Broadband News

Openreach announce further 66 exchanges for fibre broadband

BT Openreach have announced 66 further exchanges to be upgraded with fibre-based broadband today which include different areas of the country. This will cover nearly one million new homes and businesses, the majority of which will go live next year, but some are to be enabled by the end of 2011. Those who sign up will have access to speeds of up-to 40meg downstream and 10meg upstream through fibre-to-the-cabinet (FTTC) technology.

Openreach will also be conducting a new trial into using 'white space' spectrum for wireless broadband access technology on the Isle of Bute. White space is the set of frequencies that is available between UHF TV channels and is left available to avoid interference occurring. It can be used to deliver high speed broadband, dubbed 'super Wi-Fi' by the US telecommunications regulator, the FCC. Openreach will use the trial to see if the technology is viable for providing access where people live in broadband not-spots or slow spots.

"Being able to bring faster broadband speeds within reach of more than five million premises is a significant milestone and we are well on our way to passing 10 million in 2012 and two-thirds of UK premises by the end of 2015. This is the largest single commercial investment in fibre-based broadband infrastructure ever undertaken in the UK and is one of the biggest civil engineering projects running in the country at this time..

The final ten per cent of the UK is going to be the hardest to reach with fixed line super-fast broadband and so we are busy trialling other technologies. One of these is based on white space and I'm glad to say the initial results are very encouraging. It's early days but our hope is that this technology may provide an effective solution for 'not spots' and 'slow spots'."

Liv Garfield, (CEO) Openreach

BT also released some statistics for the new fibre network they are deploying which will see over 30,000 cabinets installed, with 200,000 distribution points, 1,000 exchanges enabled and over 50,000km of fibre optic cable.

Full details including changes to existing exchanges can be found at www.superfast-openreach.co.uk.

The 66 new exchanges are as below. The majority of exchanges will be fibre-to-the-cabinet (FTTC) whilst a few will see a mix of FTTC and fibre-to-the-premesis (FTTP) and are listed as FTTC/P.

Exchange Name Technology Date
WESTGATE FTTC/P 2012
WILLOWCROFT FTTC Dec-11
WINTON FTTC 2012
WOODLEY, GREATER MANCHESTER FTTC 2012
WOODSEATS FTTC/P 2012
WORKSOP FTTC 2012

Comments

NAIRN?!?!?

My exchange still not listed, but Nairn is so close to me, and half the size :(.

• JB68
  • over 6 years ago

Also yet to make any list :(

• GMAN99

Also yet to make any list :(

• GMAN99
  • over 6 years ago

Slowly but surely! I live north of Inverness. BT seemed to have listed more Scottish locations this time (more than normal I would add!) - not big progress but getting there.

• gmackay1903
  • over 6 years ago

Have updated the article with a bit more detail on the exchanges. Note that in the data on the superfast-openreach site, many exchanges are erroneously listed as being in Fife when they aren't!

• john
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 6 years ago

Yeah, I'm in Scotland too, so this is big progress.

• JB68
  • over 6 years ago

What the point of FTTC for Leek, Staffordshire, big countryside, too many hills, few houses there. Waste of money. Shame on you BT.

• adslmax
  • over 6 years ago

Seriously BT, what have you got against Maidstone! Including this list it is pretty much the only major Kent town not on the rollout plans.

• SpindleKing
  • over 6 years ago

......and of course Stafford is virtually covered with Virgin.

Whats the point of FTTC for Leek? The same as everywhere else surely? People all over the country need access to 'superfast' Broadband, not just those in big conurbations.

No chance of any of it for me however - 'final third' - probably 'final tenth' more like. Ten farms in a half mile radius does not look like a likely choice for FTTC at any time. BT can't provide Broadband down copper to me so its just as well I can get 3G with a roof aerial!!

• PhilCoates
  • over 6 years ago

I was born in Leek. The family moved away though a long time abck. I think they tore the hospital down at some point as well. On the occasions I've gone back it's always struck me as a bit of a northern dump :-/

• AndrueC
  • over 6 years ago

Still - it's not about 'who deserves it'. It's 'where is it cost effective'. It might not be that big but if it happens to have ready access to backhaul then the figures may make more sense.

