Broadband News

Virgin Media announces it is turning up the speed dial

Virgin Media is keen to retain its crown as the fastest major broadband provider in the UK though it has to emphasis the major, as Gigabit speeds are available to probably around 40,000 homes in the UK. The speed upgrades today mean that BT, Sky and TalkTalk will not be able to beat Virgin Media in a download speed battle.

Over the course of the next twelve months Virgin Media will upgrade existing customers as follows:

• 30 Mbps customers will be upgraded to a 50 Mbps download with 3 Mbps upload
  • 60 Mbps customers will get 100 Mbps download and 6 Mbps upload
  • 120 Mbps customers will get boosted to 152 Mbps download and 12 Mbps upload

We have been seeing some speed tests from Virgin Media that look very much like the 152 Mbps product, so it seems the network and product is ready to go. The upgrade will be offered to customers who can decide to remain on their existing speed if they so wish, but the upgrade we are told will not incur any need to recontract or a change in pricing.

In addition to the new products, the downstream traffic management is being removed as of today, but the upstream management will remain in place. The fastest service with 152 Mbps speeds mean that people should be able to download a HD movie in around four minutes, or alternatively stream multiple films to different rooms in the home.

Obviously we have asked about the effect that running the network faster may have on congestion and was assured that as well as boosting the speeds they are upgrading the network. In the last year alone peak Internet use has grown by 55% on Virgin Media and a whopping 1000% since the launch in 2007.

While it is normal to bemoan the state of UK Broadband it needs to be pointed out that with these upgrades, some 12.5 million homes now have the option of a 152 Mbps product.

Update 9am Virgin Media has now released the press release onto its website, we have also updated our package listing for Virgin Media to reflect the speed increases.

Comments

They cant get their current service right. What use is it to current ( and NEW )customers having faster speeds when Vermin media cant produce what they advertise now!!

They can advertise fast download speeds all they want, Their UPLOAD speeds are shockingly poor which is coming everyday use more and more, due to social media freaks.

This is where BT shine and make Virgin look like that brown stuff on the bottom of BT'S Shoe.

VIRGIN, NOTHING BUT HEADLINE GRABBING AGAIN!!!

• Keyholder
  • over 3 years ago

The news here is that Virgin Media are increasing their upload speeds (albeit only slightly), and removing downstream traffic management. Is there a link to the press release?

• OnFire
  • over 3 years ago

what?? you call an xtra 75kbs upload news ??

Max upload rate will be a "Traffic Rate 12600000 bps" currently its "12000000" bps so considering Vm operate on a 10:1 ratio the 120Mb down service should be getting this anyhows.

so its no news really.

the 60Mb is going to 100Mb but staying at a 6mb upload rate, which is pathetic. you can get that on an infinity 38Mb package

And virgin are supposed to be bringing out a 1gbps service soon in 2015 - 2016, yeah right.

• Keyholder
  • over 3 years ago

60Mb/100Mb download is going from 3Mb to 6Mb upload. 30Mb/50Mb download is going from 2Mb to 3Mb upload.

• OnFire
  • over 3 years ago

Virgin Media are very good on spin, less so on actually producing the goods promised.

Their "Insane" Bolt fronted publicity from 18/24 months ago promised a doubling of upload speeds (in my case from 3->6) needless to say I am still waiting .....

In fact I am just arranging for FTTC with Plusnet, which given I am only 100m from the CAB (finally gone live) will I suspect leave Virgin for dust ....

• farrina

Keyholder:
Just to let you know that my VM service is fantastic. I've had very few problems over the past 10 years and they have been sorted in a professional and timely manner. I would recommend VM to anyone. looking forward to the 152/12 free upgrade.

• dalmore
  • over 3 years ago

Every FREE speed increase I've ever had from Virgin was swiftly followed by a price increase, I had 2 price increases last year one as a result of not taking their landline service. I find that disgusting considering they advertise that you don't have to have a landline from them to get broadband, but then penalise you for not taking it.

I'm predicting yet another price increase shortly before or after that supposedly FREE upgrade.

• markieb
  • over 3 years ago

The main issue is VM does not increase coverage in any "significant" way.
Speed increases given do not really improve service markedly as the majority of web based things normal families do is amply dealt with by 30Mbps connections.
The promise of increased bandwidth across the network will be interesting, will it deal with areas where the contention is maxed out.
I can't see VM substantially growing their customer base with simple speed increases.

