Broadband News

BT Yahoo! accounts will start to expire after 150 days

If you are a BT Total or BT Infinity customer and only use the free Yahoo! email account rarely then it is time to sit up and take notice, particularly if the Yahoo! address is the one BT use for communications.

While most people check email everyday, with the number of accounts people acquire over the years it is possible that some people only check certain accounts once or twice a year, and it seems BT Yahoo! Mail is implementing a new a clean up so that accounts that have not been accessed for 150 days will be vapourised.

To keep an account active you need to access it at least once every 150 days via one of the following methods:

• Log in and use web mail via bt.yahoo.com
  • Log in and check email via a IMAP/POP3/SMTP email client on computer or phone
  • Have auto forwarding configured on the account

The clock started ticking on 18th January 2013, so the first inactive accounts will be deleted on/after 17th June. For those worried about others subsequently re-using an email identity once the account has been deleted that email address will not be given out to anyone else.

So if you have signed up to various other online services using your BT Yahoo! email address years ago, but have stopped using the address apart from when resetting passwords to access sites, and you don't intend to make more use of the BT Yahoo! mail, then we would suggest changing registration details before its too late.

As for why BT Yahoo! mail is implementing this policy, we can only assume its part of a cost reduction exercise. It seems unlikely (but it is possible) that this is linked to the ongoing complaints from people that their Yahoo! account has been hacked, and in some cases people are adamant they have not received or clicked on any links from rogue e-mail or websites.

Comments

The BT Yahoo email address is also the same login credentials you need to use if you want to use your own router on BT Broadband or infinty.

Possibly why they cannot re-allocate it as it would then possibly cause a clash on the system.

I put an auto forward on mine as soon as I got it as I never use it anyways.

• undecidedadrian
  • over 4 years ago

I recently took Infinity, but have never logged in to BT Yahoo mail. But isn't this my @btinternet.com address? I do use that to log in to wifi hotspots, so will that stop working after 150 days? I certainly have no use for an email address provided by my ISP - why does anyone tie themselves in like that?

• jrawle
  • over 4 years ago

Yes that is the one. Just log into that and put an auto forward onto it and then the mailbox will be safe.

• undecidedadrian
  • over 4 years ago

you can use [email protected] on your own router, including the homehub@ address

• herdwick
  • over 4 years ago

I have found using the Homehub or random seems to mean logging onto the network takes a whole lot longer than using the correct details.

• undecidedadrian
  • over 4 years ago

Might make more sense if they let you opt out of opening a yahoo email account to begin with. Never wanted mine and as I recall it was enforced by BT. Only use mine has had was to check privacy options and ensure I hadn't been signed up to anything else.

• fibrebunny
  • over 4 years ago

I have an old @btinternet.com address from my dial up days. Keeping this account active has got easier. In the past I used to have to make regular dial up connections. Now it appears this is no longer necessary.

• Michael_Chare
  • over 4 years ago

If I were to change ISP to another company in th future would I be able to still use my BT Yahoo mail accounts

• stclares
  • over 4 years ago

@ stclares - I think BT have started charging people to use their email service when you jump ship; so I'd get yourself sorted with an email service that doesn't force you to us your ISP service as it will makes things far easier for the future.

• CaptainW
  • over 4 years ago

I am a little cunfused, I have 3 @btinternet.com addresses delivering to windows live mail.
I asked BT if I need to upgrade, BT replied:- "From the email sent to us regarding the updating to new btyahoo webmail,It is mandatory to update to new version whether you use windows mail on the bt yahoo mail."
Am I right in thinking I will lose my addresses if I don't "upgrade".

• spud3607
  • over 4 years ago

P.S. I don't have a program called "bt yahoo mail" on my computer.

• spud3607