Price rises at Plusnet and latest broadband offers
The inevitability of price rises in the broadband arena strike again as Plusnet is the latest provider to inform customers of forthcoming changes, along with a new set of ADSL2+ and VDSL2 offers.
The headline changes are:
- Line rental rise of £1/m from £17.99 to £18.99
- Line rental saver will now be £197.88, giving a monthly equivalent of £16.49/m
- New fair usage limit of 150 calls or 1000 minutes (whichever limit is reached first) will apply to call plans that have inclusive 0845 and 0870 calls
- Call setup fee rises 2p to 21p
- Calls to mobiles rise from 12.54 pence per minute to 14.65 pence per minute
- Anytime International 300 call plans will now cost £8/month
- Only applying to existing customers, Anytime, Plusnet Anytime and Talk Anytime call plans will increase from £6.50 to £7/m.
There is the small added benefit of a new free Plusnet Call Protect feature, which is designed to intercept nuisance calls and direct it to junk voicemail. This may help to reduce the number of annoying 'sales' calls.
With the notification of the price rises, once individuals receive their notification of an impact upon them they have 30 days to initiate a move to another provider, for customers signing up to the latest offers that have just been announced as the price rises are detailed on the sales pages you are considered to have signed up in full knowledge that pricing will change on 29th June 2017.
The latest broadband offers for new customers are:
- Unlimited ADSL2+ from £19.99/m on an 18 month contract. £19.99 price applies to low cost areas, check on Plusnet site for pricing outside the low cost area. A £10 activation fee applies. Price rises by £1/m on 29th June 2017 due to line rental changes.
- Unlimited FTTC/VDSL2 from £25/m on an 18 month contract based around up to 38 Mbps download and up to 1.9 Mbps upload service. £25 price applies to low cost areas, check on Plusnet site for pricing outside the low cost area. A £25 activation fee applies. Price rises by £1/m on 29th June 2017 due to line rental changes.
- Unlimited FTTC/VDSL2 from £30/m on an 18 month contract based on the up to 76 Mbps download and up to 19 Mbps upload service. £30 price applies to low cost areas, check on Plusnet site for pricing outside the low cost area. A £25 activation fee applies. Price rises by £1/m on 29th June 2017 due to line rental changes.
For those existing customers annoyed by the price rises and looking to move elsewhere it is important to make sure that you factor in the setup costs when searching for a new broadband home, especially since the 'fibre' services almost all have a setup fee and with this being over £50 in some cases it would take several years to make up for the £1/m line rental price increase, plus most providers will likely increase their line rental in the next 12 months even they have not already recently done so.