Broadband News

Telefonica UK broadband customers continue to leave

Telefónica has published its latest results, and buried amongst the various countries are the figures for O2, Be and O2 Wholesale. In terms of fixed line broadband customers the news is not good, as the quarter on quarter reduction in subscriptions continues, with just 602,000 customers now, a drop of 50,900 over the last 12 months, the growth in contract mobile customers where O2 has 11,413,500 contracts is much more positive.

O2 Wholesale is continuing to grow, with 34,100 subscriptions, a rise of 2,700 in the last quarter, showing that there are positive signs in the broadband market for O2.

The major glitch to the O2 mobile service on 11th July is acknowledged, but as it happened after this reporting period that runs to the end of June 2012, there are no indications of how this has affected the mobile operation subscriptions. There is an assurance that a change is underway to the software systems to reduce the risk of the same thing happening again.

Comments

I think the big thing here is lack of fibre and no definite date as to when it will be rolled out.Users are now jumping ship if fibre is available elsewhere,me included as of next week.

• rayvon
  • over 4 years ago

Well my exchange is now Fibre ready, but my line is Exchange only.

I have just joined Be, my activation date is the 31st and I've gone for a tope of the line package, but on a 3 month contract.

If I am able to get Fibre on my line, I'll be dropping BE and going to BT Infinity, but until that time, I'll take BE, 19 down and 2 up

• connormill
  • over 4 years ago

Mobile discount is the only reason to have their broadband.

• otester
  • over 4 years ago

do BE or O2 not offer FTTC yet

• leexgx
  • over 4 years ago

Lack of FTTC or even a definite date for FTTC is the reason I let Be a few months back. I hope when my minimum contract with BT is up that Be by then have FTTC as IME there backhaul is much less congested than BTs.

• robweeks
  • over 4 years ago

Agreed otester, once my contract is up next April (which should see our Chichester exchange FTTC active by then), that will pretty much be the only thing stopping me from jumping ship. I get a pretty damn good deal from O2 for mobile/bband/home phone and the d/l is 10ish and up is 2 which is fine by me. But video streaming services can be an arse though so fibre may or may not help. Tricky decision come April.

• big_bubbaloola
  • over 4 years ago

@robsweeks

Why didn't you go with Sky?

Shorter contract and better usage policy than Be*/O2, backhaul being equally good.

@big_bubbaloola

Basically what I said to robsweeks, go with Sky for FTTC, make sure you phone up so you can get the 80Mbps package (rumour is you can't get it online?).

• otester
  • over 4 years ago

I'm off to Sky Fibre as soon as I've decorated the living room (need master socket moving once I do).

Its a shame really as Be/O2 have a great network but just dont seem to have continued investment with it.

They are definatly poorer than they were a few years back, just by standing still.

Slim

• audioslim
  • over 4 years ago

I order sky Fiber today left o2 best they could offer me is 6 months free internet.

• brutos
  • over 4 years ago

Have left BE after 6 years. I required an additional static IP and they wanted to charge me another £10 / month. Thought I would get more for my £ and get 5 static IP and 60mbps download and 20mbps upload.
Currently with be only getting 5mbps dl and 1mbps ul.
Had to go with BT business fttc to get the static IP, costs twice as much as what was paying BE but getting more than 10x speed.

• BoBeB