Broadband News

BT 110Mbps fibre broadband to 'early' launch at end of October

BT Openreach have today announced that their 110Mbps fibre-to-the-premises (FTTP) service is going into "early market deployment launch" on the 31st of October. This sees the product come out of trial and it will be available for purchase through all service providers, assuming they have a suitable GEA backhaul link. Whilst 110Mbps is the headline speed, there are several speed options that services providers may offer, including 40Mbps, 100Mbps and 110Mbps downstream. with options of 2Mbps, 10Mbps, 15Mbps and 30Mbps upstream. Only 6 areas are planned to be live on this date, and these include:

• Ashford (Middlesex)
  • Bradwell Abbey
  • Chester South
  • Highams Park
  • St Austell
  • York

The completion of the trial is good news as it means that we will finally see some progress in getting fibre broadband out to users in the UK, following limited deployments to date. The product is going live without a voice component- Fibre Voice Access is expected to early launch next year - but in the mean time, there is a discounted wholesale line rental (WLR) option for those taking the fibre product.

Openreach are taking tentative steps with this launch, and with it being an 'early deployment', they are not offering guaranteed service levels until there has been analysis of the service.

Comments

Nice upload, now the price.....

• GMAN99
  • over 6 years ago

FTTC isn't going to be good until we see LLU backhaul, until then it's BT Retail or £90 with a reseller for the unlimited option.

• otester
  • over 6 years ago

BTW FTTC*

• otester
  • over 6 years ago

Oh thats a painful blow below the belt right there. Here I am stuck at 5Mbps and now I read this article to find the exchange next to mine is getting 110Mbps FTTP ... ouch :(

• Firejack
  • over 6 years ago

St Austell?????? I presume a potting shed in the outer hebrides is next!!!

• sobranie
  • over 6 years ago

@Sobraine, that would be the EU Cornwall NGA project euros at work!

• themanstan
  • over 6 years ago

TalkTalk will be using its own backhaul.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 6 years ago

It would be nice if they got all the FTTC in first before introducing something higher, Only 3 miles from Central London and still waiting....

• The_Voyager
  • over 6 years ago

I wonder if Virgin will announce on the day BT go live that they are releasing 111MBit broadband? (or maybe more realistically 125 or 150Mbit broadband).

Rob

• EnglishRob
  • over 6 years ago

otester is right lets get more FTTC first. My exchange has been put back from Dec this year until June next - why? Be my current ISP has delayed their fibre product for God knows how long.
Wish I still lived in Highams Park!

• Scubaholic
  • over 6 years ago

:) can't please everyone. Why wait to bring out a faster service?

• GMAN99
  • over 6 years ago

Would be nice if they focused on getting all the ADSL/up to 8mb lines upgraded first. Feels like we falling more and more behind civilisation every time BT back an announcement

• Alchemyfire

make*

• Alchemyfire
  • over 6 years ago

You'd rather they focus on ADSL2+ than FTTC/P ?

• GMAN99
  • over 6 years ago

Not entirely. All the focus seems to be on FTTC/P in areas that already have ADSL2+. There just doesn't seem to be a balance. From what I've gathered, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that you can't have FTTC/P without 21NC. So get ADSL2+ right, then shift the emphasis on to FTTC/P

• Alchemyfire
  • over 6 years ago

Hasn't anyone heard of parallel progression of technologies and business? They are rolling out FTTC as primary tech, followed by FTTP second and are increasing the number of ADSL2+ enabled exchanges to 90% by early 2013.
And as for balance, that is a luxury of publically owned organisations. ROI is BTs principle concern, those exchanges not already on ADSL2+ are likely the most expensive to bring fibre to. And, why rightly (from a business perspective) will be some of the alst to be upgraded. [sic] Hambleton 250k for 140 people...

