Broadband News

One step closer to mirroring TalkTalk over at Plusnet

With the shift to the Openreach 40/2 FTTC product a few months ago, PlusNet aligned its fibre based broadband products closer to TalkTalk and now as the providers latest offers appear it emerges that the inclusive call bundles have been dropped from the standard voice line rental. Anyone ordering a PlusNet broadband and phone bundle will now need to remember an appropriate calls bundle (the Evening and Weekend calls bundle costs £3 per month.

• Unlimited ADSL2+, free broadband for 12 months then £9.99 per month in low cost areas on an 18 month contract (£17.49 on rural exchanges).
  • Unlimited FTTC fibre, free for 6 months with up to 38 Mbps downloads (up to 2 Mbps upload), then £14.99 per month in low cost areas (£22.49 for those outside the low cost area).
  • Unlimited FTTC fibre extra, £10/month for 6 months with up to 76 Mbps downloads (up to 19.5 Mbps upload), then £19.99 per month in low cost areas (£27.49 for those outside the low cost area).

Voice line rental at £16.99 per month is required, you can elect to pay line rental annually at £185.88 (monthly equivalent £15.49). Offers expire 27th October 2015.

The dropping of call bundles might reflect a declining use of the landline for voice calls even for calls that are free within a bundle. PlusNet may well be gambling that this cost saving will not put off too many prospective customers, only time will tell.

Comments

With line rental @£16.99 per month were is the cost saving there? I can get line rental a lot cheaper with no contract as well, i have always chosen different providers for voice and Data, and i somehow don't see me changing any time soon

• tommy45
  • over 2 years ago

Cost saving for plusnet

Like shrinking size Mars bars

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 2 years ago

And many other products on the supermarket shelves less weight, or smaller quantity, but same price, they with some things would be better off just increasing the price

• tommy45
  • over 2 years ago

Line rental is a con, the providers know we need it so they stick the price up. I have not used my landline since I been with plusnet. Tommy45 have the right idea, if you can get a cheap enough line rental, you can save by having separate services.

• zyborg47
  • over 2 years ago

I paid PN £131.88 for line rental saver in October 2013 & September 2014 and after the increase at the start of September it's now £185.88, quite an increase and for what?

• 21again
  • over 2 years ago

Evening and weekend call packages are popular with all my extended family that are working.
Whilst we can Skype younger family members pretty much 24/7, middle aged family members often don't have a pute running, and older family like my mother don't have a pute.
It's all about getting headline price as low as possible, then you need to get add-ons.
At £3 I suppose it's not too bad, as with TalkTalk you need to add essentials tv at £10 month

• burble
  • over 2 years ago

If taking line rental and broadband from separate providers then it's unlikely you'll be able take advantage of the sign-up offers (e.g. six months 'free' or whatever), let alone any cash back offers.

Zen used to do one of the cheapest line rentals out there, but they had a different (higher) line rental price if you also took broadband from them (i.e. so they could show a lower headline price of the broadband) - they have now removed the lower line rental only price for new customers.

• binary
  • over 2 years ago

Makes sense. Their customer service seems to be about the same standard now as well.

• AndrueC
  • over 2 years ago

Fast moving to time when it's best to have broadband and line rental with no calls & use mobile for all calls?
Still thick end of £100 pa difference between market A and B once offer period ends

• 961a

@961a
...yep, seems like there's a fair bit of PSTN infrastructure increasingly lying idle these days, with just the odd 'reclaim PPI' cold call to keep it ticking over!

• binary
  • over 2 years ago

So one which used to be one of the best now wants to be like one of the worst?

Shocking

• ZenUser27

@burble, you do not need to add any TV with Talk Talk or plusnet,

• zyborg47
  • over 2 years ago

"it's best to have broadband and line rental with no calls & use mobile for all calls?"

If you and the people you talk to can rely on decent coverage for decent call quality. Never worked (still doesn't) for me and the people I call :(

Also mildly peeved that finarea companies (1899, 18185, etc) UK landline rates have gone from 6p/hour to 0.5p/minute! I'd really prefer not to pay for a "calls bundle" from a major, and at 6p/hour it was easy.

See also: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6772-openreach-line-rental-charges-continue-to-diverge-from-retail-price.html

• c_j_

@zyborg47
AFAIK to get evenings and weekends talk time on a new package you have to add 'essentials tv', older packages that are still running keep e&w, but once you change package you lose it as a stand alone add on.

• burble

@ c_j_
Same here, to use mobile at home I have to stand at kitchin sink and have phone on speaker in the window. Could use a out side aerial, but what a pain.

• burble
  • over 2 years ago

"I have to stand at kitchin sink and have phone on speaker in the window"

At least you're inside - frequently I need to walk up the street since EE enabled 4G (and by coincidence 3G stopped working).

Anyone know if any of the various femtocells (?) etc (which act as a tiny mobile base station and use broadband for calls, e.g Orange Signal Box) work in a network-unlocked way with the PAYG networks such as GiffGaff?

• c_j_
  • over 2 years ago

@burble, you are right, I have just had a look. I have not used my land line since it was installed, I had one call and that was from Plusnet offering me their TV service. I use a VoIP phone, not that I use that a lot. The line renal price is far too high for what we get out of it. Ofcom needs to step in, but they won't,

• zyborg47

• zyborg47
  • over 2 years ago

Last time I looked at O2's offering it would only work on pay monthly.
It's an app that links to wifi on router, femtocells IIRC can only be issued by your mobile operator else they are illegal.

• burble
  • over 2 years ago

@ZenUser27 regarding your "shocking" comment... I think I recognise you from the forums, albeit with a slightly different handle.

Plusnet has never been some perfect nirvana, it had its ups and downs well before BT ownership.

The TalkTalk comparison was that of the headline writer, not Plusnet. PN doesn't offer a perfect service, but for many it hits the spot just fine. Zen and others are considerably more expensive - £16 a month for unlimited ADSL, or £27 a month for unlimited FTTC up to 38Mbps, plus £16.99 line rental.

• binary
  • over 2 years ago

Leity that's not correct please see http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/rural-broadband/Fibre-roll-out.aspx

• fastman
  • over 2 years ago

Shrinking chocolate bars, shrinking everything, welcome to shrinkflation, where less is more.

• NilSatisOptimum