Broadband News

Slow download speeds blighting Plusnet users on Saturday

While some may want to describe their individual problems as a national outage with a broadband provider, when we investigated reports of slow speeds for Plusnet broadband customers we were able to see some 5 to 10% that were affected. After pulling back the full dataset for Saturday from 9am to 6pm we have expanded that estimate to say that only 16% of Plusnet customers are testing above 20 Mbps, whereas over the period of a month this is normally 40% of customers, and if you extend down into the ADSL2+ speed region we usually see 60% of users over 10 Mbps at Plusnet but today it is only 20%.

The sympton if you have not already spotted on your Plusnet connection is that the download speed is slower than the upload speed for VDSL2/FTTC customers, this differentiation may not be so clear cut for ADSL2+ customers due to its slow upload speeds. Examples of tests from people affected are 2.8 Mbps down, 5.8 Mbps up and 1.5 Mbps down, 2 Mbps up the person with the 5.8 Mbps upload is probably on an up to 76 Mbps service. There are those who are getting good results e.g. 37 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up so we know its not a total network wide issue.

In terms of locations our initial investigation suggested perhaps a smaller number of postcodes, but looking at the postcode groups from the larger sample a non-exhaustive list seems to be B, BA, CA, CV, E, EX, GL, GU, HP, IG, KY, LA, LL, ME, ML, NN, OX, PA, RG, SA, SK, SP, SS, TQ.

If your connection is feeling slow and you think you may be affected then use our broadband performance test which will test your download and upload speeds between your device and our servers.

Update Sunday 17th 4:15pm Things have returned to normal it appears for Plusnet users, 48% of customers recording above 20 Mbps for download speeds, and 64% above 10 Mbps which compares favourably with the figures of 40% and 60% respectively during August 2017.

Comments

Mine is ok, but my mates Fibre is really slow. so something is wrong. Ok, mine is ok considering the problem I have :)

• zyborg47
  • about 1 month ago

Indeed my PN is running as normal which is to say 69/18Mb sync which TBB speed test confirms.

• battenp
  • about 1 month ago

My service was hit yesterday. Normal 35-37 down and 1.7-1,8 up reduced to 2 down, 1.6 up.

Pleusnet reckoned my line was 'showing green across the board' and asked me to run 3 tests on BT Wholesale's speed test site, which I did.

Service restored to normal this morning

• ianb28
  • about 1 month ago

Given the widespread nature fully expect tests of an individual line to show no issues, since the broadband is working fine. Issue was somewhere else in the PlusNet realm of control.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • about 1 month ago

My connection "went to pot" yesterday morning with some web pages never fully loading. On my ADSL2+ line I normally get ~ 15.5Mb+ but yesterday it dropped to ~ 1.4Mb!
Appeared to recover at ~ 8:30pm last night altho' still getting strange speedtests this am.

• BREWERDAVE
  • about 1 month ago

My ADSL dropped from 7mb to .5 - fixed itself after a reboot. Not sure if it's related or not - logged a support request about it as the speed dropped when to a similar speed when I was on holiday (router was left on).

• Kebabselector
  • about 1 month ago

Seems no better tonight, Sunday 17th. Buffering on BBCs iPlayer, hopeless. Testing just now after midnight, you think things may be quiet, but only 7.8 down and 0.8 up hardly greased lightning!
Getting fed up with Plusnet performance. How come last year I was getting test results of 15 down and 2 up and now things are deteriorating. What have they altered or are they just trying to encourage me to change to fibre???

• gfkerr39
  • about 1 month ago

My mates broadband was better yesterday by all accounts.

• zyborg47
  • about 1 month ago

@gfkerr39 PlusNet ADSL2+ should not have been giving you 2 Mbps uploads, since maximum connection speed is 1 Mbps.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • about 1 month ago

Download speed still not completely back to normal as per various tests altho' we seem to be able to stream everything successfully.

• BREWERDAVE
  • about 1 month ago

Noticed my connection was appearing slower at responding than normal, almost like when DNS servers are running slow, so came here to check the forum for other reports of it and saw this news story at the top.

