Broadband News

O2 shows static broadband numbers in last 12 months

The roller coaster of broadband customer numbers continues with Telefónica publishing its January to June 2011 results. Telefónica UK better known under the O2 and Be brands has continued to lose customers, March 2011 showed a dip of 2,400 broadband customers, and June 2011 saw this fall by another 16,300. Compared to twelve months ago this reflects a fairly flat change (0.4% increase) of 2,900 broadband customers at 652,900.

While broadband has been flat, fixed telephone lines are showing growth, adding some 115,000 lines in the last 12 months. The only reasons we can think for this shift in numbers is that O2 and Be customers may be moving onto the super-fast networks from Openreach and Virgin Media, or do not like the introduction of traffic mangement and limits that appeared in the last product refresh for O2. Be's ADSL2+ range is not traffic managed and offers unlimited usage.

Comments

Note:The traffic management only appeared on the O2 product. Be is still unlimited :)

• AndrueC
  • over 6 years ago

I knew that, have reworded last bit to avoid confusion for people.

• andrew
  • thinkbroadband staff

@AndrueC

unlimited*

• otester
  • over 6 years ago

Instyalled the latest version of the app for improved battery life, it has improved from taking 36 hours to drain the battery to 20 hours.
The only thing I have noticed whilst running the program I get a better signal, than when it is un-installed. Which makes me wonder if the networks can identify the program & boost your performance to give false readings.

• bigluap
  • over 6 years ago

@otester:Nope. Unlimited. There's no point splitting hairs over it. No ISP will ever, /ever/ offer an unrestricted service without caveats. Yes they reserve the right to act if they think other users are being affected but:

* Aside from the occasional fault no-one ever reports slow speeds.
* Be have never kicked anyone off nor throttled their connection for downloading too much.

One person got kicked off for DOSing their DNS server. A couple of people were asked to exercise restraint for a couple of hours during a major network fault.

• AndrueC
  • over 6 years ago

Epic fail on O2's part. Over 20m mobile customers to sell to with a premium quality LLU product and this is the best they can do?

• herdwick
  • over 6 years ago

I've just left despite excellent & faultless services as far as I'm concerned because I want Sky's Anytime+ service. To be blunt I'm dreading the move which happens tomorrow. I'm sure there are others forced to migrate due to external circumstances.

• kevindb
  • over 6 years ago

o2 increased their prices a few months back and have totally failed to embrace FTTC no wonder they are loosing customers.

• Going_Digital
  • over 6 years ago

i left because there was no llu ports available when i moved..... that was about 10 month ago now and when i phoned to enquire about moveing back i was told there still wasnt any ports available. no fiber product wont have helpped there cause any. wonder how sky are doing?????

• omnius
  • over 6 years ago

I bet if Be/O2 start to offer FTTC/FTTP services, their Broadband customer base would go up.

• chris6273
  • over 6 years ago

It might also help if they unbundle more exchanges. I can't remember the last time I saw Be/O2 unbundle exchanges.

• chris6273
  • over 6 years ago

I think a clever move for Be would be to offer a 20/10 FTTC based service. Presumably not as expensive as a full 40/10 and judging from responses I've seen it'd be quite popular. A lot of people don't need more than 20Mb/s but would appreciate the upload.

• AndrueC
  • over 6 years ago

If using Openreach FTTC same cost - there isn't a 20/10 GEA product. Be/O2 could limit data throughput to 20M to manage backhaul load, if necessary.

• herdwick
  • over 6 years ago

I am a mobile customer and was offered O2 broadband over the phone when renewing my contract, for the curious my prime reason for turning down was they had no LLU at my exchange whilsy sky did so I stuck with ukonline. (at the time). Unlike talktalk and sky O2 seem to have gone backwards on investment by adding shaping and having the lowest LLU coverage.

• chrysalis
  • over 6 years ago

also to add they didnt try very hard, I said no and that was that, some companies really try to push new services on to you repeated times.

• chrysalis
  • over 6 years ago

andrueC do you see the upload as the major benefit on a 20/10 FTTC service?I see the vastly increased average download speed as the major benefit, I feel you made the common moistake of treating a 16mbit adsl product as 16mbit when in reality its 4mbit. So a 16mbit adsl2+ product to a 20mbit FTTC product is a 5x increase in speed for the typical customer.

• chrysalis
  • over 6 years ago

This is also why even a 20/10 FTTC service may not be doable for O2, as their backhaul may only be able to cater for typical adsl2+ speeds (4-6mbit).

• chrysalis
  • over 6 years ago

@chyrsalis:What are you dribbling on about 16Mb/s connections for? I never even mentioned them.

I just said there was a lot of interest in the idea of a 20/10 product. For most people anything above 20Mb/s is irrelevant. Even for a family it doesn't offer anything much since it's enough for three or four iPlayer 'HD' streams. However a lot of people want to share videos these days a 10Mb/s upload is a very useful improvement.

• AndrueC
  • over 6 years ago

And yes, I would well imagine that their current backhaul arrangements are inadequate but that's stating the bleedin' obvious. I wasn't suggesting that there would be no additional cost. Merely that it might not be 'as expensive' as a full 40/10 product.

• AndrueC
  • over 6 years ago

I agree 20/10 may be a good intermediate product to provide, the only point I was questioning was more that if the increased upload would be the major attraction or not. They could even do a 10/10 product, advertise as a sync broadband service.

• chrysalis

@AndrueC

I suggest you take a look at some of the C&W resellers.

• otester
  • over 6 years ago

I'm still on O2 as currently (as an old customer) I am still not traffic shaped. They did try to get me to take up an 'offer' a while back that stated in the small print I would be moved to traffic shaping. At £14.99 unlimited there's not enough price difference to make a switch worthwhile at present (connection has been flawless for the 2 years I've been with them), but as soon as they move me to a traffic shaped service I'll be gone.

• JDPower
  • over 6 years ago

This is what has been O2's downfall - you can't put up the price twice in a couple of months AND at the same time reduce the quality of the product, how they didn't see that as commercial suicide I'll never understand.

• JDPower
  • over 6 years ago

Same here, been with O2 for a few years. Didnt appreicate the price hike, and if anything else changes I'll be off (no traffic shaping is keeping me here for now).

Still , I came from Sky (and before that Be). Sky certainly arnet any better.
Lower sync speed compared to Be, and much less reliable. Plus the routers Sky put out are rubbish.

I'm happy where I am for now.

Slim

• audioslim
  • over 6 years ago

Still , I came from Sky (and before that Be). Sky certainly arnet any better.

I'm happy where I am for now.

Slim