Broadband News

Telford and Wrekin to head for almost universal superfast coverage

Telford and Wrekin is doing fairly well for superfast broadband coverage already at 86.8% based on our own analysis, and a £5.6 million contract has just been signed with BT to add an extra 9,300 'residents and businesses'.

The extra premises should mean coverage will reach 98% with the option to buy a superfast broadband connection. The press release is a little odd in referring to residents in the numbers covered, since people do not live to 1 per property on average and if the 9,300 is really residents we do not expect the council to hit the 98% target - we presume its just a poorly worded press release and 9,300 homes and businesses is what it really means. One problem that affects any contract/project like this is if a builder in late 2015 decides to building another 1,500 properties in an area and the builder does not engage ahead of people moving in to ensure decent broadband coverage.

thinkbroadband calculation of current fibre, superfast and new USO broadband coverage in Telford & Wrekin - 30th March 2015
Council Area % fibre based % superfast (>30 Mbps) % cable % Openreach FTTP % Under 2 Mbps USC % Under 5 Mbps (new USO) % Under 15 Mbps
Telford and Wrekin 90.5% 86.8% 77.2% 0% 0.4% 1% 3.3%
Analysis is based on actual coverage and is not extrapolated from speed test results.

If the project does hit 98% superfast coverage it is highly likely that something like 99.99% of premises will then have access to fibre based broadband. The big unknown is how much extra coverage is Virgin Media going to be building in specific areas as part of its £3 billion expansion over the next few years.

Survey work is set to start in Autumn 2015 and the first gap funded cabinets should start to appear in early 2016 with the deployment ending by the end of 2017.

Comments

The title of the original PR does state "homes & businesses", even if the text doesn't.

I guess being able to hit 98% here in Telford is an example of why some county projects can continue into 2018, but the national target of 95% could still be met in 2017 before all the county projects conclude.

• WWWombat
  • over 2 years ago

Telford and Wrekin should have gone for 99.99% FTTP instead.

• adslmax

Who's paying? You?

• Dixinormous
  • over 2 years ago

Andrew Thanks for showing the USC percentage.

• gerarda
  • over 2 years ago

Now, if 77% have cable and 90% have fibre, does that not indicate a significant wastage of public money?

• mikejp
  • over 2 years ago

Why a waste? They are aiming to push to 98% superfast? Which with the number of premises mentioned is an increase of another 10 percentage points in terms of coverage.

This is NOT about hitting the old 90% superfast target, but the newer 95% and they've decided to exceed it in preparation of the final 2020 100% EU target.

Isn't cable 'superfast'?

• mikejp
  • over 2 years ago

Cable is superfast, but presumably is included within the 90.5% that is "fibre-based", as well as within the 86.8% that is superfast.

The money is for homes that aren't yet superfast (so not for homes that are cable), but some overlap is allowed by DCMS rules, if converting a cabinet happens to include some VM homes.

• WWWombat
  • over 2 years ago

@wwwombat yes it is included in those figures and is both superfast and ultrafast. So one could say 77.2% of Wrekin already has access to ultra-fast broadband.

• over 2 years ago

So cable is fibre-based? Now you confuse me.

• mikejp
  • over 2 years ago

Cable is fibre to the neighbourhood / node.

• Dixinormous

Hi broadband watchers.
Hope Thinkbroadband will provide information from their speed test results over this area this should give the banding 15 meg to 2. I am surprised there is no FTTC/H. Included in the contract.

• over 2 years ago

It is very encouraging to look at areas such as Telford and Wrekin and see that they are progressing well with their projects and even have end dates. However, those of us who are not so lucky still have pathetically slow broadband. Out of the 288 lines connected to cabinet 4 on the West Chiltington exchange in West Sussex only 200 can get above 15Mbps. One of my bonded FTTC lines is only running at 1.12Mbps at the moment!

• over 2 years ago

@blackmamba if there is no fttc/h in the contract how are you expecting BT to deliver the contract?

Hi Chil
I do not see low results on your area on Thinkbroadband maps unable to find CAB 4.

• over 2 years ago

Speed test maps are irrelevant here and the data in the news article has nothing to do with any users speed tests.

Hi Blackmamba
My postcode is RH20 2JX. Cab 4 is at RH20 2QP [next to Nightigales] I have another closer cabinet that would give me good superfast speeds at RH20 2JN [next to crossroads with Broadford Bridge Road]
Speed tests don't give a good picture in West Chiltington.

