Broadband News

DCMS declares three million superfast premises passed milestone

The BDUK phase 1 roll-outs continue out at a fast pace with the DCMS proudly announcing that the projects across the UK have now made superfast broadband (at speeds of 24 Mbps or faster) to some three million premises.

The last milestone was the 2.5 million mark passed in May 2015 and tracking the actual change since then until 10th August we can see an extra 640,000 have FTTC or FTTP available to them (a small amount of this will be delayed commercial cabinets). Of course the availability is not uniform and the map of Great Britain below shows the distribution by constituency.

The coverage of fibre based broadband is higher as the DCMS apply a filter so that premises likely to get under 24 Mbps are not included and along with Northern Ireland that is missing our map you can check these figures and your own postcode using our availability checker at http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local.

Comments

Do they just count postal addresses for the area served by the fibre cab? I live in a village with 457 postal addresses and the fibre cab can only supply 288 lines. If 289 people wanted fibre would they extend the cab just for one customer or say that person can't have it?

• zhango
  • over 2 years ago

If cab fills up yes they will extend and paid for by openreach

So is premises counted by dcms and us

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 2 years ago

To clarify, in Zhango's scenario DCMS would claim 457 addresses had been passed (assuming all were close enough to get 24Mbps)?

• gerarda
  • over 2 years ago

Thank you both - I'm hoping to move next year and superfast BB is a selling point. I get 4 Meg on adsl max so don't need fibre but if BT will extend fibre cab if it's full then I can advertise as superfast available.
Regarding the issue of 457 addresses being counted, how does anyone know what speeds customers are getting?
There is a bit of disappointment in the village with speeds lower than expected with one property I know, less than 300 metres from cab, getting 16 - 18 Meg and many others have a similar problem with speeds well under 24 Meg.

• zhango
  • over 2 years ago

Openreach will of course have access to dslam records but DCMS will be using things the estimated speeds

Internal wiring is simething people sometimes over look

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff

zhango
Get them to run a speed test from this site then look at the map that will give you real tested speeds to look at and Andrew data to work with as well.

• jumpmum

Andrew.
Are the colours off as the Hebredies now have 19.3% coverage from your constituency tool yet looks like 0% on the map, likewise Shetland and Ross don't match the scale colours?

• jumpmum

Hi Zhango
If possible get the customers in you village to do a speed test tied to their post code only a few is required to get an overview of the area Cabs differant ISP,s if possible.

• Blackmamba
  • over 2 years ago

@jumpmum - I will check both data and shading. Suspect scale may be issue as map is continuous range of shades rather than just the few shades of scale.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff

@zhango
The last statistics gleaned from BT took a snapshot of over half the cabinets nationwide (34,000 out of 60,000+); dated last autumn.

Those stats showed that 90% of cabinets were still on their first or second linecard (a Huawei-288 takes 6), and 0.2% were either full or within their last 16 ports.

Remember that nationwide take-up is at 20%.

• WWWombat
  • over 2 years ago

*Strokes the 9 full line cards on the fibre node here.

• Dixinormous
  • over 2 years ago

Okay image fixed, was caused by me hovering over the image and some opacity highlights not removing themselves, so have disabled that nicety to avoid the mistake.

Also shifted the figures on the legend slightly to match better the colour they represent.

End result things don't look as bad in some areas, which will please some and upset others.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 2 years ago

Thanks to everyone who commented with useful info and advice - much appreciated.

• zhango
  • over 2 years ago

I'm skeptical about the claimed "fibre" coverage figures.

BT claim my FTTC enabled cabinet “passes” 250 properties but only 60 of those lines are capable of supporting any sort of VDSL based service (not just > superfast speed).

which figure is used, the 60 or 250? In this scenario, which figure is used

• craski
  • over 2 years ago

Should be the 60, if you say which exchange and cabinet can tell you exactly what our system is doing.

The 3 million is 3 million with access to superfast in the DCMS release, which has a base speed of 24 Mbps, so those under that are not included.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 2 years ago

@Andrew, that would be of interest.
Exchange is NSALF, cabinet 1.

• craski
  • over 2 years ago

77 premises superfast and the rest of your 250 are below 24 Mbps and some classed as zero by me e.g those by Hill or Airlie.

Aberdeenshire (which they fall in is) 49.3% superfast, 61.3% fibre based (this includes my zero figures).

Which seems fair enough, the wider the gap between fibre and superfast figure the more premises are like those you are worrying about.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 2 years ago

I have seen other cabinets with a similar spread of premises, but the vast majority are more tightly packed and outlying postcodes often have fewer premises per postcode.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff

@Andrew
Thanks for detailed explanation.

• craski
  • over 2 years ago

I live in a village in the Welsh valleys and when the telephones were first installed the main cabinet was placed on the edge of the village nearest the exchange and underground subs run from there, the result now is that only a few can get "superfast" speeds because the village like many others is spread out in a long line.

First as a dial up customer I was getting 34k, from my adsl days I was paying for speeds up to 8Mb and got 1.34Mb, that then went to up to 17Mb and still got 1.34Mb, now as a VDSL customer I'm paying for up to 70Mb and getting 16.8Mb.

• lmschuffer

Contd........
Don't get me wrong the speed increases have been very welcome and I appreciate that charging people for what they are getting would be very difficult but..........

I think I've probably paid enough "extra money" to what I'm getting to pay for another cabinet and dslam nearer the middle of the village.

• lmschuffer
  • over 2 years ago

If paying for an up to 76 Mbps product downgrade to an up to 38 Mbps and save £5 to £10 per month

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff

Thanks Andrew.
When I first took out my VDSL package an opportunity existed to have only up to 38Mb at a lower cost which I took, later it was upgraded at no extra cost to unlimited.
I was really just making the point about paying for what you get, tongue in cheek, in that I am paying for "Superfast" but not getting it and not likely to in the near future.
I'm sure I'm not alone with this and I read that less than the superfast ( 24Mb ?) speeds recorded do not count towards the some 3 million premises past.
I wonder how many of us there are ??

• lmschuffer
  • over 2 years ago

How many of you are there? Easy check the news where we have the stats or peek at http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/ where the difference between the two lines on the graph shows people like you

i.e. 5% of premises so around 1.2 million from the 23 million with access to a fibre based solution.

• andrew