Connecting Cheshire to push fibre to 96 percent of premises in County
The four councils Cheshire East Council, Cheshire West and Chester Council, Halton Borough Council and Warrington Borough Council and BT have now signed a contract with a total value of £28.5 million to increase the number of homes and businesses that will have access to super fast broadband.
The project goal should mean that 96% of premises will have access to a fibre based service, with the remaining 4% seeing speeds that should be at worst 2 Mbps and for most something faster. The standard technology split is the normal mainly FTTC roll-out, some areas with native FTTP and of course fibre on demand.
"Cheshire has a large number of small and medium sized enterprises and a high volume of business start-ups, which collectively contribute a substantial proportion of the regional economy. The rollout of more fibre broadband will act as a powerful economic driver for these businesses.
Ensuring enhanced connectivity is vital to secure future growth; exploiting the strategic benefits of high-speed broadband across Cheshire, Halton and Warrington will deliver huge returns on investment. It is no longer enough to be connected, it must be fast, reliable and affordable to fully realise the county’s potential."Bill Murphy, Managing Director, BT Next Generation Access
The intervention area is such that around 80,000 homes and businesses should benefit by the end of 2016. The split of money in the project is made up of £1.85m from The Connecting Cheshire Partnership, £4m from BDUK, £13.6m from European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) and £9 million from BT itself.