Broadband News

Busy day as BT signs contract with Suffolk County Council

With no less than six MPs in attendance the contract between BT and Suffolk County Council was signed to improve broadband across the county. The choice of BT has been known for some months, and is one of the more ambitious coverage targets with the slowest 2% of properties expected to be able to connect at 2 to 5 Mbps, and 85% connecting at 24 Mbps or faster.

"When we launched the Better Broadband for Suffolk campaign, we wanted to ensure that everyone who lives and works in our county benefits. Today I’m proud to say that, with BT, we aim to deliver exactly that.

Improving access to broadband is going to help Suffolk’s economy grow by as much as 20% and create up to 5000 new jobs. There’s a digital divide between Suffolk and the rest of the country but an even more acute disparity between urban and rural Suffolk. The Better Broadband programme is going to close those gaps, boost school attainment and help the public sector to deliver services more efficiently and cheaply.

I’m delighted that we’ve come such a long way in such a short space of time. In the new year, the first properties are going to start benefiting from the programme and within three years, broadband access across Suffolk is going to be unrecognisable from what it is today.

Councillor Mark Bee, Suffolk County Council’s leader and chair of the Better Broadband for Suffolk

The project should benefit some 39% of Suffolk which means 134,500 properties and while not everyone is going to get the fastest speeds it should eliminate the broadband not-spots and provide a foundation for further work after 2015 to bring the county in line with the EU Digital Agenda 2020 target of all properties having access to a 30 Mbps or faster service.


Can we now get some movement from the sea of NC icons on the openreach exchange maps please.

If you look at the maps of Suffolk, what you can see is that BT haven't done any rollout here since these plans were launched.

One can't help feeling that the delay is purely to get state money.

  • ChrisRedpath
  • over 7 years ago

Status at exchange level as of today.

List does not include LIVE exchanges

Name Available

ST. FAITH Mar-13

DRAYTON Calendar Year 2013
HOLT Calendar Year 2013
NORWICH NORTH Calendar Year 2013

  • Bob_s2
  • over 7 years ago

'Haven't done any' may be a bit strong. If you look at the maps at suffolk cc, you can see the picture.
is the parts BT have no plans for.

  • ChrisRedpath
  • over 7 years ago

Another massive ripoff coming up only 39% of Suffolk, put that the other way round, = only 61% of Suffolk wont get faster speeds!
Sounds more like private sector ripping the public purse a new one to get the rest up to speed?
What the County Council should have done is let the public see what is being proposed over a county map then decide if its good value for money?

  • Saurus
  • over 7 years ago


think you mis read it

Only 2% of the hardest to reach premises are expected to have speeds less than 5Mbps.all others shoud be above 24' i think

  • fastman
  • over 7 years ago

No doubt Ipswich, Lowestoft (and perhaps Bury) will get superfast broadband whilst the rest (61%) of Suffolk will remain at or about 2Mbps. How is this closing the gap?

  • les_weeks
  • over 7 years ago

The public doc from suffolk CC says
"Our plan assumes a predominantly fibre-based solution (a mix of fibre-to-the-premises (FTTP) and fibre-to-the cabinet (FTTC)) to 85-90% of premises by 2015, with interim solutions (mostly Fixed Wireless Broadband (FWB), but also some Satellite Broadband) serving the remaining 10-15% of premises also by 2015."

Fingers crossed, eh?

  • ChrisRedpath
  • over 7 years ago

If you visit Suffolk CC, you can see the basic and next-gen areas as of July 2012.

  • ChrisRedpath
  • over 7 years ago

Post a comment

Login Register