• over 2 years ago

Unfortunately, as has been pointed out before, the maps are quite inaccurate. The area around Nutbourne is showing green dots when they barely achieve 2Mb, and near Chilting, by the words 'Sinnocks' there is a rogue ?green? dot where barely 1Mb is achieved. I hope no-one places too much store on them!

• mikejp
  • over 2 years ago

I think people are talking about lots of different speed sources at the same time, i.e.

1. Actual speed tests people have run
2. Speed estimate layer on maps.thinkbroadband.com (which needs an update and is todo list)
3. Estimated coverage data for an area
4. Estimates given by Openreach and morphed by providers in sales estimates

• over 2 years ago

South of Stream Lane near Nutbourne is a green dot (RH20 2HG). BT's checker offers 'Up to 1Mb' for all ADSL products and no FTTC.

• mikejp
  • over 2 years ago

The only 'speed source' I am talking about is your map!

• mikejp
  • over 2 years ago

And there is lots of different layers on that map - the green dot though tells me what you are probably referring to and as mentioned needs an update and believe RH20 2HG would then be yellow.

• over 2 years ago

The main reason that the speed maps are inaccurate can only be understood by looking at the history of the West Chiltington exchange. Back in the 1980's our old exchange was ripped out by BT and the land sold to a developer. Most of the lines were exchange only at that time. BT simply bundled the lines up and put them in cabinets close together near a crossroads. cont..

• over 2 years ago

These new cabinets did not serve the area close to them, hence the long lines. Some lines extend out 5km. FTTC has helped those close to the cabinets and those residents in the old village and Thakeham who both have local cabinets. Therefore, without lots more data it would be impossible to produce an accurate map.

• over 2 years ago

I should add that our exchange is now located at Storrington about 3km away. Hence the pathetic ADSL speeds. Some customers on long lines are still on dial up.

Hi Chi
Which ISP are you with and it it tied to the your post code on Thinkbroadband map

Hi Blackmamba
A&AISP.
My speed tests are not recorded on the map. I do have a bonded line. My average speed, with both lines, is around 5Mbps since FTTC last July. On ADSL it was around 1.75Mbps. I have test results recorded on my profile going back to April 2011.

Hi Chi.
What is the distance from your home to the post code GPS position.

Hi CHI
I have the position GPS post code the plough boys rest.

Hi Blackmamba
I am Village Nurseries, within 30m of the GPS position.

Hi Chi
At your position post code QPS the distance from your home to the Cab FTTC I make it aprox 1 mile on I pad map.
On your post code there is a very low reading ISP see result on Thinkbroadband map. I have a feeling if this is removed your service will improve. This is only removed in 120 day window.

Hi Chi
Andrews staff may be able to tell you when this ISP will be removed from the entry date.

Hi Blackmamba
The low ISP reading is from a Vodaphone mobile. Yes, mobile reception is also useless in West Chiltington.
The most annoying thing about the current situation is that I have lines running at about 50Mbps on West Chiltington Cabinet 1 just 200m from me!

Hi Chi
If you know the Vodaphone number ask him not to place the test on it. I will check it daily and log. When I return from Spain I will visit you.

• over 2 years ago

Our map must be blessed with magical powers if a test expiring from the map will actually improve someone's speed.

People carrying out mobile speed tests is a perfectly valid thing to do, and I do not see what telling not to do a test would achieve.

• over 2 years ago

Just so you know and don't get confused the ADSL and fibre estimate layers have no had their update pushed to them.

Hi Blackmamba
Thank you for your help.

@andrew
The locations around West Chiltington marked with a red dot on the FTTC estimates map would be better described as Not Spots for FTTC rather than areas that are capable of getting speeds up to 4Mbps.

Hi Chi
If possible please can you register on your post code with ISP AA let's hit the Post code or with you neighbour so we have a good referance.

Hi Andrew Staff and Chi.
Please see above this ties in with the USC and USO lets get it sorted.

• over 2 years ago

@chilting - what's your point? The ADSL checker says 5.1 to 6.4 as you are on a long line from the cabinet.

'I have a feeling if this is removed your service will improve.' Classic!

@BM - what are you going to sort?

• Somerset

@mikejp
"So cable is fibre-based? Now you confuse me."