I'm on 80/20 FTTC and get very near to the maximum speeds normally, however today the speed tester is showing the single thread remains a lot slower and gets slower, and the multi thread does peak higher at around 52Mbps but it's usually ~73Mbps or better.

• fenlandbroadband
  • about 1 month ago

Another well known speed test site isn't giving me any higher than 14Mbps download results, whilst upload is 18.57Mbps

• fenlandbroadband
  • about 1 month ago

andrew tbstaff: "PlusNet ADSL2+ should not have been giving you 2 Mbps uploads, since maximum connection speed is 1 Mbps."

That is incorrect.

Using TBB and Ookla testers I have always had a tad above 1mbps upload though for the last few months it has been 1.5 to 1.8 (last night it was 14.83/1.78).

Oddly, BTW tester gives c.7 or 8 d/l and <1 u/l - easily checked using your large files for "manual" d/l tests that prove TBB & Ookla are accurate.

Sadly, d/l speed has fallen from 20 to 14 or less with significant outages after dark (ionospheric noise).

• Dodman
  • about 1 month ago

I said "connection speed is 1 Mbps" so show me the speed test result for an ADSL2+ customer with uploads in the 1.5 to 1.8 Mbps and a sync speed of 1.5 to 1.8 Mbps.

ADSL2+ Annex M is the only way to get upload speeds that fast from ADSL2+ and is generally a business product option rather than consumer.

PlusNet sell up to 1.9 Mbps for VDSL2 which may be confusing some people.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • about 1 month ago

By connection did you mean sync? If so your full statement was fairly strange.

Not sure if I can find thespeed test from last night (it was at the dinner table on my ipad over wi-fi) but I'll try. ITM, trust me, I've been bemused by it for some time.

• Dodman
  • about 1 month ago

May 4, 2017 at 22.08 (Ookla)
Down: 13.49
Up: 1.67

May 15: up - 1.54

Last night's result was seen by 4 people: 14.31/1.82.

my Ookla results show a step change in March 2017 from just over 1mbps to >1.5.

• Dodman

Andrew, right now:-
Ookla: 14.26/1.89 (ipad) and 14.36/1.04 (PC, ethernet to router) - same server.
The older results showing high upload speeds were on the PC but the old Ookla test.
Upload attainable rate is always c.1.3.
Am thinking the Ookla app may be awry on the upload (always near identical to TBB on d/l) but why? And why is BTW test utterly hopeless after being excellent? Could be our line causing oddities.
Whatever, I'm sometimes (not always) seeing higher than 1mbps upload speeds.

• Dodman
  • about 1 month ago

By connection did you mean sync?

So time to look at your ADSL2+ modem sync speeds, beating those by a large margin indicates a tester is doing something wrong. WiFi can cause issues i.e. more spiky but testers should know about this effect.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • about 1 month ago

Up sync is currently a bit low at 1.2.

I just ran all three tests on the PC. Ookla and TBB were so close as to be identical but BTW again gave d/l at c.8 which is crazy (earlier in the year it gave 1 - 3 yet we were streaming HD TV!)

Anyway, enough - thanks for your time. :)

• Dodman
  • about 1 month ago

1.6 down 1.9 up on 76/20Mb service ridiculous, have logged it with Plusnet - hope it gets fixed soon

• The_Voyager
  • about 1 month ago

I've been having this recurring problem for the past 3 weekends.I even posted a fault but PN said it would return to normal, and it did. It's nearly back to normal today, Monday. I'm in SP6 3AN.

• FINCASTLE84
  • about 1 month ago

@The_Voyager Believe this is one of your tests http://tbb.st/1505753171601046255

The upload looks almost like they are capping you to the 2 Mbps upload product.

It is a long drop from the speeds it looks like you should have e.g. http://tbb.st/1500581491303510455

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • about 1 month ago

I think there may be problems with the move to transparent caching. Something has been causing sluggishness in www browsing for a while, although it hasn't been reflected in speed/ping tests. This particular issue was suddenly readily visible, and I wonder whether it's another side of the same coin. No way to tell, however. Just a hunch.

• Kper
  • about 1 month ago

Wait, what? They are caching Web traffic at a time when it's never been less conducive to caching?

Far better getting CDNs from YouTube, Akamai, etc, on-net.

• CarlThomas