Even a city of ten million is hard to justify if it happens to be on top of Mt Everest :D

• AndrueC
  • over 6 years ago

How about BT enable the ones they have already planned? My local exchange was FFTC enabled 9months ago, yet BT.com/infinity now shows 30/09/2011 as my activation date!! almost 12months after my exchange went live!

• cpritcharduk
  • over 6 years ago

Also fed up waiting on Maidstone. I was told we were on the roadmap and would be announced 'any day soon' back in November. Looks like we're going to be waiting way into 2012....

• BT_Boredband
  • over 6 years ago

I will be interesting to hear why my city is defined as "hard to reach" given that it seems it will be in this final 10%, also alongside nottingham.

• chrysalis
  • over 6 years ago

andrue I keep saying this, this is clearly more then about costs, the city has backhaul going into it, villages around it have been picked. So its not costs, it must be a revenue factor in the decision, eg. maybe too many businesses on leased lines or the fact the city isnt affluent, which BT will never admit publicly as a policy.

• chrysalis
  • over 6 years ago

is this how it is from now on then, 6 month wait for 50 or so exchanges mainly outside cities?

• chrysalis
  • over 6 years ago

Chrysalis -my belief is that wherever there is competition in the form of Virgin, Sky, O2/BE (and perhaps TalkTalk), then Openreach/BT will provide FTTC.

Can think of several places where there are fewer lines than the satellite exchange (10,000 lines) I am connected to (via 5-6 km of wire) and the town exchange (20,000) lines, where they are listed or active, but this town isn't.

Some small place in S Wales "up the valleys" with 2,500 lines is getting it, yet here with a university, hospital, council HQ, not even 'future' date. Daft!

• NetGuy
  • over 6 years ago

AndrueC - surely Leek is a Midlands town, not Northern :) My BiL is from there and while it has some grime, I think I will have to move to Leek to a spare bedroom, as they will be getting it years before this area in N Wales might even be hinted at!

• NetGuy
  • over 6 years ago

Once again cumbria is left out, at this rate there will be a huge black hole (apart from the pin prick that is penrith) in the FTTC/P roadmap. Digital divide????? the gap between the sun and the earth is smaller.

As for the small exchanges that some have "complained" about getting it i say grats bt for getting something right at last, did india tell you to do it??????

In responce to what netguy said the answer seems clear...... write to virgin or any independant net supplyer and ask for provion to be made, BT will be there like a shot!!

• omnius
  • over 6 years ago

Question.... the ceo said "The final ten per cent of the UK is going to be the hardest to reach with fixed line super-fast broadband", exactly how much easier was it to reach with copper????

• omnius
  • over 6 years ago

@NetGuy:Extreme north Midlands then - it's only 20 miles south east of Manchester. It's slightly more northerly than Wrexham :)

• AndrueC
  • over 6 years ago

Well in my town one neighboring smaller exchange in should we say a posher area with more houses than businesses is enabled now, but all the cabs are not in yet, again the first to get the cabs are in the richest areas, there is another nearby exchange scheduled for next year, but again the exchange that I'm connected to has been missed out, all are market 3 exchanges

• tommy45
  • over 6 years ago

VM alone wont get FTTC, I have VM here and they been here since jan 2010. They been in most of rest of suburbs for 10 years.

• chrysalis
  • over 6 years ago

I live in Fareham, in between Portsmouth and Southampton which have had FTTC rolled out for a while but thre is no sign of it happening any time soon. We have MOD and a number of alrge businesses here which want and need it but BT is not listening again...

• infinidim
  • over 6 years ago

Hurrah, finally my exchange has been listed SMCO Cowley... and for the end of the year too! So that spreadsheet on the forums was right about phase 7B.

