Broadband News

Higher speed satellite services from Tooway Direct

Tooway Direct who sell a range of bi-directional satellite broadband connections running at up to 10 Mbps from the KA band satellites have now increased the maximum speed that can be purchased to 18 Mbps.

The Tooway 18 Max product will have a 6 Mbps upload in addition to its 18 Mbps download speed, and will include free hardware and connection. For those with smaller budgets, there is a new entry level product offering 2 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload for £17.99 a month (inc VAT). The old entry level product which was Tooway 6 is replaced by Tooway 8 (8Mbps down, 2 Mbps up) for £24.99 a month and an 8GB monthly data allowance.

Comments

2 problems with this, the one is the price the other being satellite is if it rains heavy then your broadband is gone unless they over come that.

but if that is all you can get and you got the money then I suppose it is a good thing,.

• zyborg47
  • over 5 years ago

As well as the price, there is the latency and the cripplingly low data limits.

Hope to goodness its not part of the solution here in rural Staffordshire 400 yards from a main road and our telephone pole!!

• PhilCoates
  • over 5 years ago

@zyborg47: What do you mean IF it rains :-)

• zhango
  • over 5 years ago

What's the price for the 18Mbps service?

• timmay
  • over 5 years ago

Sorry no price in the press release, and also their website is still showing their June pricing.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 5 years ago

The lowest tariff has 4GB allowance. The top tariff has 25GB, which they laughingly call "Very heavy usage". It seems that they are relying on the fact that for some people their service is all there is.

• offcs
  • over 5 years ago

@zhango, when I had sky a few years back, when ever it poured I lost the signal, i am not the only person it happens to. I wonder if it happens with satellite broadband, unless they got a larger dish

• zyborg47
  • over 5 years ago

Its usually down to the dish not being properly aligned. I only loose signal in thunderstorms.

• huwwatkins
  • over 5 years ago

Sky dishes are smaller so lose signal easier than the sat internet systems.

The install for sat internet should see it properly aligned, particularly as it is transmitting too.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 5 years ago

@zyborg47:It was a joke - with this summer, rain is guaranteed hence my question about 'IF' - I wasn't disagreeing. It prompted some good advice about alignment though.

• zhango
  • over 5 years ago

Tooway 18 Max is £99 for 50GB usage per month.

The website has now been updated

• timmay
  • over 5 years ago

as I've said before, satelite, too little bandwidth for too much cash, more than likely a piss poor ping, latency, and speed, no better than a 3g signal. waste of time,

• creakycopperline
  • over 5 years ago

The way I cured my satelite from failing in wet or snow was to place large plastic cup, split up the side, over the projection head to act as a shield. You must make sure that it does not obstruct the signal. I discoverd this cure when it was snowing; by simply wiping the snow or preventing rivulets of water from the projection head it works without interuption. Of course it helps if your dish is accessible form the ground. In my opinion all heads should be capped and shielded bt the makers.

• snosrapray