Broadband News

Partnership to increase superfast availability in Coventry, Solihull and Warwickshire

A partnership of eight local authorities operating under the group name of CSW Broadband has signed its BDUK deal with BT at Warwick's historic Lord Lycester Hospital which should result in better broadband for the people of Coventry, Solihill and Warwickshire.

The deal comprises £5.67m from BT, £4.45m from the central BDUK fund, £3m from Warwickshire and the remaining funds (£1.45m) from the other local authorities. The eventual aim is that the project will extend superfast coverage from the current commercial levels to some 91% of homes and businesses. The end result is that 40,000 premises should benefit from a service that is faster than 24 Mbps, with those in the remaining 9% receiving at least a 2 Mbps service in 2015.

"This is a major landmark in securing the future competitiveness of our area. We have been working for a long time to get to this stage and, thanks to the information provided to the team by our local broadband champions and by residents and communities we have been able to negotiate the best possible deal.

Good broadband connections are essential to modern life, whether for work, leisure or learning. Our rural businesses need broadband to be able to compete in today’s increasingly global environment, and in a rural area like Warwickshire travelling can often be difficult, so that being able to work or learn from home can make a real difference to the quality of peoples’ lives."

Warwickshire County Council’s Deputy Leader, Cllr Alan Cockburn

The CSW Broadband website has a whats happening section that should help to update people in the area as to when to expect improvements, though this is still to update to reflect the signing of the contract.


So BT, the only company allowed to quote, in this impartial and competitive tendering process get its hands on more free tax payers money. Given I have seen them quote £4 per meter for 50 p/meter cable when quoting I wonder what the actual cost of this instal really is?

  • litesp33d
  • over 7 years ago

Considering they've just signed the contract, the details that are part of the initial announcement are pretty good - on the CSW website in the article.

It includes maps of the areas expected to be included in the rollout, and bar-graphs of the expected breakdown in each district.

  • WWWombat
  • over 7 years ago

At the end of the day, if BT is charging eight times as much, then surely competing companies would be rolling out the 50p cables for 75p and making a handsome profit by getting all the business.

Or are things not that simple?

  • andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 7 years ago

BT weren't the only company allowed to quote

  • GMAN99
  • over 7 years ago

When are idiotic posts like the first one going to stop?

Any Tom, Dick or Fujitsu could have tendered for this money - no-one else did. Do you have a method of FORCING other telecomms providers to bid? If not either grow up or shut up.

  • PhilCoates
  • over 7 years ago

@PhilCoates - it isn't that simple either. Only certain companies could get into the EU bidding process due to the size of the project (requiring minimum levels of turnover) so many companies could never have got on the framework.
Of the 2 that are on the framework though it is Fujitsu's choice to no longer bid for any of these projects - that is there decision but leaves us with just BT left - not BTs fault.

  • ian72
  • over 7 years ago

The aim here is getting affordable broadband to all the people who will benefit from BDUK, in a form that wholesales well, and retail ISPs will *want* to make use of.

That requires a certain scale - it needs a company wanting to be a national player, someone capable of winning dozens of counties, not just one or two.

Fail to do that, and they've just re-created the eighties - cable companies with regional franchises, and no ability to afford the rollout and keep afloat.

Deliberate policy, I bet, aimed at one or two new entrants only.

  • WWWombat
  • over 7 years ago

BDUK 2, for the last 10%, will be different, if it happens.

In that arena, a lack of wholesale competition might be acceptable, and higher prices might be acceptable, so small regionally-focussed companies may get a look-in.

Consider it like "market 1" today, where charges are higher because there is no competition, and there is a lot of costs & expenses.

  • WWWombat
  • over 7 years ago

Not sure I'd want to be limited to one or a few ISPs and pay more for the privilege if I lived in the "final 10%". I'd want the same options as everyone else, preferably at the same price, especially if the build was subsidised by the taxpayer.

Why not just extend the existing BDUK contracts, avoid the cost of a further round of tenders etc?

  • New_Londoner
  • over 7 years ago

Post a comment

Login Register