• themanstan
  • over 6 years ago

infinidim , I think the MOD will get by without FTTC ;o)

• GMAN99
  • over 6 years ago

None around me again, never mind it will be a long time, as 80% are VM cable around here

• chefbyte
  • over 6 years ago

5 new exchanges in doncaster, funny how OR are targeting most areas covered by digital region FTTC.

• ddean83
  • over 6 years ago

@GMAN99. Are they still using Aldis lamps?

• alwall
  • over 6 years ago

@Netguy. I'm not sure whether that always applies. I'm in a large village (population c.10,000) which is bigger than some small towns. It has all the competitors you mention including Virgin Media, is located in an affluent area, yet there's not a sniff of FTTC.

• alwall
  • over 6 years ago

DigitalRegion are no credible threat ATM to BT, AFAIK they still have <500 connected end users and only 4 or 5 small ISPs signed up. I know the guys in the neighbouring office were without their connection the other day as well as it went AWOL for a large part of the day - even when it works they are only seeing throughput of about 25Mbit/s (We get 21Mbit/s with our Be DSL) - and there's a cab right outside our door!

• KarlAustin

chrysalis,
Loads of cabs appearing in Clarendon Park, our pockets obviously arent deep enough!!

• philce
  • over 6 years ago

Cabinets appearing doesn't mean it will be enabled soon. I have seen cabinets near me on a different exchange for over a year, and the exchange has a December 2011 enablement date.

• john
  • thinkbroadband staff
  • over 6 years ago

The existence of Digital Region implies at least some kind of business case. In other words it suggests that area was never a completely lost cause. With BT in the middle of a major roll-out it perhaps just got that little bit easier to stretch the budget and upgrade it. Competition was almost certainly a factor in that as well - of course it would be.

Shouldn't you be happy? As an end user you are benefiting either way and it's likely that BT can offer a better service than some half-baked conglomerate of local interest groups.

• AndrueC
  • over 6 years ago

At the end of the day people should avoid taking these decisions personally. BT don't hate people in remote areas. They don't have a vendetta against country dwellers. They'd like to provide everyone in the UK with a service if they can make a business case for it.

They didn't see DR and decide to move in to swot it. DR might have helped BT create a viable business case but that's a good thing for consumers.

• AndrueC
  • over 6 years ago

yeah seems we not rich enough to afford infinity which costs the same as 10mbit VM and adsl LOL.

• chrysalis
  • over 6 years ago

Don't hold your breath, my date has gone from end of May to end of June and now along with this update end of September, so perhaps CHristmas if I am lucky. BT seem to be announcing these dates just to string people along.

• Going_Digital
  • over 6 years ago

I think there was bound to be a delay in many of the current dates... remember the article about over 300 new field engineers from the armed forces. They'll need to pair them up with existing field engineers to get hands on experience and that slows things down.
Things will speed up when once they're savvy and confident with what needs to be done.

• themanstan
  • over 6 years ago

In my Virgin cabled area (Twickenham, London) the RFS date for our exchange (Kneller Hall) has gone from Sept 2011 to 2012 with no month specified. :-(

• bsdnazz
  • over 6 years ago

Why is it BT's intention to string people along if there is a delay?

The quicker the network goes in, the faster people switch to them, and the more money generated.

It could be due to location limitations of getting the equipment onsite, or planning permission, or any other possible valid reason.

• russianmonkey
  • over 6 years ago

Delays are always going to happen in a large roll out, they have changed from a phased roll out as mentioned on another site.

The operator told ISPreview.co.uk that where they have spare manpower/capacity they will bring exchanges forward, where there isn’t the resource they will move them back and "thus keeping the overall momentum of the programme up".

• ccxo
  • over 6 years ago

CLECKHEATON!!!! FINALLY, i was begining to think
my town was taken off the map!
personal note to gman99, i do apologise about my personal attacks, but your obvious biased towards
british telecom with regard to virgin media and other isp's. if bt upgraded the lines of those who would not recieve fibre, instead of leaving them in the lurch. you argue about economics but they spent billions on that useless excercise called 21cn.

