Broadband News

Superfast Surrey updates maps as first phase starts to deliver

The project to improve broadband speeds across Surrey is underway, and the first phase delivering improved services around Redhill has delivered meaning some 15,000 homes can benefit from access to a better broadband service.

The Superfast Surrey website has also had a makeover, with a new postcode check map that shows the postcodes in the intervention area and the approximate date for when the improved service is expected to be available.

The current stated target is for the project to end in 2014 with some 80,000 premises getting access to a broadband speed of 15 Mbps or faster. It is not clear if this is a revised total for the number of properties as 90,000 was previously mentioned at the contract signing. The low sounding figure of 15 Mbps hides the fact that many thousands will get significantly faster speeds, if they upgrade to the more expensive and faster products.

We will continue to track the speeds across Surrey and the rest of the UK, but looking at the results for the County we currently see 10% of speed tests at 2 Mbps or slower, and a median download speed of 12.1 Mbps (postcodes that are in the London Boroughs of Croydon (15.3 Mbps), Kingston (15.2 Mbps) and Sutton (17.9 Mbps) are not included in these figures. As the project progresses we should see the first figure decrease and the second increase hopefully.

Comments

It is all very confusing to me! Surrey are 'failing' to achieve HSB with their roll-out (sub 24mb). I believe their roll-out was NOT under the BDUK scheme but DID involve state aid. How can this use of state aid for a 'failed' delivery be legal within EU broadband guidelines?

• mikejp
  • over 4 years ago

How are they failing?

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 4 years ago

"How are they failing?" Are they not "failing' to achieve HSB"? I am obviously more confused than I thought. I understood HMG and the EU wanted a better speed than ADSL2+? perhaps you have another definition of HSB?

"Perhaps they are offering more realistic figures, so that the 10% at more than 1km from cabinet are not upset." Stop it, my ribs are hurting............

• mikejp
  • over 4 years ago

HSB - I presume you mean High Speed Broadband, which is a means nothing phrase.

Superfast broadband has a different meaning, and if Surrey gets 97% coverage of high speed broadband I have no doubt that 90% or more will have actual superfast broadband speeds.

Be interested to see what speed others think the project is going to deliver.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 4 years ago

"High Speed Broadband, which is a means nothing phrase" - to you? This from BDUk
"As part of our ambition to to achieve a transformation in broadband in the UK by 2015, government has allocated £530 million during the current spending review period to stimulate commercial investment to roll out high-speed broadband in rural communities." Shall you tell them?

I do agree, however, that as Peter Cochrane said 'Superslow broadband' is a better nomenclature.

• mikejp
  • over 4 years ago

Which is then later qualified with

"Our ambition is to provide superfast broadband to at least 90% of premises in the UK and to provide universal access to standard broadband with a speed of at least 2Mbps."

Still carries very little meaning unlike superfast which is used by DCMS and the EU.

Also if the £530m is for rural areas why are some towns getting help?

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 4 years ago

Sorry, I don't have D C's phone number and Jeremy is off messing up health, so I don't know. Try Vaizey?

"Still carries very little meaning unlike superfast which is used by DCMS and the EU" - with different definitions, of course.

• mikejp
  • over 4 years ago

Actually the difference is pretty simple and you just check with the country, general guideline if there is ERDF funding they will be using 30 Mbps definition. The 'just tick boxes' councils will say 24 Mbps.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 4 years ago

This is getting silly! Does this interpretation mean that projects such as that in Cornwall, which has ERDF, will have to provide a minimum of 30Mbps while those without ERDF will only have to provide 24Mbps? No need to answer, because based on the Surrey County Council's announcements the new minimum is defined as 15Mbps and their previous statements where superfast was defined as greater than 24Mbps have been erased from their Website.

• cooperfarncombe
  • over 4 years ago

Is it not obvious its all a disaster darling and vdsl2 funded by councils is a slower version of the commercial rollout.

Reality is that it will depend on YOUR distance to the cabinet

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 4 years ago

So, Andrew, to avoid our having to do a 'Pedant's Waltz' around the stage while avoiding the issue, I will use SFB now instead of HSB.

So, back to my query, (NB referring to EU state aid requirements for SFB)
"How can this use of state aid for a 'failed' delivery be legal within EU broadband guidelines?"

You say "The 'just tick boxes' councils will say 24 Mbps." - where does Surrey fit?

• mikejp

Take a look at a lengthy blog article that shows where this 15 Meg comes from

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff

Is there a link please?

• mikejp
  • over 4 years ago

The big yellow one on main page

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 4 years ago

Read that one a while back, but it doesn't dictate that 15mb is the minimum speed. It actually says 30mb PLUS. The 15 is only the 'long-stop' for 90% of the time AT PEAK TIME, and not an EU target speed. HOWEVER I do get the impression that we are being sleep-walked into "If people can get a 15mb minimum connection speed it is a job well done". I wonder which 'good day to release bad news' Vaizey will pick? Surrey have already done that.

• mikejp

"Posted by andrew ( staff member) 1 day ago
... vdsl2 funded by councils is a slower version of the commercial rollout."

Please clarify your meaning here? AFAIK the council funded FTTC is identical to BT funded FTTC, but SCC have also committed extra cash to the intervention areas. Lots more independent info on the SCC project at http://www.ewhurst-broadband.org.uk/?cat=13

• davidnye
  • over 4 years ago

The preceding words 'disaster darling' borrowed from Strictly Come Dancing were meant to emphasis the joke nature. VDSL2 performs the same, just some areas (not all) in intervention may have a higher proportion of long lines.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 4 years ago

With the Surrey announcement of 99.7% fibre based coverage the other speeds been bandied around are no surprise at all.

On intervention areas, areas should not be defined by exchange or even cabinet, but by postcode.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 4 years ago

State Aid is allowed not only for NGA speeds but also for substantial speed increases elsewhere.

• herdwick
  • over 4 years ago

Exactly, like raising it to 2mb.

• mikejp
  • over 4 years ago

Old thread but my superfastsurrey.
Don't get too excited about est. dates
After no chance from BT, SS to my amazement showed my postcode End Mar 14 in fact before most other codes in my area. I knew cable was laid months ago. Checked the other day & now End 14, not just a small delay. Exchange seems still due for FTTC in March but not my cabinet. Annoying if in my area & doing the work but skip my cabinet, if 99.7% of surrey to be done why not now? power there, cable there, quite a few houses & a few businesses. 500m from A287 so hardly in sticks.
prob. run out of money & never get done.

• bignose2
  • over 3 years ago

I agree don't get excited by the dates on SS. My exchange is LSWEY already FTTC enabled however my property along with another 100 or so are on EO lines (Exchange only) the original estimate was "We will be getting you access Mar 14" and this is now changed to "Anticipated Access End of 2014" which basically means if they have not run out of money. Which of course they will have.

• colbird12