• themanstan
  • over 3 years ago

I agree markieb. Virgin Media regularly whack up their prices for existing customers. Fed up with being ripped off I shall be changing to ADSL when I move house. It's now cheaper to get a Landline + ADSL than it is to get VM Broadband only. Their price gouging has got worse since Library took over.

• stator
  • over 3 years ago

themanstan - Perhaps given their debts all they want to do is retain the customers they have. This might be good enough to do that.

• AndrueC
  • over 3 years ago

Not availabe in my area I was told, and I was told that new customers will be on 120 until upgrade is done HOWEVER I rang up retentions and he said he would put me on 152 now so that when it does upgrade i would be ready - but it's done!

STM has been off here for months aswell :)

• over 3 years ago

AndrueC Is that a joke? If they wanted to retain customers they wouldn't be charging existing customers higher prices, even discounting special offers.

• stator
  • over 3 years ago

That's the 152 product! provisioned @ 168mbps!

• over 3 years ago

LOL at Virgin upload speeds.
Can anyone remember the last time Virgin added new coverage to existing properties?

• Chrismb
  • over 3 years ago

Well not everyone is using upload and it's a shame STM is staying on there but.. and do yo mean new speeds to existing properties? if so yes mine was 120 in november 2012.

• over 3 years ago

pcoventry76 - It was me who you spoke to in retentions and changed your speed. I was really surprised that worked but glad your enjoying

• dan_ghtm
  • over 3 years ago

Nice one Dan, thanks for coming on here - I was surprised too but it did work and as I said you are a star! if I still lived where I said i'd have bought you several pints :)

• over 3 years ago

If in a speed test mood try http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/ispa

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 3 years ago

Retentions also gave me an early upgrade :) http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1393593949490547255

• _mike_
  • over 3 years ago

I rang and asked for the upgrade and got told no because it is not in my area yet....

Bit annoyed to be honest as it's advertised all over their website now

• GrumpyBugger
  • over 3 years ago

@GrumpyBugger did you speak to retentions? Complain about January's price increase. Retentions reduced my bill and gave me 152Mb.

• _mike_
  • over 3 years ago

How do i speak to retentions ? :)

• GrumpyBugger
  • over 3 years ago

I had a letter saying I could leave before 4th march so I did actually call up to see if they could do me 152. it worked im now looking to add TV aswell. Dan was great he works where I did for a while, great team. I'm glad that I got through to his office

• over 3 years ago

@GrumpyBugger if you have a Virgin phone, 150, option 5, then 3 ("Thinking of leaving us for any other reason").

• _mike_
  • over 3 years ago

Thank's mike, not sure what to say to them as i'm not thinking of leaving lol ...

• GrumpyBugger
  • over 3 years ago

You say that you're unhappy with the price rise and ask if they'll do anything about it? Shortly after, put forward the suggestion of upgrading to 152Mb, but not before they've looked at reducing your bill.

• _mike_
  • over 3 years ago

Ok spoke to retentions, got through to the snottiest woman, told me again nope, you are not getting it til it's in your area, spoke about the price increases, we only recieved the letter 2 weeks ago, i was told tough it's too late to talk about them, you had til february 1st and spoke to me like utter crap, they have now lost me as a customer. Told them to cancel the whole lot

• GrumpyBugger
  • over 3 years ago

Grumpy Bugger - I work in the department. You don't have to pretend to be leaving. It's our job to stop you from leaving so we don't care that you don't really want to. You could see if your area is ready but just ask them to change it now so you don't have to later on and like pcoventry76, it might just be that it changes straight away. His area wasn't due until later

• dan_ghtm

Hi Dan,

Honestly i got told literally tough wait til your area is done and tough about price increase and tough if you cancel £300 charges as we are still in contract, i was spoken to like dog excremement on her shoes, they have now lost a customer.

• GrumpyBugger

Hi again Dan,

Still very upset at the way i was treated on the phone, wish i hadn't rang now, who do i speak to now about getting the charges dropped ?

• GrumpyBugger

@ dalmore about 7 hours ago
Wow. Do you work for virgin.. i personally know VM call centre staff who wouldnt come out with as much crap as you just did!!!

TBB - but the upgrade we are told will not incur any need to recontract or a change in pricing. -

So what about the price increase we just had ??? or was that just a kick in the balls for good faith.

• Keyholder

@andrew

Sure thing, here's the first http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1393599082220425955

@dan

If I decide not to get the TV I might do what I suggested and try to get another line in new order should also be 152.

