Broadband News

BT Retail the provider next on the price rise merry go around

Its price rise time at another provider, and for once its not the voice line rental, so maybe all the complaints have been heard. The main price rises appear to be (unless otherwise noted they take effect 2nd April 2017):

• Set up fee for calls will increase from 19p to 21p per call
  • Calls to UK landlines will increase from 11p to 12p a minute
  • Unlimited Evening and Weekend Calls will increase from £3.50 to £3.80
  • Unlimited Anytime Calls will increase from £8.50 to £8.99
  • Calls to mobiles from your landline are going up from 15p to 16p a minute
  • International calls will increase from 45p to 46p for countries in Band A, 75p to 76p for Band B and 135p to 136p for Band C
  • After 31st July BT Sport for BT TV customers will pay £3.50 per month rather than getting all the sports channels for free, though there are hints that those on the Total Entertainment package will continue to get the full BT Sport channel range for free.
  • If paying to get BT Sport on a Sky satellite TV system, the price will rise from £5 to £7.50 per month.
  • ADSL2+ broadband packages to rise by £2 per month
  • BT Infinity packages rise by £2.50 per month

The 2nd April is still a long time away so existing customers will need to wait until they've received their 30 day price rise notification to invoke the 'get out of contract free' token. One thought that crossed our mind, is that people if staying with BT for phone and broadband and making phone calls may find that a BT mobile SIM package is cheaper than the call bundles or occasional phone calls depending on your exact call pattern.

The pricing of BT Broadband and BT Infinity can be confusing, as there are the standard prices if you just stumble upon BT.com, then some special offers via specific landing pages from TV adverts, then the affiliate links which are usually cheaper than going direct to BT and then the out of the minimum term contract pricing (e.g. BT Infinity 1 Unlimited is £29.99/m for 12 months, but in month 13 would cost £44.99/m).

In previous years there was always many competing offers to jump too, but with setup costs increasing you need to do the maths carefully, as jumping ship every 9 to 12 months when price changes take effect can prove costly if being charged £25 to £70 for setup and or delivery fees.

As to why are broadband prices increasing, without access to a room of BT accountants we are guessing, but increasing data usage means core networks need money to increase in size to cope and things like parental controls do have a cost for implementation.

BT Retail has for a long time been attacked with claims of cross subsidies for BT Sport rights purchases and moving towards a paid subscription may silence some of that criticism, as it makes the revenue stream clearer.

The change in Autumn 2016 to combine line rental and broadband pricing in advertising seems to now effectively mark the end of the golden age for cheap broadband in the UK, which might be a good thing if it means more money goes into improving networks, but with millions still under pressure from over price rises in the face of little or no salary increases more expensive but faster broadband runs the risk of being built but rarely used.

Comments

Durn! I was just congratulating myself on getting a more than 30% overall discount from BT last week, biggest in decades... then I find they were planning this all the time 8-/

• radiomarko
  • 7 months ago

I can understand the possible reasoning for broadband increases, with fibre customers in particular probably using a lot of bandwidth, but the extortion prices charged for landline calls and in particular the set up cost per call THEN the per minute charge, they don't use an operator any more, so why is the set up charge so high ?

• stepdey
  • 7 months ago

Cost is getting stupid now £30 quid or more a month just to access the internet, yet we are told we all need to be online to do stuff and yet prices keep rising. How are people who are not working suppose to afford it so they can do their job searches?
Rip of Britain once again.

• zyborg47
  • 7 months ago

As a total BT customer - landline, broadband, YouView box, and 2 cheap sim cards for mobile, I find it very difficult to work out the price increases we will face but it looks like it is more than a 6% price hike. It is time for some personal cost cutting because I can not survive without internet access which surely by now should be free to all?? Looks like BT TV will take the hit.

• hisnibsuk
  • 7 months ago

@hisnibsuk, I do not agree with it being free, but i think it is too expensive. i am doing cost cutting as well, first thing changing is mobile phone network, to something that is cheaper.

• zyborg47
  • 7 months ago

In contract until September with phone and ADSL broadband. For me the price rises will see the few calls made and the broadband element rising but the line rental remaining static. Do I really have the option of leaving once notified [how?] immediately to pastures new?

• trolleybus
  • 7 months ago

@ trolleybus Wait till you get the email or letter from BT, informing you of the price hikes, then ring them up and see what deal they can offer to retain your custom.