• creakycopperline

SOUTHBOURNE!!!
About bloody time I heard something happening to my exchange, the ONLY exchange in the local area that hasn't been ADSL 2+ enabled! Not feeling pissed off so much but it better be done sooner than later as the rest of Bournemouth/Poole/Christchurch have had it for over a year! The Boscombe exchange is getting it sooner then mine and its only 2 miles down the road from it :/

• silver47
  • over 6 years ago

Creaky you don't even understand what 21CN is if you did you wouldn't have posted what you did as it makes no sense.

Anyway I'm glad your exchange is up... I used to work in your town. My first place of employment :)

• GMAN99
  • over 6 years ago

really?...as i can make sense of it 21cn's job was to make managing the network simpler and cheaper. although i finally know when my own area is planned to be upgraded. it's frustrating for those stuck in the sticks or semi rural areas with low bandwidth, with no upgrade in sight.

• creakycopperline
  • over 6 years ago

It is simpler and cheaper for BT to run the network under 21CN so its not a waste of money or a useless exercise. The reason behind 21CN predates any FTTC/FTTP rollout plans, FTTC/P are new rollout phases that can use 21CN access nodes. FTTC/P wasn't the reason behind 21CN

• GMAN99
  • over 6 years ago

The West Country dips out again; no wonder the majority here are with other providers

• Paullaxton
  • over 6 years ago

I wasn't able to get broadband when I first moved into my house, served by the HUNSLET exchange, back in 2002 because my estate had fibre between the exchange and the CAB I was told. Eventually BT dragged copper to my CAB and then I was able to order Broadband. Just wondering why the HUNSLET exchange isn' listed as being having super-fast broadband - unless they REMOVED the fibre???

• nrobst
  • over 6 years ago

Can anyone let me know why Chichester in West Sussex (18,000 premises) and Bognor Regis (18,800 premises) are even on this list considering all the high profile businesses and residences in the area? Could it possibly be that there are no Virgin Cable connections in these areas purchance? TBH, I think BT are just purely playing the competition game, no more, no less.

• big_bubbaloola
  • over 6 years ago

*Are not on this list I meant. Sorry.

• big_bubbaloola
  • over 6 years ago

Not on the list yet again. Nothing new there then. This year, next year, sometime, never. I'd bet on it being the last of the list.BT still only offering 512kbps after a line check, " as this is the most the line can sustain". Oh Yeah? I'm still getting 1.9MB on this same line from TalkTalk. Will ,I get fibre this year, next year, sometime, never? Odds on it's never.

• dragon1945
  • over 6 years ago

Good news for B-O-T and I have to give BT credit they have been reliable and came out on one occasion free of charge to check my installation out.

• pipesmoker
  • over 6 years ago

No rhyme nor reason to which exchanges get FTTCab. SMCO Cowley (the exchange to which my village is connected) was proposed as one of 14 that might be used for the FTTC trials. It's only just been listed for FTTC. Does that make sense? You'd expect somewhere which is suitable for a fibre trial to meet all the criteria for upgrade to have been in the first couple of exchanges listed. So there is certain degree of lottery statistics to which get annnounced and which don't.

• themanstan
  • over 6 years ago

Intriguing that the lists show the Windsor exchange upgrade to infinity this month (Yeeha!), but if I enter my own 01753 8***** number I'm told 30 September.
It's all cobblers anyway, because they been shifitng the dates back and back since late 2009.

• colrob
  • over 6 years ago

absolutely nothing in Suffolk as usual
2 major towns + felixstowe dock largest port in the UK + the BT research centre at martlsham heath what do we have to do to get fttc

• koiman
  • over 6 years ago

this article is 10 months old and so far these exchanges [including mine] have moved from, future, to coming soon list. and folk say BT are moving ahead fast. anyways, 2 & bit months to go

• creakycopperline
  • over 5 years ago

@creakycopperline.

Is your cabinet ready ?..Big question.

• MAN_FACE
  • over 5 years ago

the pre drilled floor has been cemented in.... only the cab to install.

• creakycopperline