EE with 4G in 95 towns and cities covers almost 60% of people
Another set of results, this time from EE who are currently the only 4G mobile network in the UK, and with the service available in just 95 towns and cities is already apparently covering 60% of the UK population. The double speed version of 4G is available in a subset of 15 cities with tested download speed averages of 24 to 30 Mbps compared to the 12 to 15 Mbps of standard 4G.
Of course EE is not just a mobile provider, they have a fixed line broadband product, and the customer base has risen by some 10,000 connections in the quarter to 704,000 which will be a welcome boost. Alas no data on the take-up of the FTTC (fibre) product range, given they quote data for dial-up customers (5,000) there is a chance that the customer base might be even smaller than that if not bothering to mention it to their financial investors.
In theory with EE saying they are on course to hit 98% coverage with 4G by 2014, there is obviously a lot of work as only five more months left to enable 4G at lots of locations, or has someone missed the words 'end of' in the release.
The 98% coverage level matches their current 3G levels, with 2G extending to 99%. If 4G really becomes available to 98% of the population, then the 2 Mbps Universal Service Commitment is simple, give out free 4G dongles, and save the rest of the money for the other 2%. We suspect alas that reality will not be this straightforward.