• Rootster
  • 7 months ago

Traditionally I suspect the cost broadband to ISP's has been supplemented with revenue from phone calls. In recent years more and more people don't use a land line for phone calls, they have mobiles with inclusive minutes. I have all the minutes and data I need on my mobile for £14 a month, far less than line rental alone, add on my wife's and that's another £7 (could reduce this by £3) so not much more than line rental and we have all the minutes we need at no extra cost. This has been repeated across many households and must really be affecting call revenue, and will only get worse.

• R0NSKI
  • 7 months ago

@hisnibsuk Why should it be free? Do you also expect free gas, electricity, water etc???

@zyborg47 There's ways to have internet access for a lot less than £30 (this will vary depending on whats available where you are) a month! My brother manages on a absolute pitiful income. If really stuck then there is free access at many libraries.

• R0NSKI
  • 7 months ago

@R0NSKI, TBH, there is very little choice in prices, they differ by a couple of quid a month, I found Plusnet to be one of the cheaper ones at the time apart from Talk Talk and I certainly give them a miss.
As for libraries, ours have been closed for months, should be reopening soon.
If it was not for netflix, I would think about ADSL or even mobile

• zyborg47
  • 7 months ago

All very well to say running costs are rising for BT, but others can resell BT calls for 1p per min and still make a profit. After all, calls are automatically connected by computers, so no human wanting a pay rise for the call element and rental should cover all else.

• professor973
  • 7 months ago

I wouldn't use BT rip off merchants even if they were doing it for free, worse company in the UK

• Deezel
  • 7 months ago

I am surprised I am using Plusnet, since it is owned by BT and I am not fond of BT, but where else to go, at the time we had a choice of sky, Talk Talk, BT or EE, all as bad as each other to be honest. JNow we have Vodafone as well, but I have not heard good things from them either.
so far plusnet have been ok.

• zyborg47
  • 7 months ago

@professor973 - Tell me where calls at 1p can be obtained without a broadband service? I suspect you are referring to a VoIP service when supplementary hardware is required to receive the voice service.

• trolleybus
  • 7 months ago

@ zyborg47 They get BT basic at £15 per quarter which gives them £4.50 a month calls and Broadband.

Well, I knew this was coming. It's going to be fun.

• ZenUser27

@ronski I agree.

I have 200 minute on my mobile but unlimited data and I use the Talk2go app - I haven't until now used my landline but with unlimited minutes to landlines and mobiles included it's worth using.

Saves me a fortune as I only pay £10 a month for my mobile contract and that's 30 days only.

• ZenUser27
  • 7 months ago

@trolleybus he is probably on about Pulse8 - I see they do line rental for £6 a month so to be fair that cost is probably correct.

• ZenUser27
  • 7 months ago

One more comment for all - yes the BT mobile service is good and cheaper if you have BT for internet - but if you leave it then it's no longer competitive. I'm dumping it all

• ZenUser27
  • 7 months ago

@zenuser BT Basic is £15.30 per quarter *without* broadband and the call allowance is £1.50 per month.

• ianbb
  • 7 months ago

I wonder how much of this is due to being told the IP Act does not allow 100% cost recovery, so they need to implement massive logging systems...

• rtho782
  • 7 months ago

@ianbb, it's changed. 2 weeks ago it was £4.50 I will grab the screenshot and upload it when I find it. I took it for a friend

• ZenUser27
  • 7 months ago

@ZenUser27, my Dad have basic, no broadband, but £15 is a still a fair bit for someone who do not use the phone and rely on a pension.
i had someone phone me last night about how to move from BT and they have been with BT since dial up days.

• zyborg47
  • 7 months ago

@zenuser27 & zyborg47 taken from BT website "Low monthly line rental of £5.10 that comes with a call allowance of £1.50."

• ianbb
  • 7 months ago

@trolleybus Pulse8 1p per minute daytime and 0.8p per minute evenings and weekends. No call connection charge, per second billing and no contract tie-in even for FTTC. All of which shows the real cost of a call to the likes of BT!

• professor973
  • 7 months ago

BT Business is putting up its rices for analogue phone lines and associated services and also on ISDN2 & 30 from1st March 2017

• JT_SimRush
  • 7 months ago

Any idea when we can expect emails on this? Last year we got emails in May for the July change, so I'd like out of my contract!

• Kr1s69
  • 7 months ago

Answering my own question, we should be notified starting this Friday.

• Kr1s69
  • 7 months ago

Just to say that having had my email detailing price rise, I decided to switch to Sky. On contacting BT they made me an offer I could not refuse to stay with them, not quite matching Sky, but a much reduced cost over what I have been paying plus BT Sport.

• jabrady10