TalkTalk Essentials TV now available to order
TalkTalk is expanding its product range and has now added a new entry level service called Essentials TV at £7.50 per month which gives you unlimited ADSL2+ broadband with a basic YouView box and also adds evening and weekend calls on top of their cheapest service which is SimplyBroadband.
- ASDL2+ broadband with unlimited usage on exchanges where TalkTalk LLU available (96% UK households)
- 18 month contract, 24 months for existing Essentials customers who upgrade
- Calls bundle of evening and weekend calls to UK landlines
- Free YouView box (RRP £149), this box can only pause and rewind live TV for 30 minutes, i.e. is not a full PVR like the PlusTV service.
- 7-day catch up TV
- Access to the Freeview channel line-up via the TV aerial
- Access to full range of TV boosts e.g. Sky Movies, Sky Sports
- Catch-up TV requires broadband speed of 3 Mbps or faster
- Boosts require a broadband speed of 5 Mbps or faster
- Free engineer installation of YouView box via a welcome credit
- Optional Powerline adapters from £35 for connecting YouView to broadband
- Voice line rental is required at £15.40 per month, or £126 if paid annually
- HomeSafe network based parental controls, to ensure all devices are filtered in the home
The existing PlusTV service has been proving popular probably because Freeview HD PVR boxes are still relatively expensive to buy outright. In effect TalkTalk is sitting in the market segment where in the 1970's people rented their colour TV due to the high purchase price. While many will be put off by the lack of functionality like series record, and being able to record one show while watching a second on Essentials TV, the ease of access to the catch-up TV element largely negates this.