• over 3 years ago

@ Andrew - Heres mine - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1393599030240319955

Speeds there but service is poor. Gamings pointless, someone with 300ms ping can kill me yet i cant hit them with a 34ms ping? Youtube constant buffering even on 240, having to refresh webpages all the time, skype its like talking on a mobile with no signal, Thank god ive only took out BB ( 12 months ) and thats it, soon as its over i wont be back to virgin ever again. I only came back this time after 6 years due to cheap BB, yeah monkeys at the other end!

• Keyholder
  • over 3 years ago

Surprised adslmax hasn't ordered this yet.

• Dixinormous
  • over 3 years ago

mines just fine, even watching 4K videos on youtube is no problem.

• over 3 years ago

Ah no need to be surprised he has now.

• Dixinormous
  • over 3 years ago

hes ordered it? I guess he would have jumped a lot of waiting as new customers get it - but he's not been away more than a few weeks he wont be seen as a new customer i dont think

• over 3 years ago

clearly not, i have read the other thread. What a waste it seems

Posted by Dixinormous about 3 hours ago
Surprised adslmax hasn't ordered this yet.

I just signed up 152/12 because I am happy to hear traffic management is removed from download only.

• adslmax
  • over 3 years ago

Rocking cable and fttc, should call you broadbandmax now.

• flipdee
  • over 3 years ago

so the guys has FTTC for his kids and cable for him, and? leave him be.

• over 3 years ago

Virgin put up their prices but so did BT in January 2014. I now pay £43.66 per month for Unlimited BT Infinity 2 with phone line. In real terms I get around 74 Mbit/sec down & 18 Mbit/sec upload speeds after overheads. I don't use the BT phone line, so Virgin's 152 Mbit/sec down 12 Mbit/sec up broadband only for £37.50p per month looks good, particularly if they've removed stm on downloads.

• k2150
  • over 3 years ago

If BT FTTC Cabinet get fill up, the speed could be less due to crosstalk. Virgin Media doesn't.

• adslmax

@k2150 They have, and some people (me included) are getting it for £28.50

• over 3 years ago

Mine is £23.50 for first 6 months then £28.50 for the remaining 6 months with a 12 months contract for 152/12 service. Good deal.

• adslmax
  • over 3 years ago

So when will we see BT launch a 120~160Mbps service?

• timmay
  • over 3 years ago

Not too bothered whether Virgin can truly deliver the quoted speeds for everyone or not. As long as it looks like they can to joe average deciding on his next broadband provider, it might prompt Sky into lowering their fibre prices. At least that's what, as a Sky customer, I'm hoping :).

• joe_pineapples

@joe_pineapples

Ditto. £35.40pm (inc phone that I don't use and is only needed to get BB) for 40Mbps is too much.

• timmay
  • over 3 years ago

just got upgraded but my area is March anyway!

• magicuk27
  • over 3 years ago

Just got upgrade from 60/3 to 152/12 for just £1 more than I'm paying, done immediately. Could have taken 100/6 for a £7 pm reduction. New 12-month contract in both cases. Excellent :-)

• mpellatt
  • over 3 years ago

Don't forget your speed tests to show the world that it is available

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 3 years ago

don't fret! Im doing computer android and Ios tests all the time :)

My result :)

• FirstNetServ2
  • over 3 years ago

if you geeks and torrenters want better upload speeds, go to a specialist provider!!! >:(
most of us are very happy just downloading... :)

• comnut

wish I could afford 150.... :(
but I should get 50M in a few months!!! :) :)

• comnut
  • over 3 years ago

sorry Andrew, but speedtest.net allows you to choose any server in the world to test the speed..

• comnut
  • over 3 years ago

@comnut yes but the TBB ISPA tester is just for that - so the odd test won't hurt you.

• over 3 years ago

And we know our server can cope with the new Virgin speeds and the results are used to help inform the UK broadband picture.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 3 years ago

from my experience it carnt cope. on your sites test its hard to get over 100Mbps but on almost every other EU based speed test ive been able to get almost full speed.

Could be a peering issue too maybe?

• FirstNetServ2
  • over 3 years ago

"it's hard to get over 100Mbps"

is it?

• over 3 years ago

Virgin media are pathetic, they dissolved my contract last month due to contention issues. I`m now on BT infinity 2 and will never look back. Virgin can keep there upload speed increase They have not been able to provide any decent service in my area for the last 3 years.

