Broadband News

Aberdeenshire Council sending out postcards to survey broadband

The postcard is possibly a dying art but Aberdeenshire Council is sending one to every address in the county as part of its survey work on the project run by the Scottish Goverment to improve broadband.

Postcards may have some laughing but when the area apparently has some 17% of properties with no broadband connection then to ensure everyone can reply who wants to, then a postcard seems more sensible.

The improvements mentioned in the Donside Piper article look lower than what was announced when the original plan for Scotland was announced, with 75% of premises getting at least 24 Mbps and a minimum of 2 Mbps to the remaining 25%. The original plan was for for 40 to 80 Mbps speeds to some 85% to 90% of premises. Though if Aberdeenshire Council does focus on ensuring that the 2 Mbps minimum speed is exceeded by a comfortable margin it could assuage those who have complained that the focus on top end speeds was neglecting those who would be relegated to a mere 2 Mbps.

The deadline to return the cards (postage free) is 28th February, so do make sure you return yours, and for those in the various not-spots and slow-spots making sure neighbours have also sent theirs back would be a good idea.

Comments

Any details on how the more rural lines will get 2 Meg?

A friend is on 1 Meg on an ADSL2+ line (router stats are commensurate with that), and I'm curious what options are available to him.

  • camieabz
  • over 4 years ago

Its an absolute sham!

You can tell from the information in the article that they are concentrating on "the western boundary of Aberdeen and Westhill", probably other industrial areas and bigger rural communities (such as Peterhead etc.).

For the rest of us with slow/no broadband, this is just an exercise to keep us quiet in the hope that something will come out of all these postcards, it won't. They will use the returned information to re-affirm their plans to only optic-up specific high population/high business areas and the rest of us will just be forgotten about as already happens.

  • BorisBlank
  • over 4 years ago

@BorisBlank if you believe they have decided, then make sure even more returns of cards occur in the other areas

  • andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 4 years ago

@camieabz beyond the obvious satellite/fixed wireless options, ADSL regenerators, e.g. if sat in the middle of a 11km line can take you from 0.2 Meg to 2 to 3 Meg.

  • andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 4 years ago

Are ADSL regenerators expensive? 0.2 - 3.0 seems to be a reasonable jump.

  • broadband66
  • over 4 years ago

http://www.strowger.com/dslam-regenerator.html

$920 covers 4 customers, so allowing for UK exchange rate... hardware cost £920 covers 4 customers.
I would expect OR to be using something similar.

  • themanstan
  • over 4 years ago

Well, still no Postcard received from the Council and the deadline for submission is fast approaching.

There is no way this was ever going to be a fair exercise and the lack of any Postcards for making our voices heard just backs up that this is a sham.

Shame on you Aberdeenshire Council!!

  • BorisBlank
  • over 4 years ago

Post a comment

Login Register