Cable is indeed fibre-based. You do know that the whole thing where ASA allowed companies to use the term "fibre broadband" to describe technology that is really copper-fibre hybrid, was started by Virgin?

It was VM's adverts for "fibre broadband" in 2008, before BT had deployed any FTTC, that got hauled into ASA and "approved".

• WWWombat

Hi Somerset.
I think you will find that CHI results are being controlled by Thinkbroadband map results as he is on FTTC long line.

• over 2 years ago

@blackmamba Can you explain how our map is controlling the Chilting results?

@Andrew
I hope you've got the TBB map on a resilient server. The whole internet is going to come crashing down if that map goes offline!

• WWWombat

Hi Andrew staff.
I have found on other post codes that when you drop off the last stored one in the 120 day window the speed increases on that post code.
You willl see in the data on his post code the date it will be removed the DLM will start to take action.

@Somerset
The point is that I have another cabinet only 500m away that would give me superfast. Also some of my immediate neighbours on RH20 2jX can only get ADSL at up to 1Mbps.

@Andrew
Your FTTC estimate still has a green dot on my postcode. RH20 2JX. The fastest any of my neighbours can get on this postcode is around 8Mbps. The slowest can get no FTTC and just up to 1Mbps on ADSL. There is no superfast broadband on this postcode.

RH20 2JX Red for ADSL and est is 1 Mbps
Yellow for FTTC and est is 5 to 10 Mbps

And that is from a look just now.

• over 2 years ago

@Blackmamba and by what mechanism does the DLM start to take action when our speed test map drops a data point?

Very curious to here how the two are linked and also how you know the date of a test that is shown on the map.

Hi Andrew staff.
I do not know the date but I log the result then wait untill the bottom number decreases that is why I wanted the day window. (120 days I think.)

• over 2 years ago

Ok, so by inference and now can you answer how the 'DLM will start to take action' once the date is removed?

@Andrew
It might be a slightly lighter shade of lime green but it is still green on my map. Also some lines on the postcode don't get FTTC at any speed. The dot should be red. The dot on Southlands Lane, closer to the cabinet should be yellow. The cabinet is located at RH20 2QP

Hi Anndrew staff
From my results I think you sort to the lowest number then by date. Have you the dates for CHi two drops on his phone. I think when these are removed the speeds will incress on this post code.

Hi Anndrew staff
From my observations the DLM is taking a Referance from these low results.

Hi Andrews staff.
Is the phone number the same GPS position as the post code GPS just a thought.

• over 2 years ago

So you believe their is an actual link from our map system into the BT Wholesale AND Openreach DLM systems?

Hi Andrew staff.
I feel the only way to prove this option is to remove or change the phone number date.

• over 2 years ago

Let me set you straight - there is NO LINK to the BT Wholesale or Openreach DLM systems, i.e. we do not feed data into that system. Speed test data remains firmly within our control.

Also not sure why you are going on about phone number now, since the speed test does not ask for peoples phone number at all.

Hi Andrew Staff
I did state date.

• over 2 years ago

whooohoooo superfast....eerm 24Mbps??? lol but what ever you do, don't check their online postcode checker.....

• bartman007

Hi Chi

?????????????

• mikejp

Hi Mikejp
Hi do you want the two post codes ?.

• over 2 years ago

@BM "Good news on two other locations where the speed is improving when the entry was dropped. We will just have to wait. " I'm sorry but that's stark raving mad. Do you understand nothing? TBB has no connection with BT or DLM.

• MCM999

Hi MCM999
If they have no connection TBB why do they not remove the dates or have they got something to hide.

• over 2 years ago

@BM - Are you saying BT use TBB to configure broadband lines?

• Somerset
  • over 2 years ago

@BM Try living in the real world rather than the fantasy world you seem to have built around you. For the most part your posts over the last few weeks have been nothing but fanciful rubbish and have contributed nothing. May I suggest refraining from posting until you have something real and meaningful to say.

• MCM999

Unbelievable ;)

@blackmamba's long been on my virtual 'ignore-this-p!©π∆€' list, but this is PMSL funny.

For a moment, I did wonder whether BM was doing an excellent April Fool job; perhaps his calendar is running a couple of days behind everyone else's

• WWWombat
  • over 2 years ago

Could he be Jeremy Hunt in disguise?