• noppix1

@pcoventry76

its probably different per location. but i stand by my statement.

• FirstNetServ2
  • over 3 years ago

Looking forward to this, I've been very happy with my VM connection. Although I am in a congested area so prime time speeds are slower.

But to be honest I don't expect 152Mbps at prime time. I've also got a Sky FTTC line, combined I'll have 200Mbps throughput!

• Dushyant

Dush Good idea! I'm getting another one put in to make mine 304/24

says it all here

"It will start rolling out the faster connectivity in March to "millions of customers", the ISP said, although it added that if you want your speed bumped, you'll have to get in touch and let it know."

Posted by pcoventry76 about 3 hours ago
Dush Good idea! I'm getting another one put in to make mine 304/24 (impossible boding together with virgin media)

• adslmax
  • over 3 years ago

They can't even provide the 120Mbits in my area for more than 18 months with no fix in sight, Why do they not focus on fixing the issues with over utilization that is effecting thousands in my local area over promising more than they can deliver.

• JonasT
  • over 3 years ago

Sorry for double post but check my 120 Mbit connection speed out now, at 11.40PM you would think the connection would have picked up some by now http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1393717145871759355

• JonasT
  • over 3 years ago

@adslmax, is it? ignition has in the past told me of a good bit of kit that does it. as have many others.

I've ordered the second line so we will see.

• over 3 years ago

What I don't understand is why the hell am I paying £39.25 for my Virgin 120/10 Broadband with 3 price increases over the past year and a half and others are mentioning prices of £37.50 and lower for the new 152Mbps.
That just ticks me off big time.
Makes me feel that Virgin only care about getting new business and screw existing customers who have been with them for years.

• markieb
  • over 3 years ago

have you rang up and asked? that's what we all did. You dont ask you don't get and VM have said if people want the new speed they are to ring and ask for it, which seems mad for a call centre.

• over 3 years ago

Last time I rang I was told they could do nothing about my price increase, but then tried to convince me that I could pay less for my broadband if I took a landline I'd never actually use. Of course with the cost of broadband and landline combined I'd be paying even more. Doesn't take a genius to figure out they were just trying to screw me again for even more money.
Granted that was end of last year, and my virgin panel says my area will only be available between June-August.
Is there any point trying now for a speed bump and price reduction?

• markieb
  • over 3 years ago

" Is there any point trying now for a speed bump and price reduction? "

Why not? my date says august - Jan (2015) and i called and got the update almost instantly and i was already paying next to nothing. Broadband only £23.50

• FirstNetServ2
  • over 3 years ago

I would go on as a new customer and if it offer you 152 then call up. 0845 454 1111 option 5 then 3 i think. They tried that with me, a landline. Mind you I am thinking about TV too but I still dont want something I wont use that's why im with VM

• over 3 years ago

The bad news is that Virgin Media will still throttle P2P and Newsgroups to 75% of line speed at peak times.

• OnFire
  • over 3 years ago

75% of 152Mbps is 114Mbps. FTTC still can't touch that speed. I think that's a reasonable compromise.

Multi-billion revenue corporations do not reward loyalty. They have no concept of morality. It's about negotiating, bargaining power and competitive constraint. Just call up and get a better price. If they don't give a good deal, move elsewhere.

• Dushyant
  • over 3 years ago

AIUI The P2P is not shaped by line speed but by capacity on the downstream group, with a maximum allocation of 25% of the downstream group shared between all customers so it can go well below 114Mbps and, indeed, with the current network the maximum shared between all P2P / NNTP users on a single network segment is ~100Mbps.

• Dixinormous
  • over 3 years ago

most people use port 443 and never get throttled. and this is true Dushyant but while that's spring them to give me what they do for the price they do I am all for it :)

• over 3 years ago

Nobody has mentioned the higher speeds will be tied to a new 12 month contract? At least that's what I was told.
I called to complain about the price hike, got my package re-vamped and a better price, I don't really need the faster speed but was sent a new contract and given to understand I'd need to start again if/when my speed increases.

• tmcr
  • over 3 years ago

I was not told of a new contract when i upgraded. I will see if one arrvies and if so that's fine.

• over 3 years ago

The gent who upgraded me has replied above as you can see, So if he sees this maybe he can clear this up once and for all.

