Suffering an Exchange Only line, there is some hope
We covered developments for Exchange Only lines back in June, when Openreach indicated that the most likely solutions for these lines would be a FTTC or FTTP solution. A meeting in North Yorkshire for the BDUK/Local Authority project has revealed some more detail.
As things stand in North Yorkshire the estimate of what they hope to deliver, and it must be emphasised that this is before detailed planning has taken place is that 80% of the EO lines will be served by a hybrid cabinet to provide a FTTC service and the remaining 20% would receive FTTP. No indications of the areas that will get the pure FTTP service as yet. The hybrid cabinets have been trialled in Steanalees, Cornwall, whether a similar split is possible in other counties will only be known as plans are announced.
For those not aware of what an Exchange Only line (EO line) is, it is a telephone line that goes directly to the telephone exchange without using a traditional green street cabinet at all. The reasons for lines like this are many, some are close to the exchange and some are some miles away, with each exchange area having something like 5-10% of its lines served this way, providing service to these lines is crucial to meeting the 90% and higher targets some local authorities are setting.
Superfast North Yorkshire has a YouTube channel which has several videos from the meeting on 29th September. The North Yorkshire project is rare as they have gained EU State Aid Approval ahead of the other BDUK projects, by applying directly rather than via the BDUK umbrella scheme.