Broadband News

BT provide further details on Cornwall's Super-fast broadband programme

BT have announced further details of the roll-out of super-fast broadband to Cornwall, with over half of exchanges expected to be enabled within 18 months. The area is to receive faster broadband through a joint partnership with BT, the European Union, Cornwall Council and Cornwall Development Company with funding from Europe providing its largest ever grant for broadband.

17 exchanges will be upgraded by March 2012 with a further 26 planned for completion by Autumn 2012. This will include a mix of both fibre-to-the-cabinet (FTTC) which can provide download speeds of up to 40meg and also fibre-to-the-home/premesis (FTTH/P) which offers speeds of up to 100meg. The original announcement of the project suggested that full fibre penetration will reach around 50% of homes and businesses that are within an upgraded area (about 40% of all of Cornwall). There will however be some gaps in the super-fast broadband rollout which will later be filled in using technologies such as wireless.

"This is an ambitious and visionary programme that will put Cornwall at the forefront of super-fast broadband connectivity. It will create new opportunities for everyone in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, giving our businesses a competitive edge as well as opening new doors for people of every age and background. Super-fast broadband has the power to transform every aspect of life in Cornwall, including healthcare, lifelong learning and the way we all work and play."

Sally David, (Chief Executive) BT Wholesale

Exchanges upgraded by March 2012 will be: Bodmin, Bude, Callington, Camborne, Falmouth, Gunnislake, Kilkhampton, Lanivet, Launceston, Liskeard, Marazion, Penryn, Porthtowan, Redruth, St Austell, Truro and Widemouth Bay.

Exchanges upgraded by Autumn 2012: Downderry, Fowey, Fraddon, Grampound Road, Hayle, Landrake, Lanreath, Looe, Lostwithiel, Mevagissey, Millbrook, Nanpean, Penzance, Polperro, Rilla Mill, Roche, St Germans, St Ives, St Just, St Mawgan, St Tudy, Stithians, Torpoint, Tregony, Week St Mary and Widegates

More details about the programme can be found at the superfast cornwall website.

Comments

First post :D

• Tox-Laximus
  • over 6 years ago

Why do a bunch of pastries get super broadband?

What about the rest of us?

• Tox-Laximus
  • over 6 years ago

They aren't getting super broadband, they are getting copper from cabinets. It isn't futureproof and it will all be to do again. The other 60% will get bonded copper BET at great expense to get a meg. Many will be fobbed off with mobile. Be careful what you wish for.

• cyberdoyle
  • over 6 years ago

They're getting what can be afforded with the money. Better to reach everybody than a handful really well.

Copper from cabinets is a great jump and more than most people will need for a long time. Getting fibre to the cabinet makes it easier to get fibre out to everybody eventually. If the whole country were on 40/10 broadband speeds it would be a very good position. Don't knock it.

Where does it say that 60% will get bonded copper?

• SheepFarmer
  • over 6 years ago

The site says that an estimated 20% of homes and businesses will not be able to get fibre optic superfast broadband.

Did you just make up the 60% of people getting BET or is there something on the site that I've missed?

• SheepFarmer
  • over 6 years ago

Sheepfarmer, she doesn't understand I'm afraid and no there is no mention of 60% BET or even 6% its cd's usual BT bashing approach. She'd rather spend all the money on FTTP for 1,000 people than FTTC for 30,000 (example figures, not relevant to Cornwall)

You are right 40Mbps would do many for many years to come and OR are already looking to up that speed next year.

cd have you put in an application for BDUK money yet?

• GMAN99
  • over 6 years ago

Don't forget that FTTC speeds should increase to 80/20 Mbps next year, which most of us will find ample for some while.

• New_Londoner
  • over 6 years ago

Sorry New_L but copper isn't capable of super fast broadband in cd's eyes. Even if they could throw 150Mbps down it its not super fast unless its fibre.

• GMAN99
  • over 6 years ago

Remind me - is any of this involving BDUK?

• AndrueC
  • over 6 years ago

Lol - guess not. So there we have it. If you want a decent connection and you want it NOW - ask BT, your regional council and the EU. Don't bother asking the government because they only do pilots.

• AndrueC
  • over 6 years ago

CD is as clueless as ever. Sadly she's typical of certain farming folk who are so used to being subsidised that they expect others to fund everything they want and do. All she does is bleat like the sheep many farmers rear.

