those people are foolish for keeping it in the first place.

Who at BT thought that increasing cloud storage for those on the higher tier package would be enough of a sweetener to get people to keep it? That’s insanely bad value, but then their broadband isn’t exactly value for money either is it.

• Syphadeus
  • about 1 month ago

After upgrading from Infinity 1 to Infinity 2 on the 14th July, I contacted BT with a view of reverting back to Infinity 1. At first they seemed sympathetic saying that they fully understood my frustration. However, after having spoken with several different departments, I was finally told in no uncertain manner that I was now tied contractually until the 14th of July 2018 and there was no possibility of a downgrade. Both of my neighbours have received the free upgrade, one a new BT customer from 23th September.

• AlanPot
  • about 1 month ago

Had a resync at 0924 on the 3rd October. Bit alarmed as I've had a rock solid 50Mhz down (I'm on Infinity 1) and 8Mhz up since a new cabinet was installed 250mtrs away. I've now got 59Mhz down and 16Mhz up. No notification from BT

• msrowell
  • about 1 month ago

AlanPot - You may be stuck then being as it is that you’re past the cooling off period and there’s been no price change. Wait until they increase your package price and use that as an opportunity to get shot of them. Unless you use BTs additional features you can get the equivalent of Infinity 2 with another company cheaper.

msrowell - Mhz has got nothing to do with your upload and download speeds. You’re mistaking Mb as you’re talking about Megabits.

• Syphadeus

Hi Broadband Watchers.
If you have had a free upgrade from 52 meg read your contract they would have sent you and are not receiving the correct speed report it and get the line checked there could be a Bridge TAP or a line fault or been held up.

• Blackmamba
  • about 1 month ago

Syphadeus - Of course you're right. I've been working with RF all day and my brain's fried!!

• msrowell
  • about 1 month ago

Got my upgrade 2 days ago.

• nervous

• AlanPot
  • about 1 month ago

Syphadues.- I wish your suggestion was possible. However, after 4 years of waiting and under 2 Meg broadband, FTTP finally arrived in July this year. Due to the rural nature of the village, presently and it seems for the foreseeable future, BT and Plusent (but only if they are your present provider) are the only two offering service. Many frustrated villages are in a situation that the either cancel their present contracts with other than BT or Plusnet with ensuring penalties or wait until they are out of contract. I am afraid it's a catch 22 situation.

• AlanPot
  • about 1 month ago

I'm an Infinity 2 customer, and have just found out about the Infinity 1 speed increases from a neighbour. I rang BT, who whilst "understanding" my frustration, refused to allow me to drop to Infinity 1, or reduce my contract cost.

This irks me. It is not the same as giving better deals to new customers to sign a contract - that's just modern marketing. BT are giving existing Infinity 1 customers the same service that I paid a premium for - but are still demanding that I pay the premium even now there is no difference. I am annoyed !!!

At least the price rise gives me the chance to get out.

• dadhailz