• mikejp
  • over 2 years ago

In the meantime one of my FTTC lines is still running at just 1.12Mbps, as it has for most of the time since Christmas. Postcode RH20 2JX.

Hi CHI.
I still feel your post code speed will not improve until the Vodaphone record is removed. I think if you contact your ISP they may be able to help you and give you the reading on the lenght of your cable pair from the FTTC-----cable-----home. Mikejp. You could be very close.

• over 2 years ago

@BM Where is this record you refer to? How can it affect actual speed?

• Somerset

Hi Chi.And others.
Just received from a customer that his line has dropped from 12 meg to 2 meg he is also on a switched post code on Thinkbroadband maps this report was from the airport.

• over 2 years ago

@BM Is this an actual measured speed change?

• Somerset
  • over 2 years ago

@blackmamba You are very wrong on your understanding, a speed test on our site cannot influence the various DLM systems since there is no link other than you 'feel' there is.

This worries me as you appear to be advising people and thus may be confusing people

Hi Somerset
Yes this was early this morning so it was not congestion it was also on a line on another post code but on the same cab. This situation has also a line which is recording a vadophone connection on Thinkbroadband map.

• over 2 years ago

Hi Andrew staff ond Others.
If the customers are confused with my statements they should be contacting their ISP or prove me incorrect. I still think the problem is the post codes changing there positions thus overlapping.

@Blackmamba
Cabinet 4 West Chiltington does serve a very wide area. Only 200 of the 288 lines that could be connected to this cabinet can get superfast. Add to that the poor quality of the infrastructure, some of the copper is over 50 years old, and it is only to be expected that we get so many problems with noisy lines dropping.

• over 2 years ago

@BM People would be far less confused if you were to stop making your ridiculous posts. You appear to have little knowledge of broadband and suggest what little you think you might know you keep to yourself. You simply don't have a clue and are simply spouting rubbish and codswallop.

• MCM999

Hi MCM999.
I can not see why you are getting so upset over my little knowledge of broadband just delete it from your in box. At any time Thinkbroadband can delete if they wish. I think you are saying by overlapping post codes this has no results on Thinkbroadband maps and speeds.

Hi MCM999.

Hi Chi
As all lines are checked regulately on the network for distance from the Cab to the post code and will be switched to in or out of Availibity this could be that a high % has not be registered if the post code has been moved.

• over 2 years ago

The best way to deal with a troll is by ignoring him. Easy for the rest of us, once we put aside the laughter aside. Harder for Andrew to do, when the nature of TBB is called into question.

• WWWombat
  • over 2 years ago

@wwwombat. I am going to ask Andrew to remove my speed test from his map so I will get a faster speed.

• gerarda
  • over 2 years ago

How we plot the postcodes is irrelevant to BT or how any other operator runs its dlm. The issue of needing to zoom in to split some postcodes was dealt with in terms of explanation a long time ago with blackmamba.

Hi Gerarda.
Andrew will not remove your speed test on his map because it will provide me to be correct.

• over 2 years ago

@BM - just to check, are you saying the TBB map affects the actual speed of the line?

'all lines are checked regulately (sic) on the network for distance from the Cab' Do they change?

• Somerset

Hi Somerset.
Just read Openreach EMLC. Mtce on system and new lines.

How do postcodes move?

• Somerset

Hi Somerset.
Have you never tried Thinkbroadband speed and placed it on the QPS post code position then waited for its removal it does happen in the Ewhurst area.

• over 2 years ago

Please explain more in more detail. How does QPS fit into this, removal from where?

• Somerset

Hi Somerset.
Sorry not QPS but GPS position.

• over 2 years ago

For the avoidance of doubt to anyone who is willing is listen - THERE IS NO LINK BETWEEN DOING A SPEED TEST ON THINKBROADBAND AND THE SPEEDS THE VARIOUS BT DLM SYSTEMS IMPOSE.

Or put another way the link that @Blackmamba is insinuating does not exist, our data remains our data.

@andrew - I don't think anybody except Blackmamba had any other thought

• gerarda

Hi Broadband Watchers.
If you check in your area the % of customers at 2 or under I think you will find that they are 3 times over on Thinkbroadband map results.
The results for Surrey 7% in May 2014 today's ?.as each day passes the results get worse.

• over 2 years ago

The broadband map system was never designed for assessing the number at 2 Mbps or under, and figures thinkbroadband features showing %'age under 2 Mbps is NOT based on the map system.