• MCM999
  • over 6 years ago

Correct AndrueC, Cornwall went straight to the EU as a result - money sent work starts.

• GMAN99
  • over 6 years ago

CD you have just really infuriated me, I live in cornwall and i can say one thing thank god the eu are helping us out or we would be waiting till year 2100 for some improvement in BB, copper is capable of dishing out 1GBps (correct me if im right or wrong but isnt that faster than the fibre that BT are putting to properties at the moment ?) so CD needs to learn networking for dummys first (rant over)

• ypmud
  • over 6 years ago

CD - Please tell us where you'd get the money from to build this new super high speed fibre to everywhere network?

• russianmonkey
  • over 6 years ago

"Did you just make up the 60% of people getting BET" - naturally. FTTH or bust. Nothing is better than something that isn't fibre, etc.

• herdwick
  • over 6 years ago

"What about the estimated number of up to 20% of homes and businesses that will not be able to get fibre optic superfast broadband?
Even these homes and businesses will still be able to have faster broadband than at present by 2014. We are aiming to use other technologies, such as wireless, satellite and advanced copper based technologies to bring faster broadband to anyone who wants it and cannot get fibre optic connections."

• herdwick
  • over 6 years ago

mea culpa guys, meant to say adsl or bonded copper BET. had to delete some words and missed out the flagship BT product. Good old adsl, which is still gonna be used because cabinets will exist for a few people and protect the phone network for another decade. It was honest mistake guv.
No, not applying for BDUK money.
We're JFDI ourselves.

• cyberdoyle
  • over 6 years ago

Good on you, not sure others would call a 4Mb backhaul superfast broadband though sadly.

• GMAN99
  • over 6 years ago

cd - forgiven, but what is the issue with a service that works at a price people will pay for.

Is your solution wholesale?

• Somerset
  • over 6 years ago

why leave the villages out until last? they are generally the people like me whom need the speed!

• thomaswarne
  • over 6 years ago

why do people in villages need speed more than others? home workers, business use? there are other options for high speed.
villages are left until last due to lower return on investment

• CaptainHulaHoop
  • over 6 years ago

Somerset, CD still hasn't answered my question as to how to fund a fibre network covering the whole country.

• russianmonkey
  • over 6 years ago

Unfortunately, without funding injections like France 0.5 billion euros per year from gov there will be no national fibre network.

• themanstan
  • over 6 years ago

i think CD has no no no idea on this at all basically i know that bt are using cornwall as a widespread test bed for roll out over the whole country, personally i am glad that cornwall is gonna be the first to get something rather than london or somewhere else!

• ypmud

@themanstan

Can be done with private sector, you need competition for that though, government hasn't exactly made that easy...

• otester

@otester

Indeed! But competition needs to be incentivised... OFCOM however is based on restrictions rather than incentives to roll-out. This splendid EU incentive has BT using a variety of technologies to deliver "reasonble and useful " broadband speeds to as many people as possible in Cornwall. Note: useful speeds is from 2Mbps, if people recall the jump in functionality that you get going from to 2 from 0.5 Mbps. You get most of what the internet really has to offer. The fact is that most will get a lot more.

• themanstan
  • over 6 years ago

"The report proposes levying a EUR 0.75 'digial solidarity tax' on every internet and mobile phone subscription from 2012 to raise around EUR 540 million a year for the rural development fund"

Why can we not do this?.

• spetznaz
  • over 6 years ago

We almost did didn't we spetznaz? The digital tax on phone lines proposed under Labour scrapped by the Condems

What would you do with that money if it were raised, a lot of people would complain if it was given to a private company

• GMAN99
  • over 6 years ago

The whole thing is a sorry mess, the infrastructure (BT openreach in other words) should be public owned and wholesaled out to telcos, guess a lot of this is down to Thatcher's government..

