Broadband News

West Sussex broadband project plods on

The transition to the State Aid Public Consultation phase for a BDUK project is hardly one to crack open the champagne over, but it does mean the West Sussex is at least moving forward.

The consultation runs until 2nd December 2012 and is a chance for individuals, community projects and commercial operators to ensure that their plans are known about and thus avoid over build and wasting BDUK funding on areas where people already have a choice of a basic (2 Mbps or better) service or access to superfast broadband.

The previous Open Market Review received responses from Avonline plc, BT Openreach, Datanet, ETDE Infrastructure Limited, Highpoint Infrastructure, Inkspot Wifi, Kijoma Solutions Limited MDNX, MLL Telecom, Tarium / Satellite Solutions, TES Limited, thinkbroadband.com, UK Broadband, Virgin Media and Zoom Broadband Limited. This information has allowed the council to create maps so people can see how they stand with regards to faster services, the number summary with regards to superfast broadband is as follows:

District Total Premises NGA White Premises (*)
Adur & Worthing 78,691 1,862
Arun 74,045 15,288
Chichester 57,232 24,979
Crawley Borough 45,490 1,513
Horsham 59,343 19,244
Mid Sussex 61,702 13,831
Totals 376,503 76,717

(*) NGA White refers to premises where there is no superfast broadband now and no plans to deploy by commercial operators in the next three years.

If you live in West Sussex, then it is important that you check the classification for your area, and highlight any corrections/omissions as the final coverage information will be used to drive forward the deployment plans once the project starts to deliver a service via its chosen partner.

Comments

I run a business in West Sussex that is located in the NGA white area. West Sussex CC have been incredibly slow to act on improving my broadband service. It is good news that they have finally acknowledged that we have cr*p broadband however with only about £160 per household to spend I am not expecting any improvement any time soon. Meanwhile I am spending £60 per month for a bonded line and just getting 2 Meg.

• chilting
  • over 5 years ago

We're supposed to be getting fibre at the end of the year, so I hope this sort of thing doesn't delay it.

• MrTAToad2
  • over 5 years ago

This project should make no difference to the commercial rollout that Openreach is undertaking

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 5 years ago

Good use of the word 'should' there Andrew.

What kind of company would plan cabinets and take on the financial risk when there's the prospect of getting some taxpayers' money, if not to enable those specific cabinets to get some clearing of ducts and other civils work paid to reduce costs of other cabinets?

This whole programme is an opaque mess, any company would use that to the fullest advantage.

• Dixinormous
  • over 5 years ago

dixi thats why OMR done -- only areas outside of commercial deployment are white -- for state aid rules you have to provide why its white and why you are not deploying there (you have to be able to prove your rationale and decision proces as part of receiving the funds

• fastman
  • over 5 years ago

dix this is to stop exactly what you have identified

• fastman
  • over 5 years ago

I live on a 10 year old estate of privately owned houses (approx 210 properties) is the only area of my town to not see a fibre upgrade. Yet on the outskirts of town we get the lowest sync speeds and barely manage 3Mb. Yet 300m south in the most deprived council estate in the area they are already live. But as we are on an exchange that's had 33/34 cabs upgraded so are listed as a grey area and get no help.

• pete_thomson

@pete_thomson

In theory should only be grey if a firm has said they are or will be providing service. So time to chase council, and question whether this is the case.

Grey/white/black should not be done on just exchange areas, even postcode level has its flaws.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff

Thanks Andrew,

It's confusing as the Dec 2011 says our cab will be upgraded, but Openreach have said it's not financially viable to upgrade due to the cost of connecting the DSLAM cab back to the network. I had hoped this would have helped but reading the docs looked like it would not. I'll get in touch with them via email.

• pete_thomson
  • over 5 years ago

Will be interesting to see how much of the area has been fibred at the end of the year (or early next year).

• MrTAToad2
  • over 5 years ago

pete_thomson - if your LA has done its job properly - as per BDUK guidelines - as Andrew says, the black/white/grey delineation should be available to you at postcode level. Your LA is required under the BDUK framework to publish this detail in a 'Public Consultation' document for all and BT should have supplied postcode based data. If the situation you describe crosses postcode boundaries, you are *******, however. Time to ask questions of your LA?

• mikejp
  • over 5 years ago

12 days on and not even an acknowledgement (automated or otherwise) to my email.

I don't hold out much hope there.

• pete_thomson
  • over 5 years ago

I stand corrected - I have received a response from them saying they are stuggling to get a straight answer on what is the problem from BT (I assume they mean Openreach) and that they are continuing to chase them for one

• pete_thomson
  • over 5 years ago

Well good news, kinda, Openreach have responded back to to the LA saying that they have reinserted our cab back into the rollout. They had no dates to offer me, but I'll go back to my Openreach contact and see if they can offer me anything.

• pete_thomson