Broadband News

Soft shoe shuffle needed for BT cabinet in South Wales

With a bill in the planning stages that will remove some of the red tape around telecoms infrastructure, a reminder of the problems that arise even with current rules in place arrives from South Wales.

It appears a couple noticed some work being carried out on the street outside their property, and thought nothing more of the comment about it being underground cabling work, to come home and find an FTTC cabinet on the other side of their garden wall in the street.

Obviously among the majority of our readers there would be a shriek of joy, but it seems this couple are now objecting to the location of the cabinet, wanting it located away from properties like others are in the area.

The cabinet in question is actually one of the smaller FTTC designs, but it appears BT is looking to now re-locate the cabinet according to the newspaper article.

Comments

if it's going spare, bt please feel free to stick it outside my house in fact you can put it in my garden!! :)

• Borisvon
  • over 4 years ago

Classic NIMBY comment, I think!

From the news article I expected a wonderful mansion with a great view spoilt by a carbuncle - I think the CAB is better than the home! As to the comment in the newspaper about it detracting from the value - I don't think so!!!!!!!!!!!

• greenglide
  • over 4 years ago

I would like to challenge the estate agent and the couple on the possible negative effect of the house price once they are able to get FTTC then FTTP. My guess, the inner M25 Nimbyism is spreading quicker than Openreach can install a cabinet.

• NilSatisOptimum
  • over 4 years ago

House price would be even better with FTTC and no box right outside, which is what all their neighbours will enjoy.

Always funny reading comments on here. Seems most people have never owned their own home, and probably spend all day with their curtains closed playing games online. Who cares about house prices or a nice view?

• jrawle
  • over 4 years ago

jrawle, how is their view spoilt? It sits behind their wall

• GMAN99
  • over 4 years ago

Their front wall is higher then the cabinate! no way can it be seen from within the property (which from the looks of things is a 1960's council house.

Can't see why Openreach should consider any part of their complaint.

• Spectre_01
  • over 4 years ago

I think it's more of that anyone could hop over that box and then over their wall...

• hypertony
  • over 4 years ago

Google map: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=51.638311,-3.820795&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=0&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=51.638319,-3.820846&spn=0.000423,0.001321&z=20&iwloc=A

• Spectre_01
  • over 4 years ago

@ hypertony - property isn't gated anyway.

• Spectre_01
  • over 4 years ago

In the past I've defended people trying to protect their environment but on the face of it this seems silly. The cabinet is below the height of the wall so how can they see it? Although it's subjective I'd also suggest that a green cabinet is not going to impact the aesthetics significantly.

As for the estate agent - they must be daft. A cabinet that close will /increase/ the value of the home.

• AndrueC
  • over 4 years ago

Thanks for the link Spectre, you wouldn't even be able to see it from the bedroom window!

• GMAN99
  • over 4 years ago

I had assumed their home was on the opposite side of the road and they had to look out on it. But reading it again, it seems it's behind their wall so they won't see it. From Google Maps it also seems they recently replaced a tasteful stone wall with a red brick one that doesn't fit in, so perhaps they are not the best people to criticise others for spoiling the street scene.

• jrawle
  • over 4 years ago

The position of it both prevents maintainance of the retaing wall and also block access to a proposed car hardstanding for which permission has been granted by the local council

• Bob_s2
  • over 4 years ago

@bob_s2 So where is this planning application?

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 4 years ago

it's strange that BT/Electric board also seem to have chosen to site a Pole in their front garden too, the reporters angled shot seemed to have missed this point http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Shelone+Road&sugexp=chrome,mod%3D4&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl

• alex250

• alex250
  • over 4 years ago

FTTH shouldn't cost too much on this one then.

• DJBlu2003
  • over 4 years ago

If you gave some people £1000 cash they'd complain the notes are dirty.

• tarsins
  • over 4 years ago

@ Alex, the pole belongs to the Leccy board, and only appears to supply power to that 1 customer who's garden it is sited on so in that case it would have been sited there at their premission.

BT/GPO have later tagged their overhead drop cables on the same pole after it was placed there which was the agreement between them at the time. I'd suggest that the land owner might be able to have the pole removed, it would come at the cost of having their electric supply ceased.

• Spectre_01
  • over 4 years ago

What a joke, it's almost laughable.

The property is fresh out of the 1960's... and they have a red brick wall. Hardly a prestigious neighbourhood with pretty scenery.

I'd tell them to stuff it...

• mabibby
  • over 4 years ago

There is a green plastic box already sited in their garden that can be clearly seen from the property unlike the better quality one provided by BT for the benefit of local residents who want to enjoy fast broadband.
Pathetic complaint - BT should ignore it.

• MauriceJ
  • over 4 years ago

Personally I would love BT to stick one of those behind my hedge or wall if I had one, and yes I do own my home. As it is mine has just gone in approx 250 metres away & am waiting for it to be connected. What estate agent did they ask maybe one dreamed up by the reporter the house price should go up and as stated in a previous comment fibre to the home should not cost much if they ever felt the need.

• TAZZ69
  • over 4 years ago

Thank goodness the cabinet wasn't any taller, it might have ruined the view of the train tracks!

• dajfielu