• spetznaz
  • over 6 years ago

Yep, also what OR have now is a million miles away from what they bought from the government years back, I'm not sure the gov could or would want to afford to buy it back. Plus I wouldn't trust any of our parties to invest and drive it forward, they'd just slash it like they do everything else and... farm it out to private companies and we'd be back where we are now but will lots of different companies owning a bit instead

• GMAN99
  • over 6 years ago

It seems that BT are now backtracking on their original targets which does not inspire confidence for anyone living in vilages currently out of reach of broadband. We, around Trispen, are 11km from our Truro exchange and can get no connection at all. The main reason is the unplanned haphazard way that the o/h cables were run in the first place. The Michell exchange is only 2-3km away, how daft is that?
Also they say that the gaps will be filled with wireless technology etc. afterwards! How long are we going to wait?

• Sceptical
  • over 6 years ago

@spetnaz:BT bought a decrepit and not-fit-for-the-purpose network when it was formed. They transformed it into one of the best voice and data networks in the world. Even the local loop looks good when you put reach ahead of speed.

I wouldn't mind betting that the %ge of people in the UK who can't get a viable internet connection is amongst the lowest in the world.

NB:By 'viable' I mean capable of web browsing and email - the stuff that most people need to do.

• AndrueC
  • over 6 years ago

(cont'd) and you know why the network was decrepit when they bought it? Because it had been run by a government owned company. Looking at today's news - just what, exactly, convinces you that handing control of /anything/ to the government would be a good idea?

I'm not bashing the ConDems particularly. I'm thinking of everything I've read and heard in the 35 years since I've been old enough to understand it.

Please enlighten me:What is it you've found that gives you confidence in the abilities of government?

• AndrueC
  • over 6 years ago

(cont'd) in fact the whole BDUK v. Cornwall debacle tells us what government can do. Perhaps in the light of that I might be prepared to consider handing control over to the EU but it seems unnecessary. The EU and BT seem to be on the case.

BDUK just seems to be on the take.

• AndrueC
  • over 6 years ago

I agree that it would be a disaster handing over control to the government. I think that my main gripe is that generally speaking the towns have had broadband at one level or other for many years. I would just like to see the areas that can't get any connection at all, a fair crack of the whip and not be left to the end. A lot of people require more than just surfing and email in these ares. We are a village of about 1200 pop. on the A39, why is this so difficult?

• Sceptical
  • over 6 years ago

@Sceptical:The problem is simple - money.

My town has a population of 12,000. That means we have 10 times the spending power that you do and that's before we even consider the number and size of businesses.

• AndrueC
  • over 6 years ago

Put another way:If it costs £1m to upgrade us and £100k to upgrade you it still makes more sense to upgrade us. Probably way more when you consider that we have two industrial estates. We even have high tech companies - Mercedes GP as it happens.

No-one 'has it in' for villages. It's just that companies (and governments if they only knew it) have to get a return on the investment. The smaller and more remote a 'settlement' is the harder it becomes to get an adequate return.

• AndrueC
  • over 6 years ago

I do however think that things could be done better. I'd like to see BT doing FTTP where it is currently doing FTTC (and taking a little longer in order to keep the accountants happy) and pushing FTTC into the no- and slow- spots on a priority.

That to my mind would be a better use of technology but unfortunately as noted above - most likely the RoI isn't there.

Oh and competitors probably comes into this somewhere. BT can't ignore people living in VM areas. Maybe if Ofcom could get them to work together that wouldn't matter.

• AndrueC
  • over 6 years ago

@AndrueC: I understand the economics of it and clearly they cannot be ignored, otherwise these advances would never happen. While we would all like FTTP, wow wouldn't that be good, I feel that other than for new builds, that are ducted for it and should be dealt with ecomically the concentration should be FTTC. This would free up resouces and provide a very usable service to vast majority of users (including heavy downloaders) and give a much wider coverage, more quickly.

• Sceptical
  • over 6 years ago

I think that BT is betting that FTTC will have the same technology based enhancements as ADSL had. Going from 1-2 Mbps to 8Mbps and then 24 Mbps. So if you start at 40Mbps, they already will go to 80 Mbps next year and the technology exists for 110Mbps.

• themanstan
  • over 6 years ago

I don't think comparing the phone system in this country from the 1980's to 2010's proves anything as the use of it has changed so much, where I work we have wiring that would not look out of place in the 2nd world war (after bomb damage!) and I know this is not an isolated case.

My point is a fast internet connection is becoming and (in my opinion) will become almost as vital as water, electricity and a phone line so leaving the infrastucture in the hands of private companies is only ever going to result in what we have at the moment (digital divide).