• themanstan
  • over 6 years ago

yoyager what exchare are you in -- souds like exchnage covered but not cab

• fastman
  • over 6 years ago

alchemyfire if you are in a Makrket 1 exchnage -- likely to need intervention suggest you make sure you parish / local council are aware of exchnage and include in broadband plan/ market test with operators to undersand Black / white Grey areas

• fastman
  • over 6 years ago

Been Chasing FTTC for 5 yrs. Sept 2010 my exchange went live.
My nearest cab(40mtrs) gets FTTC, but its not mine!
I chase BT, I get told NO FTTC no reason. But then (Trumpets!!!) FTTP will be coming my way, When ? The earliest they said Summer 2015!
So if BT is listening SITT Cab76, When will it be FTTC/P.
By the time I get it, It will be 10yrs. I would have moved by then!
What really upsets me and many other prospective users and customers is that BT won't/can't tell us a simple rollout schedule! No matter how many times I have written to their Director.
Jason, Very Upset of Sittingbourne

• Lockstock66
  • over 6 years ago

This is all well and good but perhaps BT could get their arse in gear and deploy FTTP/C to the remainder of the Bradwell Abbey exchange in Milton Keynes. Less than a third of the exchange area is covered by the FTTP trial with the remainder (tens of thousands of homes) left on sub 2mb ADSL with no word from BT on when or indeed if we will ever be upgraded to FTTP/C.

• Oldskoolraver
  • over 6 years ago

I was under the impression that the "110 Mbps" was merely to provide enough for overheads to be able to offer 100Mbps equivalent connection.

I'm not sure how meaningful a "110 Mbps" headline figure is other than as thingy waving and it looks like "super extreme faster-than-infinity fast broadband" is heading down the "how big does my megapixels look in this" approach to marketing.

• prlzx
  • over 6 years ago

Lockstokc you have to a released and stable product before it is rollled out

• fastman
  • over 6 years ago

Remember, OFCOM's regulatory role in this... they only allowed BT to enter the domestic fibre broadband market in mid-2008... long after everyone else in Europe had been doing so. BT is playing catch up, everyone wants there connection now or ASAP... but it will take many years to complete. Until OFCOM gave the go ahead, they weren't going to waste money on hardware and trials... in fact OFCOM would liklely have slapped them for doing so in advance of regulatory approval... so put the blame where it belongs UKgov and OFCOM.

• themanstan
  • over 6 years ago

Fastman, Yes I want a stable product.
You have to remember 90% of the Town has it.
Its to do with a rollout schedule that is reasonable and gives you some hope. I don't think no comms for 5yrs and then you can get it only to find out I can't. Then told 2015 ???
Imagine ordering anything else and waiting 10yrs for it!
I have been with BT for 30yrs as a customer.

• Lockstock66
  • over 6 years ago

Lockstock, FTTC pilot started in mid 2009.. so i make that 2 years since the product started.
But, the reality of the situation is this kind of infrastructure build takes a long time, over 10 years. France is way ahead of the UK and is only looking to have 60% of households FTTH/P by 2020. That'll still leave 40% on copper...

• themanstan
  • over 6 years ago

oldskool bradwell abbey is on this list

• fastman
  • over 6 years ago

funny, they only doing 110 to beat VM, why not gigabit what its capable off? or simple 100mbit. This proves if VM didnt have a 100mbit product then this product wouldnt even be laynched, it would probably be 60mbit instead.

• chrysalis
  • over 6 years ago

fastman - I know when mine (WRBRIX) is due it's March, just getting fed up of waiting, the initial date was Sep this year but it was put back

• The_Voyager

@AndrueC

It was just a generic example. Content follows infrastructural capabilities and cost, and vice versa. For instance, they could deliver high bit-rate 1080p content on a par with, or better than, blu-ray.

Concurrently being able to do such activities without appreciable slowdowns is attractive. Personally I'd value the extra upstream the most. The original point about bandwidth costs still apply presently, sadly.

• dustofnations
  • over 6 years ago

"why not gigabit" - it is, G-PON ie Gigabit split passively 8, 16, 32 or 64 ways

• herdwick