Broadband News

G.Fast NGA2 trials start in August

Broadband providers are lining up to take part in the NGA2 trials that Openreach is getting ready, with providers receiving a briefing last Friday. NGA2 comprises of trials for G.Fast and a new and improved Fibre on Demand product. Three locations were announced for the trials, but the latest briefing was about the Huntingdon area and to inform providers that Openreach will be contacting people about the free trial in the next few weeks.

G.Fast in chipset manufacturer speak may offer Gigabit speeds, this is the combined download and upload capacity, the current product speed we believe that is under trial matches the fastest FTTP product Openreach sell at 330 Mbps download and 30 Mbps upload. Fibre on Demand is undergoing a transformation with new processes in an attempt to reduce the costs to Openreach and fingers crossed lower pricing.

We know some people will be bored of trials and want the product available to order yesterday, but G.Fast is so new that the silicon is hot off the presses and data on real world performance and the cost analysed to see exactly where the product will fit in between FTTC and native FTTP.

Comments

Like I said before - it only seems to be the same snobby places.

If they let others in on the trials it wouldn't be so bad.

• ZenUser27
  • over 2 years ago

Random spot on map in Huntingdon https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Huntingdon,+Cambridgeshire/@52.346412,-0.172917,3a,75y,112.53h,77.18t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1svhLgS9dgSngwgMsAYaB3kA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DvhLgS9dgSngwgMsAYaB3kA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D100%26h%3D80%26yaw%3D29.08139%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x47d809d91da0a841:0x8c9e2acd52eadd1!6m1!1e1

hardly what most people would consider snobby is it.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 2 years ago

clearly you have never been there?

Also not as random as say Cardiff Liverpool and Dublin..

• ZenUser27
  • over 2 years ago

If Huntingdon, Gosforth and Swansea are snobby, then god help us.

Me thinks that ZenUser is a bit jealous of those areas....

• AndyCZ
  • over 2 years ago

I expect that one location has to be somewhere within reach of Martlesham. That's certainly been true of the vectoring trials, the optical trials, and the early technical trials of G.fast.

Looks harmless to me, rather than snobby. If I were going for snobby, I'd try Esher or Virginia Water. Even Guildford, though that has its share of non-snobby.

• WWWombat
  • over 2 years ago

@AndyCZ when I am rocking 250/50? Not not at all.

• ZenUser27
  • over 2 years ago

Hi broadband Watchers.
A non snobby area would be the enclave of Belstead off Copdock Exchange not far from Martlesham a good mix of Customers Bus/ Res and could be used on an exchange 20cn enabled power surpply easy access plus fibre overhead and UG provision required. Customers over the 1 mile getting low speeds.

• Blackmamba
  • over 2 years ago

Sorry Andy I got it wrong it's only 231/30 but yes I am jealous. When it comes this way I can have 990/90 over my 3 lines, lovely!

• ZenUser27
  • over 2 years ago

blackmamba not sure what fascination of Bealstd off copfdock exchange so suggest they speak to BDUK Suffolk aroud their SEP project or have a direct conversation with openreach around community funding a cab --

• fastman
  • over 2 years ago

still waiting for vectoring and g.inp.

• chrysalis