• spetznaz
  • over 6 years ago

The real blame lies with the previous government as we are spending around £30bn a year on debt repayment which could pay for a new FFTH network across 100% of the UK every year!.

• spetznaz
  • over 6 years ago

Oh I hear what your saying spetznaz, for me there's nothing wrong with private companies doing in this IMO, they just want paying that's all.

The government in this country don't have a good track record of running/developing/investing in anything infrastructure related so... I wouldn't put too much faith there.

• GMAN99
  • over 6 years ago

@spetznaz:"The real blame lies with the previous governmen"..it always does. That's the point of my objection. I doubt anyone thinks BT is doing as much as the country needs but it seems to be operating a far better network than its predecessor. I think it's very reasonable to compare the two.

The PO network was barely (if at all) fit for purpose, unreliable and expensive. BT's network is fit for purpose. It is currently providing probably 99% of people with 99% of what they need for a very low (plenty would say stupidly low) cost.

• AndrueC

@AndrueC

and OFCOM... don't forget them. Whilst they have limited the way in BT can leverage the monopoly position, the restrictions placed on BT have made sure the operator with the most cash is disinclined from investing for the future or not allowing it at all. OFCOM only allowed BT to deliver domestic fibre in 2009. Hence, the lag compared to europe.

• themanstan
  • over 6 years ago

BT was crap under the last government and is crap now, all monopoly's are crap because there is no competition.

• Tox-Laximus
  • over 6 years ago

In spite of the size of BT, I don't doubt on balance they give a good service. My own experience with them, over the years has rarely been good. I can't think of a time when an engineer has repaired a fault, without call-back. They would have saved money replacing the cable down to our hamlet years ago rather than the number of callouts they have had. They are under pressure to deal with a lot of calls quickly rather than fewer without call-back. A change of attitude is needed that in the long run would make them more efficient. BT did inherit a naff network but that was 30 years ago.

• Sceptical
  • over 6 years ago

As with everything Sceptical you'll always hear more about bad than good. My own experience of being with BT in my current premises of 14yrs is that I've not had one fault on my home line (broadband or voice) and only 2 or 3 over than period on my business line which have all been fixed very quickly.

• GMAN99
  • over 6 years ago

Not sure what you mean Tox, BT are just BT no matter who is in government, at least the last gov had a broadband tax to bring in some money that would have helped, as controversial as it was.

All this current gov is saying is... here you can spend some money on BB that you've already given us (digi switchover), but we'll waste a lot of it in the meantime, the rest if up to private business, cya

• GMAN99
  • over 6 years ago

The amount of friends/work mates I know who have poor quality lines would suggest 99% is highly optimistic (to me) more like 80-90%, even before considering other issues such as inadequate exchange capacity etc.

I guess we'll never know if a public network would be better or worse as its clearly not going to happen, but its clear to me the government need to prioritise the national budget and personally I would put more into something like a 21st century comms system rather than fighting in foreign countries and giving money to the EU.

• spetznaz
  • over 6 years ago

Look, I really dont meant to be funny, but what on earth is so special about Cornwall?

• Alchemyfire

Who is CD?

• mcowley01
  • over 6 years ago

@spetz:A line would have to be very poor not to support surfing or email. What do they keep the connection for if they can't do either of those?

As I wrote in my original response - that's all that most people really need. It's probably all that at least 75% even want. The rest is just frippery and luxury. So I'm afraid I'm sticking to my guns. 99% of people can do 99% of what they need to do.

• AndrueC
  • over 6 years ago

@AndrueC: Having done a bit of homework, I'm afraid I agree with the figures spetznaz mentioned, I think that they are much more realistic. Everybody's needs and expectation from the internet are different. It's a bit presumptuous to tell them that surfing and email is all they need. The point you make about a poor line is bang on, we can't even make a connection at all, even though BT say we should get one.

• Sceptical
  • over 6 years ago

gman99. sucking on bt's preverbial genitals again i see.

• creakycopperline
  • over 6 years ago

Your constant personal attacks are tiresome creaky, please comment on the article or.. not at all, such comments have been removed in the past and no doubt will be again.

• GMAN99
  • over 6 years ago

the moment you get stop being a BT loving lackey,
is the moment, i shall stop pointing it out.
4mb is not superfast, it's weak as piss.

• creakycopperline