• over 3 years ago

the speed limiting on NNTP works (unless VPN is active)its more likely virgin TM is based off IP address then what traffic is,
p2p rate liming i have found never works(have encryption set to enable) and slow speeds is due to the P2P swarm it self nor virgin(lack of peers)
i am not to bothered about upload speed as DOCSIS is not very upload friendly as at the local level can get congested very easy on upload (its annoying when tech support gives out free profile speed upgrade in a area that cant handle it and ends up trashing the network on that node)

• leexgx
  • over 3 years ago

Posted by pcoventry76 1 day ago @ ignition has in the past told me of a good bit of kit that does it. as have many others.

I've ordered the second line so we will see.

Madness but it your money, why not!

• adslmax
  • over 3 years ago

Well sorry but haven't you done the same? So clearly you embraced the madness too!

• over 3 years ago

pcoventry76, I would not to have 2 x virgin media cable in my property. What the point of that? One for FTTC and one for Cable is more than enough.

• adslmax
  • over 3 years ago

VM won't install 2 connections to the same property anyway so it's not really an issue.

Regardless for the general 'home' user there's little point in 2 Internet connections but each to their own.

• Dixinormous
  • over 3 years ago

so confirmation 10:1 ratio is all but abandoned on VM whilst FTTC is 4:1, and VM keep congesting their customers with the obsession of wanting highest marketed speeds.

• chrysalis
  • over 3 years ago

Can confirm it took about 5 minutes on the phone with the press 5-3 dept. and my line was upgraded immediately.
Had a price reduction too from £39.25 down to £33.50
Can't believe how painless the whole process was :)
Am really pretty chuffed.

• markieb
  • over 3 years ago

FTTC are 50:1 connection ratio the same as ADSL/ADSL2+. Business are 20:1 on FTTC.

• adslmax
  • over 3 years ago

@telford. I see no difference?

@Dixinormous your outdated information let you down. I've had 2 lines in one address before when I had lodgers. I've an order going through right now for one also

• over 3 years ago

@telford yes but for us who don't have the luxury of an FTTC line too then this is the alternative. and only alternative

• over 3 years ago

@adslmax: Where did you get that figure from? Last I heard contention ratios went out the window when 'max' connections came into play. I thought that these days CPs just measure performance and adjust route capacity as/when certain criteria are met.

You could calculate the effective ratio at any given time but I didn't think it was used as a target any longer.

• AndrueC
  • over 3 years ago

guys I was talking about download:upload ratio not contention ratio.

• chrysalis
  • over 3 years ago

called em now save £6 a month n now get 160 meg on speedtest.net and free superhub 2

• block860
  • over 3 years ago

As one of those who have upgraded, by request, I can only say that I have always been very happy with the VM product. I have never been traffic managed even when using P2P heavily. I get 160Mb/12.2Mb 24/7 with 9ms latency and jitter no higher than 1. The TV, especially with TIVO, is even better then Sky.
I just now downloaded a 1Gb test file in 51.5 seconds. I maxed out at 20MB sec.(160Mb)

Obviously I would like a faster upstream. I'm fully expecting 15Mb in the not very distant future. When we get over 200Mb download in due course, no doubt a proper 20Mb+ upstream will accompany it.

• roughbeast
  • over 3 years ago

virginmedia is awesome.. even av 4 mobile phones on contract, call em n u get the odd one not being very helpfull but call straight back n u will get someone awesome who helps all they can, bt workmen on my rd but i got a superhub 2 yesterday for free so im happy to stay n did not check bt prices(even though im back on 12 or 18 mth contrac again. 160 meg download with 12 meg upload yet i stil dont get host on ghost xbox live so i would prefer virgin to make gaming/latency better rather than more speed

• block860
  • over 3 years ago

My first call about 3 days ago was less than stellar. I got an unhelpful woman who would reduce my £39.50 for 120Mb down to £37.50, end of story. 152Mb wasn't even mentioned. In exasperation I eventually downgraded to 100Mb for £30 instead of taking the £2 pricecut to save some more money.

Today, after suffering awful contention since downgrading I phoned back up to cancel my downgrade using my 7 day cooling off period. Much better result! Very helpful woman who, pretty much unprompted, said "oh we can do much better than £37.50 for 120, we can do you 152Mb for £34". woo!

• celsworth
  • over 3 years ago

I called up yesterday as I only had my 30Mbs connection activated on 1st March but was told my upgrade to 50Mbs will have to wait till...erm 6 to 12 months time. Yeah, they just had to flick a switch but they won't do it because I was 1 week early signing up.

• Ultraman1966